Hurricane Irene

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Attachments

• Irene.gif
    Irene.gif
    33.6 KB · Views: 22
Ah yes, Miss Irene. We're standing by, giving her the hairy eyeball. Engineless boat complicates removal from the docks, so hoping that just doubling down on the docklines will suffice.

And there's lots of possibilities for changes in the 4 and 5 day forecast range, always hopeful they push out to sea. She's a big 'un, though, with storm winds more than 200 miles from the center and hurricane force about 80 miles out.

Hoping for the best for South Carolina, Sarah, and for the entire eastern seabord. :(

Not wishing Category 3-4 on anyone, but would the next one *please* stay at tropical storm force and slam into Texas? Thanks in advance.

Yes...we are watching her here in Southeast Virginia. Right now ...they are thinking bulls eye for North Carolina...but that could change. We will all know more in a couple of days. I think I saw a blurb Sarah...where they have already ordered evacuations for Ocracoke Island which is near Hatteras N.C. Have they started evacuations there in S.C.?
Have to admit I love weather...and hurricanes. One year..after mandatory evacuation...still stayed at the beach until the water came up to the steps of our cottage. :) I've never ridden a bulls eye direct hit out and don't want to.

Last edited:
Nah, we won't have any sort of evacuations until a day or so out. The reason they evac the Outer Banks is that they have to move a lot of folks with one very skinny road and a handful of ferries. That takes more time so they haul all the vacationers off island ahead of time.

We'll probably not see any of it based on current projections, but will keep the hairy eyeball on it until it passes by. Mostly the surfers will be delighted with the coming waves.

I'm a weather junkie and read just about everything there is about hurricanes. Have you read Isaac'ss Storm about the 1900 Galveston Hurricane? Great story! And of course the classic Condominium, by my near and dear John D. MacDonald.

A life dream is to get up in one of those hurricane hunter airplanes and actually get to fly into the eye of a storm. They will let journalists go along sometimes, but rarely the gen public. But what a ride that would be!

Sarah...flying into the eye would be awesome! I wrote the names of those books down.
and will see if my library has them. If not...I'm sure Amazon probably does.

I watch all those shows about the tornado chasers....:)

All that said, I still have great respect for the damage. Were you in South Carolina during Hugo in 1989? Flatten my Uncles cottage...absolute devastation. He never rebuilt.

We lived on Sullivans Island during Hugo and rode out the storm in a fishing shack on Lake Marion. Our house on the island had 5 feet of water in it and the roof came up in several places but it was standing, unlike those of many of our neighbors.
Sorry for your uncle -so many stories like that.

A life dream is to get up in one of those hurricane hunter airplanes and actually get to fly into the eye of a storm.
You know they carry the extra large reinforced barf bags in those aircraft, right? The kind with the adhesive border around the opening so that you can just tape the whole thing over your head?

Maybe you could find someone who's willing to strap you inside a dumpster and then haul it down a potholed road at 75 MPH while your friends beat on the outside (of the dumpster, not you) with steel bars...

We lived on Sullivans Island during Hugo and rode out the storm in a fishing shack on Lake Marion. Our house on the island had 5 feet of water in it and the roof came up in several places but it was standing, unlike those of many of our neighbors.
Sorry for your uncle -so many stories like that.

That's where his cottage was Sarah. Pretty much flattened it. His family home was in Columbia. He passed away from massive heart attack while on a treamill one day at a relatively young age...long before my Dad...so I'm thinking in his 60's.

You road it out in a fishing shack? Wow...!

Sarah, check out "Roar of the Heavens" by Bechtel. It covers Camille in both the gulf landing, and also the lesser known but even more lethal (in death toll) flooding and landslides days later in Nelson County, VA (my home).

Hope everyone in the Carolinas and up north get spared by Irene. Sarah, I'll be heading up and through Charlston in a couple weeks. Visiting my sister and BIL in Ocean Isle Beach, NC. They are sticking out on the little spur of NC about 10-15 miles north of the SC/NC border. Their neighbor town Sunset shows on the map. I'll wave as I pass you. I generally take the bypass around Charlston.

Yeah, that fishing shack turned out to not be such a great idea, but back then, no one really thought that hurricanes kept going inland. The conventional wisdom is that it would hit Charleston and return to sea. Instead, of course, it went straight through SC, NC, and kept going. The storm literally covered all of SC as it passed. Once the eye went over us, the winds changed directions and all the trees that didn't fall on the shack in the first half of the storm were breaking off and flying around.

Sullivans and Isle of Palms were very hard hit. Very close-knit communities and it was heartbreaking to see the homes of our friends just destroyed. Our drawbridge (the only access at that time to both islands) was torn from its pilings and it took months for the repairs to be made and for anyone to return to live on the island. Until Andrew came along, Hugo was the most expensive hurricane ever, in terms of property damage. Now it has dropped to 11 on the list, because of the incredibly damaging storms that have occurred in the 2000s.

Nords, that sounds about right--I would like the massive airsickness bags the best!

We lived on Sullivans Island during Hugo and rode out the storm in a fishing shack on Lake Marion....

You definitely used up one of the nine lives on that one. A fishing shack on a large body of water. Wow.

I came down to visit the area years later and the Hugo damage was still jaw dropping.

I hope you have one more life left for the fun plane ride.

Yeah, that fishing shack turned out to not be such a great idea, but back then, no one really thought that hurricanes kept going inland. The conventional wisdom is that it would hit Charleston and return to sea. Instead, of course, it went straight through SC, NC, and kept going. The storm literally covered all of SC as it passed. Once the eye went over us, the winds changed directions and all the trees that didn't fall on the shack in the first half of the storm were breaking off and flying around.

Sullivans and Isle of Palms were very hard hit. Very close-knit communities and it was heartbreaking to see the homes of our friends just destroyed. Our drawbridge (the only access at that time to both islands) was torn from its pilings and it took months for the repairs to be made and for anyone to return to live on the island. Until Andrew came along, Hugo was the most expensive hurricane ever, in terms of property damage. Now it has dropped to 11 on the list, because of the incredibly damaging storms that have occurred in the 2000s.

Nords, that sounds about right--I would like the massive airsickness bags the best!

Actually Sarah...my uncles cottage was on Isle of Palms....not Sullivan....now that you mentioned that name. Hugo was indeed ...absolutely devastating.!
Glad you made it thru....that shack!

Don't know what Irene will do...but I can not talk my daughter who lives in Va. Beach to come inland. Hard headed! Tried to tell her by the time she realizes she has to leave it will be too late. A mother's worry!
I hope it stays east..but it has shifted 100 miles west. We all know hurricanes can jag at the last minute and come inland.

Now while I mock you'll for your little earthquake. I will say hurricanes (and especially tornadoes) are scary. Hope everybody and their family stay safe.

Now while I mock you'll for your little earthquake. I will say hurricanes (and especially tornadoes) are scary. Hope everybody and their family stay safe.

Did you mean...."ya'll"....southern for "you all". ;)

Thanks for the well wishes...from all of us here on the east coast.

Here in DC we'll probably just get rain, but my best friends are stuck in the Bahamas...last I heard the hotel was going to trek them all off to a hurricane evacuation site, and that was yesterday morning. :(

Last edited:
kaudrey, which island are they on? We've gotten a few reports from the Abacos, which are in the northeastern Bahamas.

Good luck to those on the East Coast. We Katrina survivors understand your angst. Suggestion: - If you are in the path and MAY have damage, start researching and asking friends for names of reputable roofers, carpenters, tree removal services, and contractors. Once your area has damage...it is MUCH more difficult to "make your list".

I'm not too worried about the storm surge. That's why I bought on the other side of the bay from Ocean City. They can absorb the surge for us (I hope). Anyway, we're nearly 10' above sea level. Practically in the mountains. The winds are a little worrying, though. We get sustained 50+ mph winds every winter when the Nor'easters come through. But if we go a lot higher than that there might be some damage. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'll get back home tomorrow. That should give me time to haul everything that's not nailed or tied down into the garage before it hits. I'll check back in whenever we get internet access back, since we lose that even in light thunderstorms. Sarah, if I see the Stella Rose floating by I'll try to grab her for you.

Sarah, if I see the Stella Rose floating by I'll try to grab her for you.

Thanks! But considering her engine is in pieces in the bilge, she's no longer my favorite possession! :D So you can keep her if you have a diesel mechanic handy.

Hope y'all do okay with the storm and surge. We're in a "B" zone at the house, and on pilings, so like y'all, it would take a dang tidal wave to reach the floor. Not that we're looking for it, TD#10! :D

I've been visiting family in North Carolina over the past 2 weeks, headed back to Texas on Saturday. Hopefully anyhow.....

Thanks! But considering her engine is in pieces in the bilge, she's no longer my favorite possession! :D So you can keep her if you have a diesel mechanic handy.

Ahh! the pleasures of boating, I remember it well.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom