HVAC sticker shock so I replaced it myself, maybe you can too?

DSC800

Dryer sheet aficionado
Being early retired a few years now I am always looking for ways to save money and keep busy, this project covered both. Being a DIYr as much as I can and just now using AC for the first time this year (unlike other areas the weather in San Diego has been milder this year) I'm reminded of my HVAC replacement project from last year.

Our original Carrier HVAC, 1987 vintage, finally gave out August last year during a heat wave. Unfortunately all the r22 leaked out. Our neighbor with a smaller house just had theirs replaced with a Trane for $12k (incl $1k for duct repair & clean which was a ripoff). My three Yelp researched quotes were $10-$13k ($10k was a 60 day wait). I thought this was high and started researching my options. I found the industry to be a little on the shady side (surprise!) making me more determined to do it myself.

There are only a few brands that will sell consumer direct, three I looked at are: Goodman, AirQuest and another I forget. I went with Goodman. Goodman gets a bad rep but this is partly because the industry bad mouths them since they cut out the middleman and, no doubt, DIY installs can go bad. I bought a 3T/16 SEER unit with an 80k btu heater delivered for $3200. I removed my old unit in a day and a few days later installed the new unit taking another day. In between I cleaned up the install area, vent pipes, etc but it was basically a plug in replacement for the old unit, same specs.

I read up on current code to make sure that was covered and connected the gas and electric lines. For the condenser & evaporator hookup and charging I hired a pro to come out and braze the lines, install the TXV and charge with 410a. This was $650. I finished by hooking up the t-stat and adjusting the jumpers for the air volume to match my home size.

So, for ~$4k all in and approx 30 hours of my time, I'm very happy with my new HVAC and saved at least $6k for other things. A bonus is the efficiency of the new unit. The old unit was likely a 10 or 11 SEER when new, likely degraded over time to maybe an 8. The old unit drew 4kw vs the new unit's 2.5kw but the new unit cycles less time over an hour so it's close to a 50% efficiency improvement. I have excess solar so I wasn't concerned with the highest efficiency.

Anyway, if you are an average DIY'r and your HVAC needs replacing, like unit for like unit, do your research and you might want to consider this option. Even though the units were dimensionally the same I did need to do some minor rough carpentry, piping for gas, and electrical necessary for current code. I'm sure this work could have been hired out though.

Some HS friends of DW are AC installers for a major regional installer. When our unit gave out about 5 years ago, we gave them a call giving them the model numbers of existing unit. They showed up next day with a brand new Goodman and installed it in about 4 hours. No problem since. They explained to us theat Goodman gets a bad rap because the cater to the DIYer, and usually the DIYer is not as adept in properly installing, brazing, evacuating and recfilling units. We, too, saved about $6,000, but it also cost us a stek dinner, too!

Nice job guys.
I don't have central A/C but finally installed a mini split myself last fall.
All in was $850 for a 1 1/2 ton 17 SEER unit. Very happy and love the quiet and efficiency over a window unit.
Also love the $2500 or so in savings by DIY'ing it.:)

I had an older goodman unit that was about the 1989 vintage and although it was still running, I decided to replace the furnace but not the air, because it was still working good. I put the originals in myself. I bought the furnace out of a company in illinois that sells to the public as some states won't allow it. the furnace, a 96% efficiency unit cost 1300. my son and I removed the old unit and installed the new unit within a day. buying new black pipe and wiring is not really essential, but I felt better replacing the old gas piping. If you do a little research for dimensions on the furnace, you can usually match a furnace with the existing duct. needless to say I would replace the furnace in my other house without looking back. labor prices and list prices for parts are getting out of hand in today's world as far as I can tell. I had my 2 goodman furnaces and central air units for many years and did nothing to them except replace a circuit board that got wet when the air conditioning a-coil got plugged and ran water over it. the nice thing about goodman is the 10 year parts warranty and lifetime heat exchanger warranty. the bad is the warranty won't cover labor, but then the others don't either. the best thing is when you get it installed do as the other folks did and have it inspected by a pro to make sure everything in working the way it should and within the set parameters {gas pressure, and static pressure}.

I did the same as the OP and saved about the same money. The braze, evacuate, and top-up cost me $800, but I didn't get bids... just hired the guy and a truck that I'd been using to top up refrigerant for the last few years. Bought a deer lift at harbor freight to lower the old furnace and lift the new one!

We are going with a Goodman gas furnace on our home rebuild. We are doing all the work ourselfs.

Those are some high quotes, had a package unit (AC and propane furnace) installed last year for $8800. That included removing my old interior gas furnace, removing the evap cooler I was using, and installing a completely new return duct system.

I replaced my furnace about 10 years ago with the help of my dad's friend who was a retired HVAC contractor. The high efficiency furnace and some ducting (I moved the location from the middle of the basement to an outside wall) came to about $1500. It took the two of us about 5 hours start to finish, but I also spend a couple hours on my own drilling a couple holes through the basement wall for the intake and exhaust pipes.

[...]I'm reminded of my HVAC replacement project from last year. [...]
I am glad you were able to do the HVAC replacement yourself! And, I am sure you saved some $$ doing that. And the sense of accomplishment is probably over-the-moon, I'd imagine! :D

That said, I cannot possibly think of any other way I'd rather spend that money, than on getting somebody ELSE to replace my HVAC. :LOL: Sounds very grueling, especially here in New Orleans where attics get so hot in the late summertime. Paying to have it done would be a very easy way to maximize value for that money (for me).

I am glad you were able to do the HVAC replacement yourself! And, I am sure you saved some $$ doing that. And the sense of accomplishment is probably over-the-moon, I'd imagine! :D

That said, I cannot possibly think of any other way I'd rather spend that money, than on getting somebody ELSE to replace my HVAC. :LOL: Sounds very grueling, especially here in New Orleans where attics get so hot in the late summertime. Paying to have it done would be a very easy way to maximize value for that money (for me).

Thankfully not everyone has to go into an attic in New Orleans in summer. I replaced my furnace that was in the basement so it was room temperature. A little less than a day of work that really wasn't very hard saved me $4000.

Thankfully not everyone has to go into an attic in New Orleans in summer. I replaced my furnace that was in the basement so it was room temperature. A little less than a day of work that really wasn't very hard saved me $4000.
That's terrific! So glad you could do it at room temperature. :D

I wouldn't try to replace our furnace/AC system on my own. Our unit is in the attic with the heat exchanger sitting outside. Moving the system into the attic is not an easy task. We have a Lennox system and the main controller circuit card had failed twice. Each time the relays for the fan blower shorted. I replaced the relays on the circuit card both times and the system continued to operate. About 4 years ago I decided to replace the circuit card completely. I had one in standby waiting for the next failure. I replaced the thermostat controller with a Honeywell color touch screen Wifi controller about 6 years ago. Our system is now 25 years old and still operates but we know that eventually we will need it replaced. I intend to hire someone to do that.

Also consider that if you injure yourself lifting the system, your future medical costs will be much higher than the initial savings.

Last edited:
Same here, we won't even dream of doing it ourselves. We just moved into a 22-year old home and the HVAC systems have never been replaced. They are still working well but we decided to replace them. The existing ones were made by Carrier and we are replacing them with Carrier as well. One 3 Ton/16 SEER and One 5 Ton/16 SEER and the total costs installed come in at $20K, including 10 years Parts and Labor Warranty. The 2 furnace units are in the attic and the compressors are in the backyard. They will be using a crane in front of our home to lift out the compressors out of the backyard.

If you have the stamina and tools go for it. Take some time to think of the risks too.

Some work will always be beyond me. HVAC replacement is one of those tasks. We had two complete systems replaced for about $14K maybe 5 years ago. That included 2 linesets and a very difficult install.

Cutting down trees and chopping firewood is also something to avoid. In my first job I remember a boss telling me all the details of his neighbor who had a chainsaw kick back and hit him in the face.

If you have the stamina and tools go for it. Take some time to think of the risks too.

Some work will always be beyond me. HVAC replacement is one of those tasks. We had two complete systems replaced for about $14K maybe 5 years ago. That included 2 linesets and a very difficult install.

Cutting down trees and chopping firewood is also something to avoid. In my first job I remember a boss telling me all the details of his neighbor who had a chainsaw kick back and hit him in the face.
30,000 people a year die just driving cars, too. A prudent person would hire a professional driver.

............ For the condenser & evaporator hookup and charging I hired a pro to come out and braze the lines, install the TXV and charge with 410a. This was $650. .......
How did you find the guy to do this part?

My 26 year old Trane 3 1/2 ton heat pump had a compressor lock up last month. I had one guy out to diagnose the problem and he offered to put in it and a new air handler inside for $5300--in cash. Another HVAC gave a bid of $7200. The one that installed the unit gave me options of $8900 to $12K-depending on the replacement efficiency.

A small HVAC guy charged $4,100 to put in a new unit, and he redid all the sheet metal cold air return and going to the ducts. Took 2 days to do the job.

Anyone looking to do their own HVAC work should consider either a mini-split system with charged lines or a Mr. Cool heat pump unit. Unless replacing another like unit, getting electrics to the new unit can be another substantial cost--if you're unable to do electrical work.

My mother had her central AC replaced a couple of months ago. My brother knew a guy who did this work as a side job, and charged a very low rate.

I don't know the capacity of the AC, but judging from the size of my mom's house, it might be a 3-ton unit. She said it cost her $4K.

I had no idea how much an AC replacement should cost, but reading this thread convinces me that my mom got a good deal.

...........I had no idea how much an AC replacement should cost, but reading this thread convinces me that my mom got a good deal.
Comparing what the equipment costs via online sellers like Alpine to the total quoted costs makes one realize that contractors are making a killing on the labor.

We recently replaced our two 2008 Goodman units with 16 seer Carriers. I believe the HVAC contractor who installed the Goodman units 12 years ago must have been a real jackleg because we had problems yearly with them. Very likely the problem was the installation, not the machinery, because the problems presented from the first year onward, and other service providers badmouthed the install job (though not sure what to believe from some of these subsequent service providers when I later read their online reviews).

Good thing you did the install yourself. I did week's worth of research this time around, got multiple quotes, read hundreds of online reviews, and watched way too many YouTube videos of news stories across the country about HVAC "professionals" scamming customers. I came away from the research horrified at the apparent lack of professionalism in the industry.

I did find a guy with an excellent reputation locally, and so far so good. House is staying cool. Knock on wood.

........ I came away from the research horrified at the apparent lack of professionalism in the industry. ........
About every interface I've had with the industry reinforces this idea. The technicians seem to be convinced they are geniuses that are doing customers a favor and that the customers are basically marks to be fleeced. A short time spent on the HeVac forums gleaning some information solidified this opinion.

Those are some high quotes, had a package unit (AC and propane furnace) installed last year for $8800.
The quotes were high as it was during a heat wave. For the $10k quote I'd have to wait until late Oct. Package units are a little less. I have a rental with a 40 year old roof unit that still works and have been quoted $6,500 for when the time comes. Being on the roof, 100mi away and being a tax deduction I won't be doing it myself.:)

Sounds very grueling, especially here in New Orleans where attics get so hot
My unit is in the garage, just a 24" lift up with my son's help, about the same effort as moving our washing machine. The condenser is in the backyard on a slab.

As Dirty Harry once said "a man's got to know his limitations".

How did you find the guy to do this part?
Most won't do it of course even though the rate is well over $100/hr. I got one quote for $1200. CL is a source for contractors looking for side jobs but hit/miss for quality and I generally don't like to pay people under the table. I found my guy on Yelp. Only five reviews but all 5* and read as legit. He took the time to explain what he was doing. All his equipment wifi'd into an iPad and he dialed in the exact amount of 410a needed. He sent his guys on to their next job and spent 20 min checking temps at all the registers. I will add that I could attempt this work myself. I'd done it on my cars before and it's not that hard. But it's also where DIYr's get into trouble. Oh, and the guy I hired quoted me based on pics I texted of the site and my install and he stuck to his quote. I told him that in this day and age why does he need to drive across town and back wasting an hour.

Goodman gets a bad rap because the cater to the DIYer, and usually the DIYer is not as adept in properly installing, brazing, evacuating and recfilling units.
That's what I hear too. I would have attempted to braze and charge my unit if I had to, as a last resort, but I could get it done. The condenser is pre-charged and you only add 410a for the line over 20ft. Goodman/Amana was acquired by a Japanese company a few years ago but they kept and greatly expanded their mfg in Texas. Their warranty is better than most too. Goodman was not the cheapest, btw, AirQuest (by Carrier) was 20% less but didn't seem to spec out as good.

About every interface I've had with the industry reinforces this idea. The technicians seem to be convinced they are geniuses that are doing customers a favor and that the customers are basically marks to be fleeced. A short time spent on the HeVac forums gleaning some information solidified this opinion.
Totally agree. I could go on and on but a big scam is the r22 scare. The trade is charging $125# for it yet I can buy it on ebay for $35 but of course the installer can only use their own supply. A bigger scam is the annual service contract for several hundred. Keep your components clean and change the filter 2x a year is all that is needed. Those contracts are basically paying to have a thief come into your house to rob you. "$70 for a capacitor", "$90 for a recharge" or "circuit board about to go bad, $300". Yup, I can go on and on:LOL:.

Lastly, consistent with FIRE and LBYM, note that a $1 saved is tax advantaged. If you had to go out and earn that $1, it would take $1.50 in wages or investment earnings to get the same return. Well worth the effort, for me anyway.:dance:

One of my HVAC units is in the attic. I have wondered to myself how someone would remove the old and Install new. Access if not large enough.

30,000 people a year die just driving cars, too. A prudent person would hire a professional driver.

Comparison? Driving a car is a necessity for many people, it gets them to work and so on. Hiring a driver for daily work commute would be excessive for most, I am guessing, so the comment makes not enough sense to me.

Spending a few thousand on HVAC contractor every 10-20 years is fine for some, not for others. I kinda mentioned that in the post.

So, for ~$4k all in and approx 30 hours of my time, I'm very happy with my new HVAC and saved at least $6k for other things.

I agree with others who've said that HVAC installation/replacement is not something I would want to DIY. Installing a new faucet or toilet? Sure... easy enough to learn by watching a few YouTube videos, and the required tools and parts are cheap. An entire HVAC system, part of which resides in a cramped, hot attic? Not so much. Paying to have someone with extensive skills and the physical wherewithal to get those big, heavy, bulky units up and into the attic, without damaging anything (myself or the HVAC!), and then making sure everything is properly connected, up to code, and running smoothly seems like a good way to spend money.

As a point of reference, I recently got a quote from a licensed HVAC contractor to install a new Amana system for my house here in metro Atlanta for $4,200.

Back
Top Bottom