HVAC Upgrade- Heat Pump?

Thanks for all the input! Didn't realize that heat pumps were considered 'low budget'. Based on the quotes I received the heat pump system was on the high side.
"Low budget" for a developer. If gas was available nearby, not using gas saves them the $$$ of the design and construction of the natural gas distribution system in their development, including any additional cost to extend a main TO their development's boundary. And saves them all the service drops to houses, the meters, and gas piping inside houses, and gas flues. It's cheaper in the construction of a house itself to be all-electric. In most parts of the country, electrical distribution inside a house is pretty much just boring holes in the center of studs/joists (hopefully!) and stringing NM ("Romex") through the holes to boxes. It goes quick.

But the buyer has to live with the heat pump, and all the limitations and higher operating cost like others and myself have mentioned. To some (most?), they liked the house/neighborhood etc. and realized the limitations later. Did the developer/builder reduce the effective house sales price to the consumer by skipping using gas if available? Don't think so. But as years went by, I think many consumers got wise, and decided that a developer scrimping to further boost their profits at the expense of the home buyer did not sit well. I don't think I could find a development built around here for years that uses heat pumps. And certainly no one is building two story big sq. footage houses that start at $500k and quickly climb around here, with heat pumps! They would be shooting themselves in the proverbial foot!

As an aside... some of the houses have gotten so large, that they send gas into the house at much greater pressure than the few inches of water column used by most. The big houses with 3 or more furnaces plus multiple ovens, cooktops, multiple water heaters, dryer, etc. need a lot more gas volume. Typical for these is now a gas manifold and regulator in the attic, which drops the pressure down to normal, with flexible stainless steel lines routed from the manifold to each gas appliance. Think of a house built with PEX for water, coming from a central manifold.

Our present house has the usual gas regulator outside, which drops the ~70 PSI main pressure down to inches of water column ("WC) before routing a pipe into the house. This house is all black iron pipe for gas, as was the house we built ourselves long ago and far away. I designed that one with all the plumbing, ductwork and electrical in mind. More typical construction is architect draws up pretty plans, or pre-made plans are bought from a service, then carpenters somewhat use the plans to do rough framing, then the other trades like plumbers, electricians, HVAC go into the shell and cut and bore and hack away to what is the quickest or whatever they feel like doing! Don't worry, most of it will be covered up with drywall :LOL:

I live in a fairly mild climate (SE Arizona) and although it does get cool (typically upper 30's) at night during the winter the temp rarely drops below freezing. Seems like a heat pump would work well here from what I've read. The tech who quoted me the heat pump system has one in his house and really likes it. Anyone use a heat pump system? Would appreciate any comments and any positive/negative experiences.

I live in the suburb of Phoenix for more than 40 years, and have had only a heat pump in my homes. No gas at both homes. The heat pumps work well, and do not need the resistance heat booster because it is never that cold in the winter. My highest winter bill was less than 1/3 of the highest summer bill. That shows heating is not a problem.

At my 2nd home in the high-country boondocks at 7,000-ft elevation, I also have a heat pump. The record low is -25F, although a low of 0 to 10F is more common. The heat pump has a 2-stage resistance heater. The thermostat controls that, and kicks in the heater stages as needed. Ka ching!

The only way to have gas up in the high-country home is to have propane delivered regularly by truck to a large outdoor tank. As we do not live there full-time in the winter, I did not have that installed.

Last edited:
The heat pump system I received a quote on was a Daiken unit, it comes with a 12 year parts warranty, sounds like that's about how long they last.
Maybe this is common knowledge...but in the nine years that my first heat pump system lasted (a Rheem unit in condo in NC), I had two parts fail while still under warranty, the inside coil and the outside reversing valve. Unlike when a part on your car fails under warranty, labor charges are not generally covered, or at least they were not for me. Getting these two parts replaced by the original installer cost me more than $1,000 out of pocket. This for a system that I paid $5,500 for in 2011. Needless to say, when the valve failed a second time (while STILL under "warranty"), I opted for a new system with a different installer from a different manufacturer.

Not saying you couldn't have the same sort of issues with a gas HVAC system, but that has not been my experience with our home in the north.

Last edited:
Getting these two parts replaced by the original installer cost me more than $1,000 out of pocket. This for a system that I paid $5,500 for in 2011.

Good point. The company that quoted me the heat pump system offers a 20 year labor/parts warranty as long as you purchase one of their service plans from the start and renew every year. The lowest cost service plan is $220/yr and covers two services each year.

One other problem I'm trying to resolve besides heating/cooling is a reduction in the noise my current gas furnace makes. When the house was built they placed the gas furnace in a closet in the hallway next to the master bedroom, the noise can be very disturbing at night when sleeping, not a big issue during waking hours but you know it's on. The plan is to put the new air handler in the same closet, moving it to another location would add quite a bit to the cost. Still worried about the noise with this setup although they insist it will be less.

Another company came out today and to resolve the noise issue suggested a package system where the gas heater, AC, and air handler are in the same enclosure that sits outside. This would reduce the noise to almost zero which is a big plus. Should get the quote in a couple days, will give me some time to look into it further.

Last edited:
Have been looking at mini split, just heard about variable speed hvac. For me that may work
I wouldn't consider heat pump for home. I do have one for pool.

Back
Top Bottom