I hate car dealerships

I haven't been to a car dealership in 40 years. The last time I went was with my parents who had to play that dealership game, make an offer, go check with the supervisor, back and forth, took forever.

I also don't like used car lots, too much pressure. I go in looking for a specific car (such as a 1999-2004 VW Jetta) and they're trying to sell me a Toyota or Chevy they have on the lot. Is that what I asked for?

I have no intention of ever buying a brand new car. They cost too much and lose value too quickly. New cars today cost more than we paid for our first house. Sheesh.

Every car we have purchased in the last 35+ years has been from a private seller. Sure a used car is going to have imperfections, but most items are easily fixed and the total cost is going to be a lot less than a dealer or used car lot.

I'm really not a fan of most of the new computers on wheels these days. They just look weird, like some kind of funky space ship. I don't want blinky lights or navigation systems, I just want to drive a car. I'm perfectly capable of reading a map. :) I also don't like the trend of the big tablet screens sticking up above the middle of the dash. Every time I see those I think those are going to get bumped and broken. Not to mention having to clean around them. What's wrong with having the screen "IN" the dash?

I honestly feel bad that this thread has been so thoroughly hijacked, but I'll just add one more detail. I enjoy driving and do long road trips, averaging over 20K miles a year. The thing that stands out the most for me about Volvo is the incredibly comfortable seats. I can drive all day long in perfect comfort (no squirming in the seat) and get out of it without the slightest trace of stiffness. No other car I've ever driven can match that.
Sorry I contributed to the hijack...I know better. :blush:

My understanding, Volvo is now owned by China Company. No longer the quality mfg. it once was, many, many, years ago.

DW and I are on our 3rd XC90 and a new XC60 and are VERY happy with the new Volvo design and function. However, if you can wait until the 2021 models come out next year, the computer and entertainment system will be changed to Google's system (currently, it's developed by Microsoft) with much higher responsiveness and stability. This is a HUGE plus as the current one is buggy. Waiting will also bring a better deal on the current Volvo line which will have the older entertainment system but pricing that makes the car much more appealing. At least you'll have some choice to compare if the deals are worth it.

Personally, the cost of repairing the electronics on any new car is astronomical ($13k on the low end), and I don't think I would ever buy a car of Volvo caliber without an extended warranty.

My understanding, Volvo is now owned by China Company. No longer the quality mfg. it once was, many, many, years ago.

A common misunderstanding. Yes, it's owned by Geely, a large Chinese car company, but it's still a Swedish company and from all the reports I've seen the quality has not suffered.

I do not hate car dealerships. I in fact enjoy "Some" of the theatrics.

"Why do you have to ask your Manager, don't you have the authority to make a deal?" Used when I get fed up of the back and forth. But happens very rarely as I have been successful in dealing directly with the sales manager for the final sale.

I have NEVER purchased a car from the dealership that I have evaluated an learnt about a car.

Once I have figured it all out, I shop by phone and internet. Asking for the sales manager and telling him I do not want to deal with a floor sales person.

Works every time.

I haven't been to a car dealership in 40 years. The last time I went was with my parents who had to play that dealership game, make an offer, go check with the supervisor, back and forth, took forever.

I also don't like used car lots, too much pressure. I go in looking for a specific car (such as a 1999-2004 VW Jetta) and they're trying to sell me a Toyota or Chevy they have on the lot. Is that what I asked for?

I have no intention of ever buying a brand new car. They cost too much and lose value too quickly. New cars today cost more than we paid for our first house. Sheesh.

Every car we have purchased in the last 35+ years has been from a private seller. Sure a used car is going to have imperfections, but most items are easily fixed and the total cost is going to be a lot less than a dealer or used car lot.

I'm really not a fan of most of the new computers on wheels these days. They just look weird, like some kind of funky space ship. I don't want blinky lights or navigation systems, I just want to drive a car. I'm perfectly capable of reading a map. :) I also don't like the trend of the big tablet screens sticking up above the middle of the dash. Every time I see those I think those are going to get bumped and broken. Not to mention having to clean around them. What's wrong with having the screen "IN" the dash?

I'm with you, mountainsoft. If you're gonna buy a used car, who needs a middleman?

My DW's 2007 Prius did come from a Lexus dealer. The price was right, but after several hours of torture wading through paperwork, DW was ready to take whatever they offered on the trade just to get out of there. We might have picked up another grand shopping it around.

As for screens, they're just a distraction for me. I'd rather have buttons on the wheel. The driver needs no infotainment.

A common misunderstanding. Yes, it's owned by Geely, a large Chinese car company, but it's still a Swedish company and from all the reports I've seen the quality has not suffered.

Frankly Geely saved Volvo. Ford bailed on Volvo after not updating the line up for years. The XC90 went from 2004 to 2016 with only slight changes. It took Geely a few years to go through each of the models and update. I believe they are through all of them now & are adding new models (XC40)

There are some Volvos manufactured in China. None for the US market though. For a short time the XC60 came to the US from China. Tarrifs put an end to that. I think the plan now is to build the XC60 in South Carolina plant along with one of the sedans

I welcome our [-]Chinese[/-] Geely overlords

There are some exceptions to the rule (Loaded Cars on the Lot). We recently purchased a new 2020 VW Tiguan, it had all the toys (with 2 exceptions, see later). We also reviewed the Audi Q3 and BMW X3 4 bangers. Not only did the VW blow spots off the competition, it was almost half the price. I would hardly classify the VW Tiguan SEL AWD as a run of the mill vehicle in comparison to BMW or Audi. We think it is very well made, and very comfortable and roomy.

It came with all the items that the other 2 did, including XM, Pano Roof, tinted glass, Parking Assist (Not the auto parking type), Full 180 degree camera, Front and real Object avoidance, 3 years free maintenance, Free Roadside assistance with no need for AAA, free car washes as purchasing dealer, Nav. Etc., Etc., Etc.. OK you do not get Breakfast, Lunch and Ice Cream at the dealership, but you do get coffee and a comfy place to sit if waiting.

The ONLY 2 options it did not have, one of which we wanted; HomeLink Garage Door Opener in Mirror and touchless hatch opening. The former was easily fixed by purchasing and installing a VW Homelink Mirror ($125). The latter was not important as the hatch is electric and can be opened with the key fob or by pressing a button on the hatch.

So we obviously went for the VW. If VW had a luxury brand like Honda, Toyota and Hyundai have, it would be in the lineup.

Volkswagen does have a luxury brand--Audi

They're beautiful cars too--and all AWD. But they're a little pricey for my pocketbook.

I got one for you. About 2 months ago, my son bought a used truck from a major dealership in NJ, we are not from NJ. Expetecd the plates for our state over night, did not come or title. After a month I told him something is not right. Turns out they sold a truck with a lien on it, how is that possible. He finally got the plate for our state, and clear title shoud be here soon, I hope. This should not be possible, yet it happened. Don't know who is paying off the lien. If he does not get clear title, then I told him, that to contact either the state, or Chrysler to have the dealership licensce revoked. I assume that will get some action.
Oldmike

Last edited:
Good Volvo dealer

Check with the Volvo dealer in Macon, GA. They were excellent to work with and very cooperative. I ended up not getting the V-60XC because of a trailer hitch issue with the vehicle design and not the dealership.

Fighting Chance.com

I am not affiliated but a happy user Have the same feelings about dealers Decided against another BMW and tried a bunch of SUV’s Pocked a high end Mazda CX-5 fully loaded and then used Fighting Chance System takes work but had dealers coming to me with no BS Then researched dealers decided who I would buy from and sealed the deal Good luck

Volkswagen does have a luxury brand--Audi

They're beautiful cars too--and all AWD. But they're a little pricey for my pocketbook.
There are Audi A3 and A4 that are front wheel drive. It is more practical in hot climate states.

I am looking really hard at ordering Land Rover’s new Defender. I know, I know, their reliability is terrible. But the heart wants what the heart wants.

Communicating with two dealers, and neither one is coming off the MSRP unless there is a factory rebate at the time the car arrives. Strange, I’ve always haggled for a lower price or let multiple dealers compete against each other on price.

I’ve joined with a FB group discussing the new Defender and the consensus is pretty much you pay MSRP.

The Volvo overseas purchase sounds great. Maybe I can get my wife to consider it for her next purchase. [emoji2]

We have ordered three vehicles in the last 12 years:

2008 VW: Came with “almost” everything we wanted, but took four months from order to delivery.

2010 Volvo pre-China acquisition (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geely): Due to order screw up we ended up with someone else’s Volvo that had backed out at the last minute. We still have, “The Other Guy’s” Volvo to this day and have never regretted it. Truly one of the best vehicles we have ever owned!

2017 BMW (motorcycle): Process was flawless and we got exactly what we wanted, when we wanted it.

So hopefully this helps you, OP, with your original question :)

Last edited:
I've been looking for a used 4x4 suv to use in the summers in Colorado so I've been to a few used car dealerships. One place was outstanding but not in a good way. One car looked like they just sprayed armorall slick-em on all the filthy dirty leather seats. It also had a busted muffler and check engine lights. So we drove another one. On this one the power seats didn't work. The salesman said "that's an easy fix". Ok, then why have it on your lot for sale without fixing it?
We did find a Lexus GX470 from an individual we're picking up today.

Many new Volvo's have only average reliability ratings. If you want something "nicer" get an Acura or a Lexus.

As to additional features you don't want, that's a issue with most manufacturers these days. For example, I hate the auto shut-off feature on my car but you can't buy the car without it. I also don't like being forced to by a certain trim level to get one or two features.

Auto shut-off? I presume a Subaru. FYI, the factory just issued a software update for the head unit. They have it now, but owners probably won't get the notice until mid-January. Among other things, it will put an icon on the Home Screen that is an on/off switch for that feature. I don't care for it either.

OP, feel your pain... my 2021 Outback Touring XLT came with the useless nav system and the sunroof we will never use. We just bit the bullet, bought and are very happy with the Subi.

Auto shut-off? I presume a Subaru. FYI, the factory just issued a software update for the head unit. They have it now, but owners probably won't get the notice until mid-January. Among other things, it will put an icon on the Home Screen that is an on/off switch for that feature. I don't care for it either.
But I think you have to enable (disable?) it each time you start? Oh well. I've only been a passenger in those cars. Not a fan.

BTW, I like Tailgate's avatar. Keep on Truckin'

OP, feel your pain... my 2021 Outback Touring XLT came with the useless nav system and the sunroof we will never use. We just bit the bullet, bought and are very happy with the Subi.

I was referring to engine auto shut-off that turns the engine off when stopped to help increase fuel economy ratings. I have an Acura with auto shut-off, my GF's daughter has basic entry level Ford Escape that also has it. I disable it every time I get in the car.

I like navigation even though I rarely "need" it. I also like sunroofs :LOL:

I was referring to engine auto shut-off that turns the engine off when stopped to help increase fuel economy ratings. I have an Acura with auto shut-off, my GF's daughter has basic entry level Ford Escape that also has it. I disable it every time I get in the car.

I like navigation even though I rarely "need" it. I also like sunroofs :LOL:
Pretty sure Tailgate was referring to that. If not, ignore my reply above.

I like navigation even though I rarely "need" it. I also like sunroofs [emoji23]
I think most newer ICE vehicles have this annoying problem/feature. I absolutely hate it, safety hazard when you need to pull put an accelerate but your vehicle needs to start first. DW'S Wrangler has it, if you have your foot loosely on the brake you can fool it.

Back
Top Bottom