I hate car dealerships

DW and I are in the market for a new Volvo SUV to replace her 11 year old Honda. At this point in our lives, we would like a nicer car than a Honda. BUT, that doesn't mean we like being forced to buy features we don't want (nav system, panoramic roof, etc...). The response we've received from dealers is that those features are installed because they're what customers want. This seems like a load of BS to me, since several have offered to discount heavily those same features to try and make a sale (hence, I assume they're major money-makers for dealers). So, the alternative is ordering the car from the factory without the unwanted features. In response, dealers have told us that they can't guaranty the various Volvo incentives will be around in 8-10 weeks when the car is delivered - even if I already put down a deposit to lock in the price (apparently I can only lock in the dealer's price).

If there is a model that would suit you, look into custom ordering a BMW. I have leased at least 10 custom ordered BMW's. I love being able to get every option I want and not having to pay for any option I don't want. BMW has always locked in the incentives available, and the lease terms (interest rate, residual value) at the time of order. If better terms are available at the time of delivery, I have been given those. Last one I ordered took about 10 weeks for manufacture and delivery. One can monitor the progress of the vehicle through manufacture and transatlantic shipping, it's kind of fun ::cool:

Early retirement would be the perfect time in life to do this. No need to rush the delivery. I'd have to warm up to Volvos before biting, though. I'll still consider it.

I also noticed you can drop off and don't have to return to Sweden. About €500 to drop off in Munich. Not bad if you want to wander without going through the return.

One of the best trips ever. We flew into Copenhagen for a few days because DW had never been there. Then flew up to Gothenburg (all at Volvo's expense) where we were met at the airport and taken to the best hotel in town. Next morning they drove us to the factory where we got the factory tour (not to be missed!) and they spent an hour with me just going over all the bells and whistles on the car until I felt comfortable with it. Swedish temporary plates and two weeks of European insurance. We elected to turn it back in at the factory, where it was shipped to our local dealer. Then took the high speed train to Stockholm for a week before flying home (still at Volvo's expense). No other manufacturer has an overseas delivery program that can remotely compare with Volvo's. I will do it again if possible on my next car.

One of the best trips ever. We flew into Copenhagen for a few days because DW had never been there. Then flew up to Gothenburg (all at Volvo's expense) where we were met at the airport and taken to the best hotel in town. Next morning they drove us to the factory where we got the factory tour (not to be missed!) and they spent an hour with me just going over all the bells and whistles on the car until I felt comfortable with it. Swedish temporary plates and two weeks of European insurance. We elected to turn it back in at the factory, where it was shipped to our local dealer. Then took the high speed train to Stockholm for a week before flying home (still at Volvo's expense). No other manufacturer has an overseas delivery program that can remotely compare with Volvo's. I will do it again if possible on my next car.

Was the train and week in Stockholm covered by them too? Or just the trip home?

They covered all the airfares and the first hotel night, along with the insurance. Gave us a big discount on the rest of the hotel nights. Also some small gifts on arrival, along with a couple of meals there in Gothenburg.

They covered all the airfares and the first hotel night, along with the insurance. Gave us a big discount on the rest of the hotel nights. Also some small gifts on arrival, along with a couple of meals there in Gothenburg.
Nice. The info says they help you plan any trip, too.

Yes, it's all arranged through their contract travel agency and it was a very pleasant experience all around.

I know several people who decided exactly what they wanted. No trade in.

They sent requests to three or four Infiniti and Honda dealerships. One, quite far away where one of their mothers lived. Request was for a bottom line price, out the door. At least one provided two color choices.

The result? $3K lower ( for at least 2 of the buys) than the best price they had been offered by any local dealers. One friend took a short flight to see his mother and picked up the Infiniti. The other took a 2 hour bus ride to a smaller town. Dealer picked him up with a coffee in hand. An hour later he was driving home.

So much easier than haggling at the store-with the salesperson, the sales manager, and the so called business manager whose job it seems is to upsell on mtce and cosmetic add ons. All said that this was an value added addition to the buying process for them.

I've had over 100 new cars. Many of which were luxury vehicles and company cars.

Now that I've retired and have to pay for my cars fully, I am now choosing models that are #1 very reliable and trouble free and #2 lower depreciating cars.

We've fed from opposite ends of the food chain. In the last 20-some years every car I've owned has been at least 10 years old. I commuted 25K miles a year and got tired of buying late-model vehicles and using them up in five years.

So I started buying depreciated Euro sedans, particularly Mercedes and BMW. (Don't laugh!) I did most maintenance and repairs myself. I always had a backup vehicle and learned a lot about how cars work.

My favorite commuting experience was the W123 (1977-1985) Mercedes chassis with the 5-cylinder turbo diesel. They were built like a bank vault, and the seats were sublime. They weren't performance cars by any means but were very nice drivers on the superslab. Believe it or not, those old diesels had 100% mechanical engine management. No electronics at all. The central door locks were vacuum activated. I'd drive one today if I could find one in decent shape that doesn't command a fortune. They were dirt cheap when I was driving them.

I know several people who decided exactly what they wanted. No trade in.

They sent requests to three or four Infiniti and Honda dealerships. One, quite far away where one of their mothers lived. Request was for a bottom line price, out the door. At least one provided two color choices.

The result? $3K lower ( for at least 2 of the buys) than the best price they had been offered by any local dealers. One friend took a short flight to see his mother and picked up the Infiniti. The other took a 2 hour bus ride to a smaller town. Dealer picked him up with a coffee in hand. An hour later he was driving home.

So much easier than haggling at the store-with the salesperson, the sales manager, and the so called business manager whose job it seems is to upsell on mtce and cosmetic add ons. All said that this was an value added addition to the buying process for them.

Last new vehicle for me was a lease...sent the completed paperwork to the dealer then put my youngest kid on a cheap flight to pick it up & drive it home.

And I would not buy any new vehicle with a pano roof...lots of OEMs are having trouble with them.

One thing about Volvos of the future is that they're quickly leaving fossil fuel only powered automobiles and SUV's.

Volvos are quickly going to hybrids and electric vehicles--some of which are rockets. I don't know if gas Volvos are available any longer.

One thing about Volvos of the future is that they're quickly leaving fossil fuel only powered automobiles and SUV's.

Volvos are quickly going to hybrids and electric vehicles--some of which are rockets. I don't know if gas Volvos are available any longer.

I wonder how "quickly" that will be.

As I recall, at the time of the announcement (~ 2 years ago?), they stated that all new models will be "electrified" (any form of hybrid, even very 'mild' hybrid could count).

So what's a "new model"? Ford still makes Mustangs and F-series pickups, Chevy has made a "suburban" continuously since 1934(!), and has made the 'Vette since 1953, etc - these are over 50 years old!

Not sure if Volvo has updated their original release.

-ERD50

I've had good luck with my recent purchase which had to be ordered from the factory. Didn't get much of a discount ($1000), but everything went smooth. Shut down the "finance" guy who was overselling their "extra care and warranty" plans, but other than that, smooth. Got a free loaner when the passenger air bag sensor needed to be replaced and took 4 days.

As I recall, at the time of the announcement (~ 2 years ago?), they stated that all new models will be "electrified" (any form of hybrid, even very 'mild' hybrid could count).

So what's a "new model"? Ford still makes Mustangs and F-series pickups, Chevy has made a "suburban" continuously since 1934(!), and has made the 'Vette since 1953, etc - these are over 50 years old!

Here's what they say now:
By 2025, around 50% of all the cars they sell should be pure electric, the other 50% hybrids.

A lot of people misinterpreted the Volvo electrification statement, it was largely a PR stunt, though they’d like consumers to convert rapidly. All they really said was they wouldn’t develop new ICE models and there would be a hybrid or EV version of every model they sell. That doesn’t mean they won’t continue to produce and sell ICE models - for a LONG time. Volvo will sell what consumers will buy, or they’ll go bankrupt. They have some plug in hybrids now, but they just introduced their first full EV October 2020, not sure they’re available yet (US at least). They’ll have to come up with one heck of a great EV or partially electric model to achieve their stated goal for 2025. I’d bet they’ll be selling lots of ICE vehicles for many years.
Volvo said:
Our ambition is that around 50% of the cars we sell should be pure electric by 2025, the other 50% to be hybrids.
(Volvo CEO) Samuelsson acknowledged to us that Volvo doesn’t know how quickly the world’s upmarket car buyers will switch to full electrification, and admitted this is likely to take place at different speeds in different territories – with much of the U.S. likely to be among the slower adopters.

There’s an element of risk in any gamble, and Volvo could be critically exposed if the world doesn’t move towards EVs at the speed Samuelsson thinks it will. But the potential rewards are huge, too.

Last edited:

That sounds pretty spectacular. I assume there is minimum purchase price for this benefit?

That sounds pretty spectacular. I assume there is minimum purchase price for this benefit?

It was spectacular. Any Volvo ordered this way (OSD, or Overseas Delivery) gets this treatment. I don't know if it still applies, but I also got $3K taken off the MSRP so it was a very good deal IMHO.

One of my junior officers did the Volvo thing while we were stationed in Germany. They flew him and his wife up to Sweden, gave them the tour and everything, and sent them on their way. That was in 2016, and they drove back to Germany from Sweden, and enjoyed having the new car to drive around Europe. Then in 2018, he got orders to Norfolk, and Volvo paid to ship the car back to the US. They highly recommended the whole deal.

I honestly feel bad that this thread has been so thoroughly hijacked, but I'll just add one more detail. I enjoy driving and do long road trips, averaging over 20K miles a year. The thing that stands out the most for me about Volvo is the incredibly comfortable seats. I can drive all day long in perfect comfort (no squirming in the seat) and get out of it without the slightest trace of stiffness. No other car I've ever driven can match that.

I honestly feel bad that this thread has been so thoroughly hijacked, but I'll just add one more detail. I enjoy driving and do long road trips, averaging over 20K miles a year. The thing that stands out the most for me about Volvo is the incredibly comfortable seats. I can drive all day long in perfect comfort (no squirming in the seat) and get out of it without the slightest trace of stiffness. No other car I've ever driven can match that.

You should feel bad...especially since there are NO OTHER THREADS on how bad car dealerships suck. :D

I wonder if I could pull some strings and buy one but drive it to Ramstein AB to be brought back via the good 'ole USAF? Because, you know...old retired military sweaties have that kind of pull. ;)

I thought SAAB also had that reputation...maybe mentioned in a James Bond novel?

A lot of people misinterpreted the Volvo electrification statement, it was largely a PR stunt, though they’d like consumers to convert rapidly. All they really said was they wouldn’t develop new ICE models and there would be a hybrid or EV version of every model they sell. That doesn’t mean they won’t continue to produce and sell ICE models - for a LONG time.

Whew! I might get that trip to Sweden after all! :)

Seriously, the last thing I want to do in Europe is look for charging stations, if we go fairly soon. You know, language barrier, unfamiliar places, etc.

It is all there on their web site. The price is the price. It is discounted from MSRP.

When you talk to people here or elsewhere (or even the magazine people), they agree it is pretty spectacular.

The downsides are mostly patience and planning, both rare in our society today.

One of my junior officers did the Volvo thing while we were stationed in Germany. They flew him and his wife up to Sweden, gave them the tour and everything, and sent them on their way. That was in 2016, and they drove back to Germany from Sweden, and enjoyed having the new car to drive around Europe. Then in 2018, he got orders to Norfolk, and Volvo paid to ship the car back to the US. They highly recommended the whole deal.

I did that way back in 1986 when I was stationed in England. We took the overnight ferry over to pick up the car. It was in August, so the factory was closed and we couldn’t get the tour. But it was a very nice trip. When we came back to the states they shipped the car to California for us.
The problem was the car was constantly having problems. I was happy to let my wife have it in the divorce.

-ERD50
Volvo does make an electric version of its XC40 model, but it's $54k, roughly $12-$15k more than the gasoline version. That's assuming you can get one with a 6+ month wait. Plus, no one knows their reliability record yet (unlike Tesla and the Nissan Leaf).

I agree that gas versions of cars will be around a long time. If you drive cars into the ground like we do (10+ years), then the future growth of electric vehicle manufacturing doesn't really matter.

There are some exceptions to the rule (Loaded Cars on the Lot). We recently purchased a new 2020 VW Tiguan, it had all the toys (with 2 exceptions, see later). We also reviewed the Audi Q3 and BMW X3 4 bangers. Not only did the VW blow spots off the competition, it was almost half the price. I would hardly classify the VW Tiguan SEL AWD as a run of the mill vehicle in comparison to BMW or Audi. We think it is very well made, and very comfortable and roomy.

It came with all the items that the other 2 did, including XM, Pano Roof, tinted glass, Parking Assist (Not the auto parking type), Full 180 degree camera, Front and real Object avoidance, 3 years free maintenance, Free Roadside assistance with no need for AAA, free car washes as purchasing dealer, Nav. Etc., Etc., Etc.. OK you do not get Breakfast, Lunch and Ice Cream at the dealership, but you do get coffee and a comfy place to sit if waiting.

The ONLY 2 options it did not have, one of which we wanted; HomeLink Garage Door Opener in Mirror and touchless hatch opening. The former was easily fixed by purchasing and installing a VW Homelink Mirror ($125). The latter was not important as the hatch is electric and can be opened with the key fob or by pressing a button on the hatch.

So we obviously went for the VW. If VW had a luxury brand like Honda, Toyota and Hyundai have, it would be in the lineup.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom