Iced coffee

JP.mpls

Full time employment: Posting here.
I drink coffee every morning, and sometimes early afternoon too.

My friend was over, and asked for some of the remaining coffee, but she wanted it over ice.

I guess I'm very set in my ways (and out of touch). I never bothered trying coffee over ice. It is damn good, especially with a little cream. I've been missing out.

I now keep my leftover coffee in the fridge for an iced coffee when I'm in the mood.

I'm having a cold cup out on the patio right now.

JP

Good alternative when it's hot out IMO.

For me it's anathema, but DH really likes Cold Brew coffee. He bought his own brewer/flask thingy and remakes every couple of days.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder. Summer is finely getting started in my area. I am putting on a pot as soon as I hit the Post Quick Reply button, so it will be cool in time for my afternoon coffee.

In the morning I turn the pot off if i can remember.
Later I'll add some ice to a glass and pour an iced one. My father drank iced instant coffee, so that must be where I picked up the habit.

What will they think of next? ;)

I bought a cup once from a coffee shop when it was hot outside. I couldn't get it down. Maybe I need to try my own before giving up on it.

I worked as a specialty coffee buyer, taster and roaster for 28 years and wanted to share the one way of brewing iced coffee I most recommend. Not only it it easy but unlike cold brew or even espresso it captures all of the flavors and aromas of hot coffee. Easy too.

https://youtu.be/pPM8mcqHxes

His method is fancier than mine, but similar (I think) in concept. I simply make very strong coffee (either instant or brewed) and pour it onto ice in a Pyrex container (a glass or china cup would shatter). The ice cools and dilutes the coffee, and then I add milk.

Someone a few months ago mentioned Vietnamese coffee and I had never heard of it. I looked it up ordered a can, and it's pretty good. I have modified it with "normal" coffee if I don't have the time to brew a fresh cup. Just add 1-2 tablespoons of sweetened evaporated milk to a small amount of hot coffee to dissolve, then fill with more coffee and ice. Good refreshing pick me upper!

I brew some espresso, pour it on ice, and add milk. Delicious.

Someone a few months ago mentioned Vietnamese coffee and I had never heard of it. I looked it up ordered a can, and it's pretty good. I have modified it with "normal" coffee if I don't have the time to brew a fresh cup. Just add 1-2 tablespoons of sweetened evaporated milk to a small amount of hot coffee to dissolve, then fill with more coffee and ice. Good refreshing pick me upper!
Vietnamese coffee is good, though it would not make a steady diet for me. Too sweet. We drank it while traveling in Vietnam a couple of years ago and I occasionally order it in good VN restaurants here in the US.

If anyone is interested in this idea, I would not use a canned version as a standard of goodness. I suggest instead hitting a couple of good Vietnamese restaurants to sample a cup. Then duplicate and tune as you like at home.

Vietnamese coffee is good, though it would not make a steady diet for me. Too sweet. We drank it while traveling in Vietnam a couple of years ago and I occasionally order it in good VN restaurants here in the US.

If anyone is interested in this idea, I would not use a canned version as a standard of goodness. I suggest instead hitting a couple of good Vietnamese restaurants to sample a cup. Then duplicate and tune as you like at home.

You can control the sweetness by decreasing the sweetened condensed milk, or just add evaporated milk. I abhor sweetness myself anymore, but gave the recommended recipe above.

DW makes it the easy way, using Starbucks instant coffee. Recipe below:

I use a tube envelope of Starbucks Italian Dark Roast instant coffee with a spoon of sugar, then pour a little boiling water over the mix and stir till well dissolved. Completely fill the glass with ice, and fill with light cream. For me, nothing can replace the Starbucks instant coffee. It's sure not a low cal drink to have daily, but it's really a pick me up, and delicious.

This is my summer treat-tastes like coffee ice cream.

1 cup of coffee grounds into 1 quart canning jar, fill with filtered water. Shake and put in fridge for at least 24 hours. Strain through coffee filter in regular coffee maker or via stand alone filter. Pour additional water through the filter to make up for water trapped in grounds (final volume 1 quart).

This is my preferred ratio. 1/3 cup of coffee concentrate and 2/3 cups of whole milk. D

I usually make a new quart batch as soon as I have filtered the previous batch, that way there is no disruption in the supply off fresh cold brew. The cold brew lasts for week without developing any funk or off flavors.

We had it in Vietnam. Very rich and tasty. They brew it using robusta beans, which most Americans would find very strong and bitter. The sweetened condensed milk is necessary, or you probably couldn't drink it!

Rustic23,
I might have to combine your "add booze" idea with Aeride's father's idea of "keeping it with you in a flask".

I will be all set.

It sounds very good. I might enjoy that too much.

JP
Even better pour in one two ounces of Kahlua. Better still. Make your own Kahlua https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/kahlua-recipe/. I use Admiral Morgan Vanilla Rum. Some people use Vodka but Kahlua is made with rum.

Making you own is a great savings!

mmm...I'm gonna have to try what everyone else is having....

I've been consuming frozen coffee drinks for a long time. I throw some ice in the blender, add strong coffee, sweetener, a splash of chocolate syrup and milk. It's yummy. But what's even better is when I add a shot of Bailey's or JD. Sometimes I add two shots.....talk about frothy! :D

I worked as a specialty coffee buyer, taster and roaster for 28 years and wanted to share the one way of brewing iced coffee I most recommend. Not only it it easy but unlike cold brew or even espresso it captures all of the flavors and aromas of hot coffee. Easy too.

https://youtu.be/pPM8mcqHxes

Thanks for sharing that! I'll try it tomorrow when it's early enough to have a caffeine fix!

Love iced coffee when it’s hot outdoor. Very refreshing. This 3 day drive we swung by Starbucks drive through every day to get iced espresso plus splash of cream for the road. Cool off and stay awake!

Last edited:
I use Admiral Morgan Vanilla Rum. Some people use Vodka but Kahlua is made with rum.

Making you own is a great savings!

I will be darned! I never knew it was made with rum! All the home recipes I have seen call for vodka, because it is cheaper, I guess

I grew up out side of Boston. Ice coffee was a common summer time beverage. All we did was save and cool the morning coffee (after it probably "strengthened" by sitting on the stove), and pore over ice. A little sugar, a little milk/cream. Pretty simple.

When I moved to the Midwest in 1978, I realized, at least back then, Ice Coffee (we NEVER called it ICED coffee) was very regional. I had a buddy order it out here, he got a coffee cup, with ice, and hot coffee poured on top.

I haven't had it in years, I need to brew a strong pot tomorrow morning and save it for the afternoon.

Love iced coffee, and go out for it at least once a week. Cold brew is terrific as well with a really robust flavor. Iced Vietnamese coffee is also amazing. The flavor is so strong and pronounced it almost seems like a different beverage altogether.

I prefer mine with no sugar. Just a touch of milk to tone down the acidity.

Back
Top Bottom