Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I usually blend several kinds of tea, mostly from Ahmad Tea along with some Lipton. Ahmad has one of the best English Breakfast teas that is not bitter when iced. Their Ceylon is a bit heartier than Lipton black tea, and their English #1 is a lighter version (less Bergamot) than the typical Earl Grey tea.

I usually blend with 1/3 Lipton, 1/3 English #1, and 1/3 Ceylon/English Breakfast, depending on my mood. I allow the brewed tea to cool somewhat before refrigerating. I find pouring hot tea over ice to cool or drink immediately increases the chances of it being somewhat bitter and grassy.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW uses a Mr Coffee Ice Tea Maker. It makes a gallon, but start with full gallon and pour half into the ice tea maker, leave rest in the pitcher. Add 3-4 large black tea bags, let it brew and the brewed part mixes with the water in the pitcher. DW is quite picky and uses water from frig filter, or better yet from the refill bottles we fill at the water machine at grocery store. No sweetener, and no flavored teas, just straight tea. Put pitcher into frig after it cools to room temp to get cold.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I use the extra-large tea bags that are typically used at restaurants. They'll make one gallon of tea. I heat a pot of water to a boil, then add the hot water to the plastic pitcher and then the huge tea bag. Then I put in my seven whole-grain tablets of honest-to-God saccharin that I special order.

The water is boiled with a pot that will automatically shut itself off after reaching the boiling point.

I also add about one-third gallon of ice into the pitcher to cool down the whole thing immediately.

Whole procedure takes about 35 minutes to make a gallon, including the seeping time of 20 minutes.

I typically drink 4-5 gallons per week!
Skitso999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
DW uses a Mr Coffee Ice Tea Maker. It makes a gallon, but start with full gallon and pour half into the ice tea maker, leave rest in the pitcher. Add 3-4 large black tea bags, let it brew and the brewed part mixes with the water in the pitcher. DW is quite picky and uses water from frig filter, or better yet from the refill bottles we fill at the water machine at grocery store. No sweetener, and no flavored teas, just straight tea. Put pitcher into frig after it cools to room temp to get cold.
We use the same Tea Maker, but use only Red Rose teabags, which we have found to taste much fresher and better than many other brands, 5 or 6 per batch.
mcbraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:49 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I usually blend several kinds of tea, mostly from Ahmad Tea along with some Lipton. Ahmad has one of the best English Breakfast teas that is not bitter when iced. Their Ceylon is a bit heartier than Lipton black tea, and their English #1 is a lighter version (less Bergamot) than the typical Earl Grey tea.

I usually blend with 1/3 Lipton, 1/3 English #1, and 1/3 Ceylon/English Breakfast, depending on my mood. I allow the brewed tea to cool somewhat before refrigerating. I find pouring hot tea over ice to cool or drink immediately increases the chances of it being somewhat bitter and grassy.
Ahmad teas are wonderful! I love their English Breakfast. I also love Republic of Tea’s British Breakfast tea.
Mantras: Carpe diem & Gratitude
PointBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:48 PM   #46
gone traveling

Trader Joe's White Pomegranate for cold tea.
Jasmine Green Dragon Pearl loose leaf for hot tea.
JustVisitingThisPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello, may I take this opportunity to ask if anybody here has found a tea (for hot or cold) with a very strong scent of jasmine? I've tried 4 already and they are kind of faint, and one of them doesn't even have any smell at all! Will appreciate enormously any ideas. Thank you.
Rosedala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Y’all make your iced tea so WEAK!! I use double the amount of tea that most of you do, since it’s going over ice and gets diluted as you drink it. I also like to make it this strong because it takes up less room in the fridge that way. I make a quart at a time (extra-strength) and dilute it a bit as I go. Tea leaves make the best-tasting brew, but I use tea bags also for convenience. I love all types. Current favorites are Good Earth Sweet and Spicy and Tazo Zen green tea (with verbena, lemongrass, and spearmint). That’s the green tea you’ll get at Starbucks if you order their iced green tea. I also like mixing flavors. A bit of Constant Comment is terrific mixed with plain black tea. Earl Grey is fantastic iced as well (discovered that almost by accident). Mighty Leaf teas are amazing, especially the Organic Spring Jasmine green tea. Whole leaves in a nylon bag... lovely. And lastly, for those who like green tea, the Kirkland brand sold at Costco is produced in Japan and is very good!
I’m doing better than I deserve!
Miarocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Jasmine Green Tea
Old 07-30-2020, 10:13 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Jasmine Green Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosedala View Post
Hello, may I take this opportunity to ask if anybody here has found a tea (for hot or cold) with a very strong scent of jasmine? I've tried 4 already and they are kind of faint, and one of them doesn't even have any smell at all! Will appreciate enormously any ideas. Thank you.
Try the Organic Spring Jasmine tea from Mighty Leaf Tea. Available from Peet’s, Amazon, grocery stores, and you might find it at Walmart or Target.

Prímula makes a tea ball (fun!) that flowers as it brews. That one is also very good. Available on their website and sometimes sold on QVC. A clear teapot is a must for that one! Enjoy!
Old 07-30-2020, 10:16 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

A case for loose leaf tea for the ‘tea snobs’ among us:

https://teasparrow.com/blog/tea-bags-vs-loose-leaf/

It’s really not any harder... either use an infuser or strain it as you pour.
You really do get the best tasting tea that way.