illegal immigration - What should be done?.........

Maximillion said:
I live in Apple Country, without the Mexican and Jamaican Workers, who are brought in legally, the crop would rot.

Locals will not do the work.

Not for the same hourly wage anyway....

Hmmm - 1950's

We picked apples for a piece rate not hourly. Talking to the owners Son - Americans were not as good or reliable as Mexicans. A small but significant percentage of the Mexicans were teachers or students. $/Peso and college cost in 'the good old days' was different then.

heh heh heh heh heh - times change.

mickj said:
Not for the same hourly wage anyway....

Not for a wage that would make sense to grow apples for a living.

We've had three bad plum seasons in a row. Late rains and/or late cold weather. My one tree produced a couple of hundred pounds three years ago, hardly a thing in the last three. As a result, quite a few plum farms around here have turned into subdivisions and wood chips.

And thats WITH illegal immigrant laborers getting paid squat to pick them, and most of the crews building the subdivisions also illegal immigrant workers...

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Not for a wage that would make sense to grow apples for a living.

And thats WITH illegal immigrant laborers getting paid squat to pick them, and most of the crews building the subdivisions also illegal immigrant workers...

I guess down the road the farmers and construction companies will just buy Japanese robots that pick apples, build houses, etc. Maybe the Mexicans would be better off investing in TM and other companies and living off the profits in lower-expenses Mexico instead of crossing the border? ;)

I’m starting to see concerns voiced about the stability of the Mexican and other governments to our south and the potential for a huge increase in northern migration. My initial reaction was to suspect these stories were being used to support those calling for greater border security. But I live in a border state and some of my neighbors have parents and other relatives who live in Mexico. They tell me things look very troublesome in the old country. If you haven’t seen some of this, here’s what I’m referring to:

A poll published Friday in Excelsior newspaper found 50 percent of respondents feared the government was on the brink of losing control. The polling company Parametria conducted face-to-face interviews at 1,000 homes across Mexico. The poll had a margin of error of 3 percentage points.

The conflicts are “a warning sign,” said Yamel Nares, Parametria's research director.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/20060517-0302-mexico-voteoffear.html

"I am told by all that the wealthy and middle class of Mexico have their bank accounts in the US and their bags packed. They suspect the US will have no problem with these immigrants. But every single one warned that the nation is on the verge of a chaos that could send tens of millions fleeing to the US."
http://dallasblog.com/scott-bennett-view/2006/5/17/the-mexican-volcano-may-be-about-to-erupt.html

I'm starting to question my initial suspicion was that this was just a ploy to influence support for the Bush plan to send National Guard troops to the border. Now I’m wondering if this is the real reason behind that move and the govt. is trying to quietly prepare for the potential danger resulting from a meltdown in Mexico.

I'll be right back. Gotta go check my ammo supply... :eek:

Or is it that the pressure is growing there as a direct function of the changing US policy on immigration and crackdown on illegal workers entering the country.

Maybe the ability to come here and get a job making a few bucks is a pressure release valve against having to live in sucky mexico with no jobs?

REWahoo! said:
I’m starting to see concerns voiced about the stability of the Mexican and other governments to our south and the potential for a huge increase in northern migration. 
Now I’m wondering if this is the real reason behind that move and the govt. is trying to quietly prepare for the potential danger resulting from a meltdown in Mexico. 
I'll be right back.  Gotta go check my ammo supply... :eek:
Hmmm, does Mexico have any oil or WMDs?

Didn't the Bush administration express a desire to have some U.S. military units gather on the border? I wonder how many of them habla Espanol...

Nords said:
Hmmm, does Mexico have any oil or WMDs?

They do have biological weapons. Enjoy a refreshing glass of water down there and find out!

Back
Top Bottom