In Fairborn there is no ice...

I used to say that I voluntered for Nam to get out of Texas :bat: ...

Actually, I voluntered for Turkey - but you know the military...

- Ron
When I left College Station (Texas) to take a faculty position at LSU, I was thrilled. From the vantage point of College Station, Baton Rouge seemed as sophisticated, culturally rich, exciting, and cosmopolitan as Amsterdam.

Baton Rouge looks a little different to me now that I am not in College Station any more! ;)

A friend sent me a few photos of Ike on the TX coast:

Attachments

• Ike human flag.jpg
    Ike human flag.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Ike gas line.jpg
    Ike gas line.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Ike day at the beach.jpg
    Ike day at the beach.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 5
Five days after the storm there are more than 2 Million people around here without electricity. Ike really screwed with the grid here with more than 100 transmission lines down and two-three thousand transformers out. Even over here on the west side, where things were easier, 45% of my neighbors are without the juice. Luckily, we are having unseasonably cool weather and that's giving people some relief - at least they can sleep at night with their windows open. If it was a typical September everyone would have gone crazy by now.

There have been about half a dozen killed, and five times that many hospitalized, by carbon monoxide poisoning caused by generator exhaust fumes. Gas stations either don't have gas or don't have power to pump it. The lines range from 20 minutes to an hour or more.

But ice has been a precious commodity. The only people that have any are the ones with power and those that waited in line for hours to get a bag or two. Without ice the food is spoiling.

We decided, like most people here, to stay and ride this storm out. Not because we weren't concerned about how bad it could be, but because we've been through an evacuation and it is absolute murder. Two and a half million people all on the road at the same time is a giant disaster. The death toll from that evacuation is still twice that of the number killed in this storm.

With all of that taken into consideration, I've decided that I will buy a generator before next hurricane season. I can't depend on luck to be on the clean side of the next storm, and I certainly cannot depend on unseasonably cool weather afterward. The thought of living without a small AC so we can sleep, some refrigeration to keep food cool, and lights [-]for target acquisition and aiming purposes[/-] to keep the bandits away at night is just not appealing to me.

After an ice storm left us w/o power for four days I bought a Honda 4,500 watt quiet generator. It's enough to power a gas furnace, TV, computer, refrigerator, and a few light bulbs..........
Naturally, we haven't needed the generator since moving to WV. I know the day after I sell it though, we'll need it.
Back in the 70's and early 80's we used to have fairly frequent power outages in our area, so my Dad bought a generator so we could power up our furnace and frij....and a light or 2. It was a pretty small unit and not overly dependable, so about a year and a half ago I replaced it with a new & bigger 10HP generator rated at 5600 watts and 8600 starting watts 120/240 volts. It'll power up everything we need to keep going (furnace or window A/C, frij & freezer, TV, lights etc.). I haven't put in a transfer switch (yet), since we just unplug the stuff from the wall outlets, and plug 'em into the super heavy duty cord from the generator.

BTW...we very seldom have any outages these days, and when they do occur power is back on in a couple of hours or less. They finally figured out their problem and also have rewired and rerouted a lot of the local grid. But Genny's there if/when I need her! And I always a plenty of gasoline on hand for the mowers, snowblower, and other yard equipment......with stabilizer added in.......so it gets used/replaced on a regular basis.

(If the power ever goes out and isn't expected to be restored for several days, we've already determined that we'd pack up and go on vacation until it came back on.:D )

Two and a half million people all on the road at the same time is a giant disaster. The death toll from that evacuation is still twice that of the number killed in this storm.

I am really proud that over 2,000,000 people evacuated from our area for Gustav and it went so smoothly this time. I guess practice makes perfect. We left Saturday morning at 7:30 AM and it was smooth and easy, 55-65 mph the whole way. We had no problems in getting gas or anything else along the way.

As much as I blamed the mayor, governor, and anyone else I could think of for many of the problems in previous evacuations, I give them credit for conducting a really successful evacuation this time.

And lo, there was ice!

Power still out.

Yesterday after leaving the library, I went to the local Kroger; they had ice and it was going fast.

Most of the stuff in the fridge was ruined, but the stuff in the freezer was still frozen. I cooked a nice steak and sliced up some of my tomatoes.

Put some stuff in the cooler and finally had a cold drink a bit later.

Went to the laundromat this morning; the first one was without power, but the second was open. That's the first time most of those things have been in a dryer.

Eventually I'm going to have to recharge the phone and camera and toothbrush.

My neighbor is cooking on a propane camping stove. I gave another neighbor some AA batteries.

Years ago I was working on a disaster plan and didn't complete it; but do have bottles water and matches (for gas stove) and canned food and cash and charged batteries.

I have a battery charger attachment for the computer, maybe I'll go to the local Panera and plug in the laptop and charge a few.

There are free wifi spots around here. Is there something I can buy at Radio Shack to make my laptop wifi ready?

The power is still out.

It's starting to get to me: I'm clenching my teeth at night.

"You might be a redneck if you think the Styrofoam cooler is one of mankind's greatest inventions."
-Jeff Foxworthy

I find myself agreeing; bought two yesterday.

There's five male college students living in a house down the street. I noticed they had a small generator running and asked them what they were running: refrigerator and large screen TV (beer and sports?).

Those things are loud; I was several houses away with the windows closed and I could hear it, though it wasn't loud enough to keep me awake.

Things I miss the most:
Refrigerator
Internet
Microwave (and the timer on it)
Dishwasher (I had forgotten how much I loathe washing dishes)
Clothes washer
Vacuum cleaner (the floor is getting decidedly fuzzy)
TV

I wonder if the water softener is going to lose its memory.

I actually saw a repair crew today, but not in my end of town.

The power is still out.

It's starting to get to me: I'm clenching my teeth at night.

"You might be a redneck if you think the Styrofoam cooler is one of mankind's greatest inventions."
-Jeff Foxworthy

I find myself agreeing; bought two yesterday.

There's five male college students living in a house down the street. I noticed they had a small generator running and asked them what they were running: refrigerator and large screen TV (beer and sports?).

Those things are loud; I was several houses away with the windows closed and I could hear it, though it wasn't loud enough to keep me awake.

Things I miss the most:
Refrigerator
Internet
Microwave (and the timer on it)
Dishwasher (I had forgotten how much I loathe washing dishes)
Clothes washer
Vacuum cleaner (the floor is getting decidedly fuzzy)
TV

I wonder if the water softener is going to lose its memory.

I actually saw a repair crew today, but not in my end of town.

Sorry to hear this! It sounds pretty grim.

Maybe a roadtrip for a few days is in order (?). Very likely the power would be back on by the time you got back.

Yesterday my storm debris from Gustav (tree branches) was FINALLY removed. Frank's is still in his front yard.

I think the road trip idea sounds great. A day drive to a place you have never been seeing sights you have never seen.

road trip excellent idea. when times get tough, the tough get going.

i find all the generators so intolerable (not just the noise, but especially the smell) that i just close up the house and leave for a cheap hotel across the state in an undamaged area. i also have the alternative of heading to my brother's nearby who has a whole-house generator with underground propane tank. before that, he had a portable which ran the a/c in one room for sleeping, the fridge, a few lights and tv set for the kids. once inside a closed house, the neighbors' noise and smell isn't as bad.

it is outrageous that people still die from carbon monoxide poisoning due to improper generator use. this country didn't learn anything from all the past deaths down here? before a hurricane hits, authorities need to get the word out, between commercial advertisements, of the dangers to be expected after the storm when they will have no way of advancing warning. advanced warning should come in advance, not in obituaries.

one of the things that kept us from electric for so long last time was not the main lines down but the lines going to individual houses. they will not electrify that trunk, i think it is called, if a single house is disconnected. so it behooves you to know the status of your neighbors which you can than relay to repair crews when they come around. last time we got back online probably a week early (after over two weeks out) because myself and another neighbor grabbed an electric guy and showed him what needed repair.

hang in there guys. good luck.

WOW, 92 hours without power, not fun at all. Back up and running as of 12:40 this afternoon.

The best thing we had is a small TV that runs on 12 VDC so I snatched the battery from DW's car and hooked it up in our sun room command center.

Time to clean out a thawing freezer, it held for a while but not 5 days. :p

Hope you get power soon Khan.

With all of that taken into consideration, I've decided that I will buy a generator before next hurricane season. I can't depend on luck to be on the clean side of the next storm, and I certainly cannot depend on unseasonably cool weather afterward. The thought of living without a small AC so we can sleep, some refrigeration to keep food cool, and lights [-]for target acquisition and aiming purposes[/-] to keep the bandits away at night is just not appealing to me.

After 2004 and several hurricanes in a row I bought a generator and it hasn't been out of the box until this year when we had the Fay scare but it's great to know it is there if I need it . The peace of mind was worth every cent !

After 2004 and several hurricanes in a row I bought a generator and it hasn't been out of the box until this year when we had the Fay scare but it's great to know it is there if I need it . The peace of mind was worth every cent !
Same here.....I haven't needed it since I bought it, but it's there if I do! Peace of mind for me too!:D

I roll it out every so often to fire it up and make sure everything is A-OK with it.

When we built here on the river in '04 we put in a 15KW Generac generator and Auto transfer switch. Ours runs on propane as no nat. gas in the area. They come from the factory set up for nat gas. I did the install and wiring. It took the better part of a weekend. We ave critical curcits such as the well pump, septic pump and refrigerators on the generator. Also put one of the water heaters on the generator for a steady state load and so DW can take a hot shower whenever she wants. The propane heatalator fire place is also on the generator.

We average about 10-20 hours of outage a year. This winter we lost the transformer in the switch yard that feeds this area. We were out for 24 hours in -20 weather before repairs could be made. I feel its been a good investment for the comfort and security it gives.

The unit is about 2x4x3 feet and sits next to the garage. The company also has units in the 7Kw and 12KW range.

I have no stock or interest in this product just in case you think this post is a sales pitch.;);););)

In Fairborn there is no ice
We worry and aren't so nice
But when electricity appears
Our friends will be welcome to our beers.

(sorry, but someone had to)

There once was an E-R from Fairborn,
to whom ice was a rarity bar none.
Forced to drink warm beer,
she was devoid of all cheer,
until a neighbor offered a cool one.

When Fairborn lost electricity,
Poor Khan just took sips of her hot hot tea.
She dreamed of a trip
By car or by ship
Though she'd miss her white squirrels and their tall tree!

In Fairborn there is no ice
There is an ER who's nice
We miss her daily input
and hope her food is not kaput !

Back
Top Bottom