Inauguration Photo Thread

I wish I could have seen it! Maybe it will be on the news tonight.

They didn't relent and allow us to gather at a TV in a conference room until the last minute. When I got there it was already 11:04 (12:04 Eastern), a minute before the swearing in began. I am glad I got to see that, and his speech which I thought was so inspirational and moving.

W2R - in 293 days no one will be able to dictate your TV viewing schedule any more:dance:

W2R - in 293 days no one will be able to dictate your TV viewing schedule any more:dance:

I know!! I can hardly wait! :dance::clap: When I first started counting the days, I had 2350 to go. It seems very close, now.

The ridiculous part of it was that we work for the President, as part of the Executive Branch. So I feel like any Presidential inauguration is kind of special from a work standpoint.

I love Aretha and have seen her 3 times before, but she seems sort of short of breath in this one. Could be the weather, I suppose, or she could just be getting older. Of course, she's still better than pretty much anybody out there. Thanks for posting it.

As a former GS'er, I understand this all too well. Here's Aretha, enjoy!

Purron, THANK YOU so much!!!! That was even more moving than I had thought it would be. Her rendition was amazing and brought tears to my eyes too.

Love the hat, too!

What a nice surprise after flipping channels for an hour and not being able to find it. :LOL:

Oh, and harley, yes, she is getting older but I think that is why it touched me so much. She is older, but still amazing.

I love Aretha and have seen her 3 times before, but she seems sort of short of breath in this one. Could be the weather, I suppose, or she could just be getting older. Of course, she's still better than pretty much anybody out there. Thanks for posting it.

Of course she's out of breathe. She's out in the freezing cold. She's almost 67 years old, and about 100 pounds overweight.

I still challenge you to get to your second hand when counting the people who could ever, at their best, out sing her even now.

As I said, she's still the best. I was just saying. Like my comments about BB King on another forum. He's been dialing it in for years, but I say more power to him. It's all paybacks for the hard years when he was busting his ass for basically nothing. I don't think it's blasphemy to comment on people getting past their prime. I wish my prime was a tiny fraction of them now.

And I could, but I won't. No reason to start a flame war. I love Aretha. One of my proudest moments was when my DD was 7 and told me that is she could sing like anyone she would choose Aretha.

As I said, she's still the best. I was just saying. Like my comments about BB King on another forum. He's been dialing it in for years, but I say more power to him. It's all paybacks for the hard years when he was busting his ass for basically nothing. I don't think it's blasphemy to comment on people getting past their prime. I wish my prime was a tiny fraction of them now.

And I could, but I won't. No reason to start a flame war. I love Aretha. One of my proudest moments was when my DD was 7 and told me that is she could sing like anyone she would choose Aretha.

Well said harley. The reality is, Aretha has a spirit and soul that is amazing. I agree she is no longer in her prime and was not in her best voice today. Even so, the emotion she put into the song was simply amazing. I suspect that's what your DD at age 7 picked up on. We all know how kids are often so much wiser than adults. We should listen more closely to them!

It was a great day, with huge crowds of wonderful people. We started out about 8:00 and walked south of the Capitol paralleling the Mall:

img_774848_0_d8eae6bd3d4177ab64bdb72d9d41152e.jpg

At every opportunity to turn toward the Mall, thousands of people were jammed up, so we kept moving west looking for an opportunity to see the show:

img_774848_1_dfbdecaa2a010dd851e918764c88aee9.jpg

We eventually came out by the Washington Monument about a mile and a half from the Capitol:

img_774848_2_d1eeaedabdd6f4de9a6bdaf859ff8c0f.jpg

img_774848_3_38a1c89a337429e609cceb4cc385a80a.jpg

But the sound system and video monitor was great so we didn't miss a thing. Here is the 44th President taking the oath of office:

img_774848_4_050536936bcd1b52b65e8447094075c7.jpg

In the meantime, DW was closer in:

img_774848_5_af3229420e19493dbe919ccfefd7056f.jpg

That's Barb on the right and our friend Sharon on the left:

img_774848_6_720cdad035f9c09c3d9143c8bb6d4043.jpg

Here is their view back toward us -- way back by that little monument. Gives you a feel for the crowd size:

img_774848_7_47d9e78e975e307cdfe2294f0c0ccf93.jpg

Getting back home was easier than getting down there. We skirted way south where the busses were parked and the crowds were thin:

img_774848_8_eca202f6c6bb0642eb1549429e133fab.jpg

Lots to be proud of today. Every inauguration, to me, validates the incredible process we have and highlights the importance of the Constitution. It's not about the new President, or about the departing one. 44 peaceful changes of power from one man to another over the course of over 230 years--few nations can match it. As long as we have the Constitution and as long as respect for its tenets remains strong in the populace, our future is bright.

Agreed, it is indeed an incredible process.

But.... some day..... I want to see the above sentiment written as: "XX peaceful changes of power from one person to another"

--Linney
a Barack supporter, not a Hillary supporter :)

It was a great day, with huge crowds of wonderful people.
Thanks so much for sharing these. I've been following your pictures and stories over the past couple days. It has been great to hear your first-hand account of the inauguration experience!

--Linney

Lots to be proud of today. Every inauguration, to me, validates the incredible process we have and highlights the importance of the Constitution. It's not about the new President, or about the departing one. 44 peaceful changes of power from one man to another over the course of over 230 years--few nations can match it. As long as we have the Constitution and as long as respect for its tenets remains strong in the populace, our future is bright.
Right you are, samclem. Remember in 2000 it wasn't until three weeks or a month after the election that we knew who the next president was going to be? I thought to myself during the period of uncertainty that in a lot of countries there would have been a coup de etat if similar circumstances had arisen.

Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue! (unfortunately there is no flag wavin' smilie)

Don,

A news reporter said that when Bush's helicopter flew over, "some of the crowd was respectful, others less so." What did you see at that point?

Don,
A news reporter said that when Bush's helicopter flew over, "some of the crowd was respectful, others less so." What did you see at that point?
I heard reporters comment on this, too, as well as some Bush jeering during the ceremony. Too bad, but there are always a few who can't see past shorter-term issues and just don't "get it" with regard to the big picture. I try to focus on the much larger percentage of folks who silently took it in, applauded politely or raucously, and were happy for the day.

Here is the final Inauguration themed excursion. My friends from Hawaii wanted to experience the internationally renowned Ben's half smoke with chili at Ben's Chili Bowl. Ben's popularity has gone off the charts since Barak Obama and DC Mayor Fenty went up there for half smokes last week. We got up there and the line ran down the block with three police cars to handle traffic. Luckily I knew that Ben's son's opened "Ben's Next Door" in December. It is an upscale urban bar/restaurant but they serve authentic Ben's chili and half smokes at lunch. So we sat in luxurious comfort in front of a wide screen TV at the bar and enjoyed our half smokes with the works while the traditionalists waited in line for two hours next door.

Here is Ben's sign:
img_775122_0_5b78bdd702c7e836a5fecc77ab509440.jpg

This is the line down the alley:

img_775122_1_d5a034e15adc6b5a7d47de1d4b40daed.jpg

And here is a shot out fron with the Obama Ice Sculpture produced by a patron:

img_775122_2_afd107d99d94f9ceca79caccb1f23ca2.jpg

Welcome to the new Soapbox! (is it January 21st already?)

DUDE! You're back! Glad to hear from you and Happy Squirrel Appreciation Day to you and yours! If you're not familiar with this auspicious occasion, check out my thread in "other topics".

Back
Top Bottom