Indicators of Wealth?

Peanut butter. Yum. Helped me get through college. :)

Just ate two PBJ's and two bananas for breakfast. Nourishing, tastes good, and costs very little.

Does anything taste better than a PBJ sandwich? Maybe a toasted PBJ sandwich suitcase style?

From time to time the store with have "half racks", 4 ribs which is perfect for me. The next time I have to get a full rack I will cut it in half and do 2 meals as lamb does not re-heat well.

I found this out the last time I was lusting and the store only had full racks.

Do you have a good recipe for cooking them you could share?

Challenge your taste buds with different kinds of jelly. My long-time favorite is strawberry preserves, but I also use different kinds of English marmalade and even ginger preserves.

Does anything taste better than a PBJ sandwich? Maybe a toasted PBJ sandwich suitcase style?

Just ate two PBJ's and two bananas for breakfast. Nourishing, tastes good, and costs very little.

I prefer chunky. Yet another indication (as Khan would say) that I am not really a woman?

Am thinking of going big-time and switching to organic PB, as I've heard it tastes better than commercial.

Great breakfast, Amethyst.
I also prefer chunky--and ginger preserves!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Trader Joe's carries a good peanut butter that you have to stir. Creamy unsalted for me.

I grew up on peanut butter and iceberg lettuce sandwiches. The lettuce does a decent job of keeping the peanut butter from sticking to the roof of your mouth.

The chunky stuff is good for stir fry and baking.

Lsbcal has just posted a poll on our self-evaluation of our health.

Now, that's an "indicator of wealth" that cannot be bought with dollars. Along with that, there are many others, such as relationship with others, like a spouse or SO, family members, friends, etc...

I prefer chunky. Yet another indication (as Khan would say) that I am not really a woman?

Am thinking of going big-time and switching to organic PB, as I've heard it tastes better than commercial.

3 times the price for organic at one store I go too - there's your wealth indicator.
I like the regular that doesn't separate. Unfortunately, I think that's partially hydrogenated oil, one of the few food items I actively avoid.

DW & I Just purchased $106.45 worth of Top shelf Filet Mignion for supper today. Does that make us Wealthy, or just plain stupid?

I sure do not feel any wealthier... ;)
I would have paired with a top shelf Cab Sav and a large baked potato but no PB&J for me. Not wealthy but satisfied.

(We actually also had a Caesar salad prepared at the table in our last dinner out for steak.)

PB or baloney with mustard reminds me of hard times. Not that I don't still enjoy them but definitely not in this thread.

Last edited:
For me, peanut butter, cheese and eggs bring back memories of times that were good, but also hard. Indicators of wealth for us back then sure were different than they are today. It helps to remember that once in a while. :)

I would have paired with a top shelf Cab Sav and a large baked potato but no PB&J for me. Not wealthy but satisfied.

(We actually also had a Caesar salad prepared at the table in our last dinner out for steak.)

PB or baloney with mustard reminds me of hard times. Not that I don't still enjoy them but definitely not in this thread.

After that dinner with braised lamb shank, I have been eating light. It's tough to eat heavy meals day in day out.

But I have never had a peanut butter sandwich in my life, if anyone can believe that. I can eat it, but I just do not have the habit. I eat peanuts plenty, but in the form of dry roasted.

And it's been forever since I ate jelly. Nothing wrong with jelly either, but I'd rather have a ham-n-cheese sandwich.

Imma gonna order up "sushi to go" tonight. Heat up some Sake. Eat at home.

Cheap, only twenty bucks - :)

For breakfast, peanut butter on toast with fresh fruit, usually peaches or whatever else is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Show me a young guy (under 60?) who does not lust for a super-car (or even a classic)?

I think you are behind times. We had quite a big discussion about it at work.
Older guys (let say >50) were talking & lusting about cars, restoring their Corvettes, etc.
Out of the younger crowd, almost nobody cared (2 dudes). They don't mind nicer, comfortable ones, but super-cars or classics are not on their radars.
This was a sample of around 40 engineers (including 3 women), I'm guessing ages from late twenties to sixties.

Yes, it is all about having options. One can buy a fancy car, but doesn't. She can travel, but won't. He can eat out, but does not care to.

However, having the options but not exercising them leaves little clues to an outsider that a person has some "wealth". Hence, there are no visible "indicators of wealth".

I think you are behind times. We had quite a big discussion about it at work.
Older guys (let say >50) were talking & lusting about cars, restoring their Corvettes, etc.
Out of the younger crowd, almost nobody cared (2 dudes). They don't mind nicer, comfortable ones, but super-cars or classics are not on their radars.
This was a sample of around 40 engineers (including 3 women), I'm guessing ages from late twenties to sixties.
That might explain why the prices at Barrett-Jackson have dropped? I thought it was the recession.

Yes, it is all about having options. One can buy a fancy car, but doesn't. She can travel, but won't. He can eat out, but does not care to.

However, having the options but not exercising them leaves little clues to an outsider that a person has some "wealth". Hence, there are no visible "indicators of wealth".
As I said earlier, I don't think that was the point of the thread at all. It was (I believe) your own personal indication to you of what you do or would do if you are financially wealthy. Not whether someone would view you, or you them, wealthy based on what you do or spend things on.

My take is that it's more than just having options, it's actually exercising them. Some people like cars, some like travel and some like food and drink. Others like clothes and jewelry.

Yes, wealth means having options, more options than the economically challenged.

But if you don't have a little fun with your "big stack" of dough, what is the use of having it?

Back
Top Bottom