Join Early Retirement Today

Inpatient versus outpatient
Old 03-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Inpatient versus outpatient

I recently had a surgery planned at a hospital as an outpatient service, but because the surgery was a little more involved, I was admitted and stayed overnight. My insurance requires pre-certification for hospital admission but since I did not know I'd be admitted, the pre-certification could not have been done ahead of time. Is something like this considered outpatient or inpatient when it is submitted to the insurance company? I have done some research and the criteria seems to be if you were in the hospital at least 24 hours, it is considered inpatient. I was actually there about 28 hours so seems like it should be inpatient. This same experience happened about 4 years ago and it was treated as an inpatient. Have the rules changed or became fuzzy the past 4 years?
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It should be considered an emergency admittance which shouldn't require pre-certification. Not everything can be planned.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
It should be considered an emergency admittance which shouldn't require pre-certification. Not everything can be planned.
Sounds right to me. Your doc/providers should be able to work it out with your insurer.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

How can something that was planned be considered an emergency
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The overnight admission wasn't planned. Something happened during the procedure to change the mind of the doctor about sending him home, preferring to have him monitored in the hospital overnight.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Complications. Evidently you have not had much experience with medical problems, like me. However shocking it may be, sometimes things don't go as planned.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The overnight admission wasn't planned. Something happened during the procedure to change the mind of the doctor about sending him home, preferring to have him monitored in the hospital overnight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Complications. Evidently you have not had much experience with medical problems, like me. However shocking it may be, sometimes things don't go as planned.

OK.... misread the post... thought they admitted him before the surgery.... my bad..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Sounds right to me. Your doc/providers should be able to work it out with your insurer.
I would notify the insurance company myself. Agree the DRs and other providers will provide the documentation.

I only add this as one horrible policly I had many years ago had a provision that the patient had to inform them. I never did get them to answer the obvious question; what if I'm incapable of calling you?
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote