Is America a Superpower?

A superpower is a state with the first rank in the international system and the ability to influence events and project power on a worldwide scale; it is considered a higher level of power than a major power. It was a term applied to the Soviet Union and the United States during the Cold War, although it was for a short time, in the immediate aftermath of World War Two, applied to the British Commonwealth and Empire.

Currently one superpower exists, the United States; sometimes, given the unipolar nature of the world, claimed to be a hyperpower. China and India appear to have the greatest potential, amongst all the other nations, of achieving superpower or near-superpower status within the 21st century and are often termed as emerging superpowers. The European Union has the ability to be a emerging superpower, but it is not one nation.

That's the Wikipedia definition of a superpower. Note that it has nothing to do with all of the issues brought up in the linked article.

Based on the definition given above I'd say that yes the US is still a superpower.

Still got nukes. Its a superpower. But who really cares?

Lets see...militarily, yes. Economically, yes. And with all that might and money, lousy education and healthcare. Broadly disliked by many people in many other nations.

Against that backdrop, our biggest topics of discussion are whether we should bar our maids and farm workers from entering the country and whether people of the same sex can or should get married.

So if you're counting by fighter jets and cash, we sure are.

By many other measures, we could be doing a much better job.

CFB, you are starting to sound like a Canadian.

The next sign is a penchant for Hockey and wanting to stay at home with your child instead of putting her in day care.

Eh?(ironic Jack Bauer, who is America's Superhero is the Grand Son of the guy who introduced Universal Health Care to Canada)

Are you guys a Superpwer, No, but you are a World Power.

Lets be clear: while i'm not always proud of what america does, i'm always proud to be an american.

Beats the crap out of living in the shadow of another country while proclaiming your small superiorities ;)

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Lets be clear: while i'm not always proud of what america does, i'm always proud to be an american.

Beats the crap out of living in the shadow of another country while proclaiming your small superiorities ;)

Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have a winner on Aisle 1.  Now gals and guys, let's promise Canada that we'll be a better world citizen, like them! Let's do what France and Germany want, so they'll like us.  We're sooooo bad but we promise to be better.

I see we can still drop bombs! :LOL:

No one questioned the Soviet Union's superpower status, and it would have done horribly on this article's measuring stick. If they want to change the definition of superpower, well...

Kinda pathetic responses, not unexpected, but it may give you some insight as to why Americans are disliked so globally.

Superpowers. the Mongol Empire,the Egyptian Empire, the Roman Empire The Hapsburgs, Ottoman, Greek, British .

Surely even you of such myopic vision can see that the U.S. is, was, never will be, in that class.

You are proud to be American, because?

You are a nation founded on genocide, you have proud claim to killing more of your own people in the Civil War, you have not produced one artist of International Fame along the lines of a Gaugein or Rembrandt.

Walt Disney wrote your History book, and you are proud of What??

Sorry people, you think we live in your shadow, in your dreams.

What happens when our $ is worth, again, more than yours, who gets bragging rights.

I had many opportunities to move to the U.S, I don't like your politics, i don't like your social lack of support, I don't like living in a city that is a donut, I hate your gun craziness.

I have met many Americans, they are very friendly, but their world knowledge is almost non existant,they have a skewed version of what the world is really like.

Oh Yeah, we gave the world, Greenpeace.

Let the games begin.

Oh yeah, you
have also assassinated more of your leaders than even the Romans.

America is a Superpower like the Yankees are World Champions.

Maximillion said:
You are a nation founded on genocide,

Good point, Max! On the other hand, the Indians up north just lay down and died, so you guys had a walkover.

Crap, Ha...I was ready with that one, but apparently a little late...

Max, i'm proud to be an american because we invented Mylar.

Now give me the names of another 5-6 canadians who ran like hell the minute they got a drivers license or enough money for a bus ticket, made their fortunes in the US and then remained here... ::)

Honest! We all aren't like Howard up here. ;)

I dumped on youbet in a related thread this morning for going after Howard! :-[

What the f*ck was I thinking:confused: :confused: Flame away youbet! :LOL:

..............back to the topic. Yes America is a superpower. No doubt!

I'm not proud to be an American, because I was just born here. I had no control of it whatsoever. It's just like an ******* to me. Everyone is born with one!

Now I might be lucky to be an American, and that is another story!

If I was an Immigrant and fought my way here and earned citizenship, I might be proud, because I would have actually had some control of the process. But looking at some dude in Alabama that was born and raised here tell me that he's proud to be American - Well, he could just as well be talkin about his *******! :D

Maximillion likes to spend his time on this American forum typing in US-English using his American brand computer invented in America. He is lighting his home using an Edison light bulb , call on his Bell - telephone, vacuum his home using a Hoover invention. He is watching American TV series etc etc :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Maximillion said:
Superpowers. the Mongol Empire,the Egyptian Empire, the Roman Empire The Hapsburgs, Ottoman, Greek, British .

Surely even you of such myopic vision can see that the U.S. is, was, never will be, in that class.

Your right, we aren't in that class, the Mongols would kill every man woman and child in a city and stack the bones in pyramids to scare other nations into submission, The Egyptian Pharos married their sisters and eventually had horrific amounts of birth defects due to inbreeding, the Roman empire had many more slaves per capita than America ever did, and thought watching people hack each other to pieces in an arena was sport....did you actually write the Hapsburgs? A large extended family of pompous idiots who treated Europe as their personal inheritence, as well as everyone who lived in it?

The only one on your list that could be argued is the British Empire, it truly was vast, and towards it's twilight, was pretty civilized. Yet women still lacked the vote until it was an Empire in name only.

The U.S. Constitution/Bill of Rights is the model of what a founding document for an egalitarian society should be. Yes, it's based on British Common law, but Masterpieces often have a rough draft.

As far as scoffing at our cultural contributions, between Walt Whitman, Emily Dickison, Andy Warhol, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, J.D. Salinger, Norman Rockwell...well, let's just not go there.

Really, trying to belittle the influence of the United States on the World only belittles yourself.

perinova said:
Maximillion likes to spend his time on this American forum typing in US-English using his American brand computer invented in America. He is lighting his home using an Edison light bulb , call on his Bell - telephone, vacuum his home using a Hoover invention. He is watching American TV series etc etc :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You forgot the American invented and created Internet...

The Telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell, in Brantford, Ontario.

The lightbulb, by Swan, a year before Edison(the same Edison who refused to let Jewish Theatre owners use his system and forced them to Hollywood).

Insulin, by banting and Best, in toronto.

Great American Artists, maybe in America, but to think that the U.S. has produced a Mozart. a Renoir, a Shakespeare,a Dickens, a Voltaire, is truly laughable.

True, every Empire was built on the cruel treatment of others, in that the U.S can stake its' claim, the genocide of the Aboriginals, the Apartheid Era that ended less than 40 years ago, the disenfranchised minorities who toil in sweat shops.

The gap in America between the Have and the Have Nots is widening, Gated Communities are springing up to protect the haves from the intrusion of the Have Nots, the Upper and Lower Classes % are increasing, the Middle is shrinking.

The constant propaganda that bombards the populace daily is right out of 1984 , the chest beating, the bumper stickers,the flag waving, a well orchestrated machine, an attempt to take people's minds off of the reality of their day to day existances.

30% of U.S Homeowners now have negative Net worth in their primary residance, literraly eating themselves to stay afloat.

80% of all NEW R&D Facilities are being built in China and in India, a sure sign of the shifting of power.

You ask if America is a Super Power, then shoot the messenger who dares to show a mirror on your society, you do not tackle the issues, you respond like a howling mob, how dare someone disagree with what must surely be right, that is what they told us in Schools, that is what Kate Smith sings to us umpteen times a day .

Canada is not a Super Power, but it is a Good Society, the majority share in the largesse of its production, we do not invade Third World Countries to justify a War Machine.

We are quiet, we don't boast, but we do get the job done.

America is a Meringue Pie, very nice to look at, tastes good but causes obesity, full of air and subject to a total collapse after the air in the Meringue escapes.

America has had its' 15 minutes of fame, a World Power in the brief annals of time, but 300 years from now, it will just be a foot note to History.

France gve us Chateaubrian and Fine Red Wine, America gave us the Super Sized Big Mac with Diet Cola, and of course, Freedom Fries.

My country 'tis of thee, Music stolen from God save the Queen.

Behave yourself, maximillian. After all, you Canadians could have had French food, British culture and American technology. Instead you have French technology, British food and American culture.

Toronto is New York, organised by the Swiss.

Fine English Cuisine is an Oxymoron, just like French Intelligence.

Come on Maxy/Howie...you drop Canada anywhere else in the world and its the russian far east without the interesting vodka and tasty fish eggs. And its pwned by whatever pissant neighboring country needs ice.

You still dont get french benefits.

And you still didnt invent mylar.

Back
Top Bottom