It's Albuquerque for us

As a Californian, Austin is the only place in Texas I could imagine myself living. If Californianians feel at home, you know it's weird! ;)

I've never been to New Mexico, and have always wanted to go. When the kids get a bit older we'll take a road trip out there to check out Carlsbad Caverns, Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

...sounds like if you don't drive a car in Austin you'll be fine!

Must be tough for people that are still working. ;) and living in the outskirts

...sounds like if you don't drive a car in Austin you'll be fine!
As long as you like burnt orange and white (U.T. colors) you'll be fine. ;)

Must be tough for people that are still working. ;) and living in the outskirts
A commute there during rush hour would probably be a real drag. So, you would probably want to arrange your working hours or where you lived with that in mind.

As long as you like burnt orange and white (U.T. colors) you'll be fine. ;)

A commute there during rush hour would probably be a real drag. So, you would probably want to arrange your working hours or where you lived with that in mind.
not my favorite colors....I'm not working...if this fantasy becomes reality I would live South Austin in winter..and do as I and the other retired do here - if I need to drive I would venture out after 9am and make sure I get the car back before 3pm. otherwise I would walk and bus some like I did last visit not so bad and with $5 gallon gas coming I 'll be better off and get more exercise.

not my favorite colors....I'm not working...if this fantasy becomes reality I would live South Austin in winter..and do as I and the other retired do here - if I need to drive I would venture out after 9am and make sure I get the car back before 3pm. otherwise I would walk and bus some like I did last visit not so bad and with $5 gallon gas coming I 'll be better off and get more exercise.
Sounds like a great life! Like you, I plan to walk more and drive less in ER.

Tiger,

There are lots of good things about ABQ, but before you move I would encourage you to visit in other seasons. It can get pretty hot in the summer and the sun feels scorching because of the high altitude. The winters can get cold which isn't so bad, but man is the air DRY. When I visit my brother and parents in the winter, my skin dehydrates the minute I set foot off the plane. The skin on my fingers turns into sandpaper and snags on everything I touch. It drives me crazy. But then, I'm a Southern California girl, so I'm pretty spoiled with the weather.

Zan

i went to albq a couple years ago in december and it was 16 degrees and snowed the night before i landed...

I'm moving from just north of Austin, tomorrow. Some parts I'll miss, others, not at all. Traffic on I-35 on the double decker part by campus and downtown is miserable just about any time of day, doubly miserable at rush hour. I avoid it when I can, but had to use it Sunday and nearly plowed into someone when traffic went from 50 to a stop just as I entered the lower level. The new bypass will help, but since it's a toll road many won't take it. Light rail is coming, but the town is so spread out I don't know how well it will fly, at a major, major cost.

Real estate is still reasonable, and west Austin and beyond is really pretty.

Austin is for people who don't want to be in Texas. The rest of Texas doesn't think much of Austin.

I'm moving from just north of Austin, tomorrow. Some parts I'll miss, others, not at all. Traffic on I-35 on the double decker part by campus and downtown is miserable just about any time of day, doubly miserable at rush hour. I avoid it when I can, but had to use it Sunday and nearly plowed into someone when traffic went from 50 to a stop just as I entered the lower level. The new bypass will help, but since it's a toll road many won't take it. Light rail is coming, but the town is so spread out I don't know how well it will fly, at a major, major cost.

Real estate is still reasonable, and west Austin and beyond is really pretty.

Austin is for people who don't want to be in Texas. The rest of Texas doesn't think much of Austin.
Texas is really diverse and different...wife has people around Tyler...I've spent time in Fort Worth Dallas Amarillo Lubbock Folsom Prison San Antone Hill Country and they were so different from each other..people in Fort Worth look down on Dallas I learned...I gather the whole state looks askance at Austin..the place where "weird" refugees go I guess.

Where are you moving to runningbum?

We just returned from visiting Reno, Las Cruces, El Paso and Albuquerque.
Can you say what made you reject Reno? I've never been there when the weather wasn't fine, there is really good outdoor recreation quite near, University of Nevada is there, and it is a pretty lively spot 24-7.

Ha

I'm moving from just north of Austin, tomorrow. Some parts I'll miss, others, not at all. Traffic on I-35 on the double decker part by campus and downtown is miserable just about any time of day, doubly miserable at rush hour.

That was the part I was talking about! It was really confusing to me as an out-of-towner driving in from a small town like College Station, and not expecting that sort of thing.

I think the opinions of Austin held by people in BCS were strongly influenced by the Longhorns being in Austin. :rolleyes: But overall nobody said anything too bad about it (other than that). Well, and they didn't much like the liberal/hippy/arts/music sort of thing going on by campus either. I thought it was kind of cool. :D

Last edited:
Can you say what made you reject Reno? I've never been there when the weather wasn't fine, there is really good outdoor recreation quite near, University of Nevada is there, and it is a pretty lively spot 24-7.

Ha

You should have been there when we were, it was the coldest and wettest Memorial Day weekend in 20 years but that didn't influence us. The city itself didn't have anything that appealed to us, we drove down the main street and until we reached the area where the government buildings are all we saw were pawn shops, adult book stores & seedy looking characters. We just didn't like the feel of the place.

Zantastic,

It was 100 or over the week we spent in Las Cruces & El Paso and it was nothing compared to NY in the 90's with high humidity. I also would rather have a warmer winter with less snow than our winters, we'll just buy lots of chap stick & skin cream.

The city itself didn't have anything that appealed to us, we drove down the main street and until we reached the area where the government buildings are all we saw were pawn shops, adult book stores & seedy looking characters. We just didn't like the feel of the place.

Hey, you might have been looking at me!

Ha

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom