James Arness is gone

The ultimate man's man.

DH still watches Gunsmoke...he particularly likes the 'black and whites'.

A few weeks ago DH found a site and was able to send a message to him.

Rest in peace James.

His "final statement" to his fans, on his Web site, as reported by CNN, is classy. (I wish TVLand would show those very early late 50s black-and-white episodes with the original theme song.)

It's still unclear to me what Matt Dillon was doing upstairs in the Longbranch Saloon with Miss Kitty and the girls every week. One can only speculate at this time. Now if they had Twitter in Dodge City back in the day, we would be more informed.

Sad to see that Jim Arness has passed. Didn't his brother, Peter Graves, recently die also?

Yes Peter died earlier at 83. Mission Impossible!

Matt Dillon and Joe Friday together again! Fighting crime up there!

We loved "Gunsmoke". We have made a number of visits to Dodge City, Kansas over the years.

For you firearms enthusiasts out there, the revolver that James Arness used in "Gunsmoke" was a Colt .45 Single Action Army Revolver clone with faux stag grips manufactured by Great Western Firearms in Los Angeles, California.

We loved "Gunsmoke". We have made a number of visits to Dodge City, Kansas over the years.

For you firearms enthusiasts out there, the revolver that James Arness used in "Gunsmoke" was a Colt .45 Single Action Army Revolver clone with faux stag grips manufactured by Great Western Firearms in Los Angeles, California.

Thanks JakeBrake. What a great piece of TV/old west/Gunsmoke trivia.

I was there a few times also, but alass, as I recall, it is no longer "visitable" and is back to just being a hot, dry ranch in south TX.
I remember they had an old, glass sided, horse drawn hearse....used in the "Magnificent Seven", if I recall correctly......interesting that it was built in Guelph, Ontario.

My parents both loved Gunsmoke. Thinking about their enjoyment of the show brings back a lot of memories. Festus was always my favorite.
Mr. Rodgers, Capt Kangaroo, Perry Mason, etc. all gone. I will be truly devasted when Andy Griffith goes. He is possibly the last of the Mohicans.

I always had a preferance for Chester (He always call him "Mr Dillon"). Dennis Weaver played Chester who always had a gimpy leg on the show. He was also an Olympic runner if I recall correctly.

You know, it was probably Chester that I liked then as I enjoyed the guy with the limp.
Another of my favorites, Carroll O'Connor passed away a number of years ago. Even though I have something like 200 cable TV channels I often can find nothing to watch and resort to re-runs of "All in the Family", "The Golden Girls" and "Sanford and Son". I really liked Redd Foxx, too.

Back
Top Bottom