I Could Use a New Calculator

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Kind a surprised to say this in this day and age, but recently I discovered my old, trusty calculator I've used for about 35 years is not up to the task. There isn't anything physically broken with the calculator but as I was double checking totals on a spreadsheet of my portfolio values, I then discovered, there aren't enough digits displayed. My trusty calculator is only a measly 8 digit calculator. I'm surprised that it took this long to run in this situation.

I know what folks are thinking. 1) just use a phone app. I can "get by" doing that as I do have a calculator app. But the font is small and no real keys to press. Could get tedious pretty fast. 2) use a calculator program on the computer and use the numeric keypad. I can "get by" with this too, but I'm less error prone using a physical calculator as I hunch over my desk inputting numbers than squinting at numbers on the computer screen.

Peeking over at Amazon, I guess calculators haven't gone out of style as there are plenty to choose from. That's a good thing. I think :popcorn:.

Looks like 16 digit calculators are under $30 on Amazon. That’s the same as the iPhone calculator.

Looks like 16 digit calculators are under $30 on Amazon. That’s the same as the iPhone calculator.

16? I don't think I'd live long enough to need more than 12 :).

How many digits do you need? This thread is starting to read like those initial posts from someone who has $10+ million in net worth, and they can't figure out if they can retire.

I have been using a Texas Instruments TI-30Xa since they were first released in the late 1990s, both at work and at home. They are cheap enough to replace when the buttons and/or display start acting up. Much rather use it than the PC's calculator and my smartphone's calculator. 10 digits, so *only* good to $99,999,99.99.

If you need more digits than that for your portfolio ...

I need at least 10 since commas and decimal counts as a digit.

Unlike the old tv show, Eight is Not Enough :LOL:

Not only at least 10 digits but also would like one that uses a regular (AA or AAA) or at least solar. While I'm at it, wouldn't mind one with mechanical keys too (but not a deal breaker).

I've been browsing today but the cheapskate in me hopes some candidates :) will show up on Amazon Vine for me to snatch up.

Wait .. think I need at least 12 digits.

1,000,000.00 ==> isn't that 12 digits in calculator terms?

I use the calculator in Windows, switched to scientific. With 32 characters avaiable, I'm able to count my money! :D

I use the windows built in calculator. I do all of my financial work on my laptop so it's already handy. All the digits you should ever need. Handy keypad. If I really don't want to shrink spreadsheet or browser windows down I'll go to my office and connect my large external display as a second.

I used one of these as an undergrad to do statistical calculations. We only had one in the lab and boy, did it ever get a lot of use!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 14.02.18.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 14.02.18.png
    827.2 KB · Views: 40
I am like you and use an "old-fashioned" calculator. Catiga CD-2775-12 that is powered by solar with a battery backup, 12 digits with the period/decimal point NOT taking any of the digit space. No commas. I think I bought it from Amazon and have been using it for at least 5 years with the original battery. Amazon still sells them (2 color choices) for $7.99 plus sales tax. My home office does not get any sunlight so the Solar charge is from the light bulbs I use to light my office. No, I do not have that much $ to need 12 digits but like you, my old 8-digit calculator was not big enough.

I like to keep a couple calculators around, sometimes I just want to check some figures and don't want to type on a phone.

Trouble is, I want large digits and a few scientific/engineering functions, and I can't seem to find both in one.
Sq root (pretty common), raise to exponent, inverse, and engineering notation would be a plus (display in 10^3, 10^6, etc).

-ERD50

I am like you and use an "old-fashioned" calculator. Catiga CD-2775-12 that is powered by solar with a battery backup, 12 digits with the period/decimal point NOT taking any of the digit space. No commas. I think I bought it from Amazon and have been using it for at least 5 years with the original battery. Amazon still sells them (2 color choices) for $7.99 plus sales tax. My home office does not get any sunlight so the Solar charge is from the light bulbs I use to light my office. No, I do not have that much $ to need 12 digits but like you, my old 8-digit calculator was not big enough.

Just looked up that calculator. Looks nice except the use of LR44 batteries. I'd rather have one that takes AA or AAA batteries.

I prefer the tactile feel of a real calculator rather than the non-tactile of a capacitive screen for calculator work. My trusty pocket Sharp EL-W516 has served me well for many, many years, both professionally and in retirement. It is so much better than my 1st scientific calculator that I bought back in the 70's, a Bowmar Brain on closeout for around $160. I see a version of the Sharp is being sold, a 16 digit calculator for around $30. Let's hope you need 16 digits in the future.

I use the calculator included with Windows. If I want to run a “tape”, I use Excel. When you type a number and hit enter, Excel drops down to the next line. The feel is very close to a ten key with a tape. It’s not as smooth if you want positives and negatives in the same run but for a straight add, it works very well. Also allows you to go back and edit your numbers if you have a keying error.

I use an HP32SII. It is far smarter than I am, but it is RPN, which is a requirement for me. It will display 11 digits plus it provides commas in between digit position -- so no cost for them. HP also gives away a free HP35 emulator for Windows. 13 digits. Also RPN. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_35s)

The HP32 sits physically on my desk and the HP35 is on my taskbar. I find myself using the HP32 much more often.

Just now I could not find the HP35 emulator but did find several other HP emulators.

I use a calculator app on my phone. That's when I remember. Most of the time, yep, I just pull up another spreadsheet on my computer and type out the formula. :LOL:

The stand alone calculator won't go away, unless or until all math class tests are done on the computer. If you have taken a calculus class, you know that is very unlikely...

Be careful. I remember watching a YouTube some time ago, where the guy bought some cheapo solar calculators and took them apart. A number (no pun intended) of them had fake solar panels and actually just used the battery only.

I found an android app that should work for now.

It doesn't offer real keys like a calculator but has no problem with higher digits plus simulates a paper tape (nice feature) so I can better see what numbers are getting added together. Will give that a try when the next chance arises.

There's probably a Linux alternative to DeskCalc for Windows, which can print the tape. I found that feature useful when I did taxes.

As for precision, that doesn't concern me, so I don't take it into account.

I received for my 18th birthday back in 1981 a Sharp EL-506S Scientific/Statistical calculator. I used it a lot in the 1980s, both for college (I took some stat classes) and for personal use, and it still runs on its original battery, probably one of those pill-shaped ones. I have used it very little since 1990, opting for simpler $5 calculators which have larger buttons and displays as my eyesight has not been as sharp (no pun intended) as it was in my 20s.

The Sharp calculator has 10 digits, while my newer, simpler one has only 8. My previous cell phone (flip-phone) had a calculator, but my current one does not, something I miss.

This is the vintage Sharp calculator I have.

Virtual Museum of Calculators

Back
Top Bottom