Joy of Cooking

() said:
Brewer - pretty close to my recipe except I dont cook it or bottle it, and use lime juice instead of the red wine vinegar, although I often put a good dash of balsamic in.

I use the romas, but seed and devein them with a spoon so I just have the flesh.

I also dont use much cilantro, or use some basil in addition to boost the tomato flavor.

I've discovered that the hand crank 'food processors' or 'food choppers' are really nice for making salsas.  Since they're not motor powered, you can keep the salsa from being turned into puree.  I can get nice medium dice with just a few turns of the crank.  $6 a pop at my local discounter.

Well, we do one batch a year when tomatoes are at the height of the season, and it does us for the year (plus some for gifting purposes).

Another case of being spoiled by california weather...I've been using our cherry tomatoes that came in in early April and will be producing well into November.

I've thought about freezing the stuff as I do like it crunchy with a bite, although I know a lot of people prefer the smooth, cooked varieties.

Actually, funny part about the cherry tomatoes...besides the two plants I grow every year, a tomato must have fallen off our plants last year and rolled off the patio into the dirt. In March a little tomato plant popped up there and I left it alone. Its now waist high and about 10' across.

Pretty good for a straggler...

Back
Top Bottom