Jury Duty Strategy

Every year? Around here, once you serve, you don't get called back for at least 4 years. I was called when I was 19 and again at age 24. My mom was shocked as she hasn't been called once in 50+ years. I'm expecting another one anytime now as it's been just over 4 years. I went both times. The first time, after sitting in a room for about an hour, they said the trial was cancelled and we were excused with "time served". The second time I made it past the first cut and had to go to the court room but was eliminated early in the final process. Every year seems a little too often but i'd still go unless there was a serious legitamite reason not to.

I always thought that they should just have it a volunteer since there are so many that seem to LOVE doing it.

I guess it might skew the outcome of cases if the same people keep serving but then again there are people who really want no parts of jury duty.

Jim

Regarding the blasting television sets that make reading difficult/impossible: I suggest bringing along a pair of ear plugs. That's what I do when I take my car in for servicing (same stupid television in the dealer's waiting area).

In our county they issue a warrant for your arrest whether the summons was received or not, and you get to go see a judge about it, and explain it to him/her. It's stated in bold red print on the jury summons.
Of course, I have no idea what the actual practice is in your county. But I suspect that you may be confusing what the summons says could happen, with what actually happens (in most cases, nothing at all).

With all of the other demands upon public resources, tracking down reluctant jurors is very, very, very low on the priority scale.

My older sister served on a grand jury for one day a week for six weeks and came away with the same conclusions as dgalbraith100 - don't people have anything else to do besides commit crimes.

The one time I was called for jury duty was an exercise in governmental absurdity. There I was, a 25-year police officer summoned in a criminal trial with my case folder in one hand and a jury summons for another trial in the other. They continued the criminal trial because of the remote possibility that I'd have to serve on the jury. Of course I couldn't be on the jury, because I'd known and worked with three of the state's witnesses for 20+ years. So they paid me my salary plus the jury pay to sit on my butt the whole day.

And they didn't even have a loud TV.

I was only called for jury duty once - the decision making process was the most interesting part
It was in NYC.
The crime - stealing coins from clothes washers in the basement of an apartment building.
Superintendent saw the criminal run away, police picked him up in a bar a couple of hours later.

In the jury room.
A 19 year old women put on walkman headphones and pushed her chair away from the table when the discussions began. - she said she would go along with what the group said.
A woman said the guy was guilty because he looked guilty - like her son did when he got caught.
A woman said he was not guilty because she did not think he could hold the knife in his belt the way the police said - she was later shown how it could be done.
Others noticed marginal things that other people had to deal with before moving on.

The system worked because the people were basically good harted and wanted to to the right thing. I wondered how much effort it would have taken to change the verdict from guilty to not guilty.

I say go for it.

I had my daughter reply to the notice, "He is retired and living in North Carolina". :cool:

Your retired. What else do you have to do Al. ;)

I'd rather be called for JD while gainfully employed. Not as a retiree. I'm way too busy now, e.g. at this moment I'm sorting new photos of my granddaughter. This might take all morning, then check on the ice maker, then on to the beach...

Like Walt, I have minimal chances of ever actually being empaneled on a criminal jury, but I almost made it once. The defense attorney's freaked out when they found out what I did for a living and they called for a "reshuffle" of the veniremen to try and get me way down in the pack so they didn't have to waste a strike on me. I came out #1 and they had to use their last remaining shot at a reshuffle and they succeeded that time.

As we were standing out in the hallway getting moved around into our new positions some of the other [-]cattle[/-] veniremen asked the bailiff what was the deal?

One of you folks has got the defense team sweating bullets this morning.

That alone made the trip and the bad coffee worthwhile for me.The second shuffle moved me to number 30 something. The defense table was smiling by the time my end of the line walked back into the court room.

I always show up for JD, even though I know I won't make it to the final cut, and usually don't get past the cattle call in the morning. If I ever did make it on a panel I know I would be a hard sell on innocence, but I know that mistakes do sometimes happen. I'm not going to fall for some of the magic tricks that lawyers for either side like to try and fool juries with. I've already seen all the rabbits that they like to pull out of their hats.

Some people see jury duty as a pain in the butt, but all I see are real people whose futures are at stake. They deserve reasonable and attentive jurors deciding their fates. Not just the people who weren't smart enough to come up with a good excuse to get out of the process.

Al, I agree with getting it over with before it gets really inconvenient. I'd go as soon as ordered unless you'd already bought plane tickets (or unless the surf was really big).

Once you're there I'd take the law & order approach. Tell the inquisitors that you don't think a DA would waste your time with "reasonable doubt" and that you think anyone who shows up in front of a jury is probably guilty. Explain that you owned your own business, have your own home and a loving wife and a daughter, live a frugal green lifestyle, and take a very dim view of drugs, alcohol, & crime.

If that doesn't fly then tell them that you're ER'd, you love all the "CSI" shows, and you have nothing better to do all day than listen to the testimony and ask questions. Tell them you couldn't possibly make up your mind on an issue unless you'd thoroughly explored all aspects of it, with appropriate redirects and other questions. Tell them you're hoping to be elected jury foreman. If you're really lucky then someone will note of your name and make sure that you're dropped from the "random" selection.

Except for the "CSI" part, this strategy worked well for spouse & me when we were appointed to courts-martial and admin discharge boards. Her nickname was "The Terminator" and mine was "Hammer".

Of course you have to dress the part so some extent. You don't have to look like a street person but it'll help if you don't shave for a day or two and leave your Sunday-go-to-meetin' clothes at home.
Have you been paying any attention to Al's portrait photos? Those are unretouched!

Your retired. What else do you have to do Al. ;)
Bite your tongue.

A 19 year old women put on walkman headphones and pushed her chair away from the table when the discussions began. - she said she would go along with what the group said.... The system worked because the people were basically good hearted and wanted to to the right thing.
Apparently not everyone!

I wondered how much effort it would have taken to change the verdict from guilty to not guilty.
Wonder no more! Get thee to a video store, and rent 12 Angry Men.

Apparently not everyone!

Wonder no more! Get thee to a video store, and rent 12 Angry Men.

I should have added that the guy on trial would want her to participate - she did after that.

I served on one case. Domestic violence. The other one I got out of it. The one case I served on took all week. But hey that 10 $ a day was sweet spending money!! :duh:

Regarding the blasting television sets that make reading difficult/impossible: I suggest bringing along a pair of ear plugs. That's what I do when I take my car in for servicing (same stupid television in the dealer's waiting area)....

Yeah, you would think that would be the way to go; and I have noise reduction earphones now, and good earplugs. BUT, the way it works at my local courthouses is, you really have to listen for the constant announcements, in case they call your name to go to a courtroom or that you are excused or can go to lunch or take a break. A day in the jury assembly room very much resembles a day at w*rk in a low level office job.

Last time they sent me a summons, I responded, "oh no, thanks, it's been less than 12 months"; haven't heard from them since and it's coming up on another year. Guess I should watch for their return address like I await the IRS stimulus check notice. Makes little difference, their office or mine.

Yeah, you would think that would be the way to go; and I have noise reduction earphones now, and good earplugs. BUT, the way it works at my local courthouses is, you really have to listen for the constant announcements, in case they call your name to go to a courtroom or that you are excused or can go to lunch or take a break.
I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure that you check in at the start, and then sit back, read your book, and quietly mind your own business.

If you do miss an announcement, 'they' will either not worry about it or will eventually send some lackey to find you. And cultivating an image of absentmindedness is highly desireable, in the circumstances.

Don't show up at all... What do you think would happen? You didn't sign for your jury summons, so who's to say if they sent it to you or not? I personally know of several people who throw out their jury duty notices, with the rest of the junk mail...

The sheriff showed up at my rental house once looking for me. Apparently, I'd received several jury notices there, which my tenants just tossed because, duh, I didn't live there.

Seems the judges in the area got pissed that so few people were showing up, and started a dragnet to round them up.

My tenants explained that I was the owner, not an inhabitant, and the sheriff left it at that. But if I get a summons at my house you can be sure I'll answer it.

Apart from the possible consequences, I just think it's the right thing to do. Yes, it's a royal pain, yes they treat you like crap, but as they say, "freedom isn't free."

I've received jury notices by various methods. Once, a county sheriff came to the door and handed it to me directly.

Al, I agree with getting it over with before it gets really inconvenient. I'd go as soon as ordered unless you'd already bought plane tickets (or unless the surf was really big).

Once you're there I'd take the law & order approach. Tell the inquisitors that you don't think a DA would waste your time with "reasonable doubt" and that you think anyone who shows up in front of a jury is probably guilty. Explain that you owned your own business, have your own home and a loving wife and a daughter, live a frugal green lifestyle, and take a very dim view of drugs, alcohol, & crime.

If that doesn't fly then tell them that you're ER'd, you love all the "CSI" shows, and you have nothing better to do all day than listen to the testimony and ask questions. Tell them you couldn't possibly make up your mind on an issue unless you'd thoroughly explored all aspects of it, with appropriate redirects and other questions. Tell them you're hoping to be elected jury foreman. If you're really lucky then someone will note of your name and make sure that you're dropped from the "random" selection.

Bite your tongue.

Another technique that would probably work is to tell them you're a former nuke engineer on a sub. :)

If you do miss an announcement, 'they' will either not worry about it or will eventually send some lackey to find you. And cultivating an image of absentmindedness is highly desireable, in the circumstances.

Cultivate? ;)

What I don't get about this, is that when jurors' names are called to go to a courtroom, they make a stampede as if it is really important to be among the first to arrive. Huh? I would take my sweet time. A friend says it's so they can get a good seat and don't have to stand in the back. Are they interviewed in the order they arrive?

Cultivate? ;)

What I don't get about this, is that when jurors' names are called to go to a courtroom, they make a stampede as if it is really important to be among the first to arrive. Huh? I would take my sweet time. A friend says it's so they can get a good seat and don't have to stand in the back. Are they interviewed in the order they arrive?

The one time I got as far as jury selection, they 'randomized' the interviews, so we were not called in any pattern by age or name or arrival time.

What I don't get about this, is that when jurors' names are called to go to a courtroom, they make a stampede as if it is really important to be among the first to arrive. Huh? I would take my sweet time.
These would be the same people who stand up almost the instant an airliner has landed, and then wait 10 minutes for the door to open (followed by another twenty minutes in the terminal, waiting for their baggage to appear). Personally, I just stay seated and wait for the herd to depart.

Another technique that would probably work is to tell them you're a former nuke engineer on a sub. :)
Lawyers seem to go to extraordinary lengths to avoid having military veterans on juries.

Martha, other lawyers, any idea if that's really the case? Why?

I figure jury duty is a good barometer of how much you like your job. If, like me, you were excited at the possibility of jury duty, then that's a good sign that you'll be happier FIREd.

I am with Want2Retire, I'd really like to serve on a jury. I've only been called one time, and the case was plea bargined while they were interviewing us.

Don't they pay a mileage per diem for jury duty most places, along with a very nominal pay.

We get 17 cents per mile, and $15/day.

I thought it would be interesting to be called for jury duty, when I was working. I am much too busy to be called for it now that I am retired. I have lived in 3 different states, always voted and have had a drivers license since age 16 and have never been called.

Back
Top Bottom