Keyboard

B-Guy

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been looking for a replacement keyboard for my Windows workstation and have yet to find one I like. Mine is starting to show it’s age. The keyboard is no longer legible. My DW prefers one with legible keys. I still do a bit of coding to exercise my brain.

I thought some of you may have found the keyboard I'm looking for. I have a HP Pro Book that I love the feel of the keyboard, if that helps.

What I would like is a full-size keyboard, one similar to a laptop keyboard with low profile soft touch keys, backlight and if possible, and multi devise would really be a nice bonus.

If anyone out there has seen, used or are using something similar to what I'm describing please share. I have had many Logitech products, and love them, but they don’t seem to quite have what I’m looking for.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe a keyboard with the new Microsoft Copilot key?
Because AI!

I have one that looks a lot like MissMolly's but it's a Perixx periboard 317. It's wired, which I prefer, but I think many keyboards with backlighting are, as the alternative is batteries.

$20 from Amazon. I've had it 3+ years without any problems.

I'd say definitely go with a mechanical keyboard.

I like my Logitech wireless keyboard.
Although the letters have worn off a few keys and it is very dusty.
Wireless is nice imho.

I like my Logitech wireless keyboard.
Although the letters have worn off a few keys and it is very dusty.
Wireless is nice imho.

+1

I have a matching Logitech mouse too. And the batteries last forever. I haven't replaced mine yet and it's been years of use.

Yes. Mouse and touchpad too. Used the mouse for right hand and pad for left to split the load on hands and wrists when I was w*rking. You can use both together.

+1

I have a matching Logitech mouse too. And the batteries last forever. I haven't replaced mine yet and it's been years of use.

+1 I love my Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. So reliable and seamless to set up and use. Also, inexpensive and great quality.

My new laptop has a backlit keyboard, as did my previous one. I never could find a key to toggle it on or off, anyone know how to do that? The old one was a Lenova and the new one is a HP.

Also, I wanted an iPAD for travel, so I bought the new Firestick 11, but it didn't come with a keyboard. I want to use it for emails and surfing the internet, what do you recommend? Will the IPAD function as well as a laptop?

Thanks, in advance.

My new laptop has a backlit keyboard, as did my previous one. I never could find a key to toggle it on or off, anyone know how to do that? The old one was a Lenova and the new one is a HP.

Also, I wanted an iPAD for travel, so I bought the new Firestick 11, but it didn't come with a keyboard. I want to use it for emails and surfing the internet, what do you recommend? Will the IPAD function as well as a laptop?

Thanks, in advance.

Beachcomber, I am reading (Typing) this on my iPad with the Apple folding cover/ keyboard. I love this set up and it works great. I have almost stopped using my MacBook completely except for Excel heavy applications I sometimes do. I’m not sure about the Firestick, but if it has a similar cover/ keyboard, try it out.

I just found my old IBM model M keyboard from 1987. Still works, however, the right shift key is a bit sticky.

I can only describe the experience as what it feels like to type on an electric typewriter, and considering the audience here, you know what I'm talking about. The clickity clack is so nostalgic I can stand it.

My wife had a fit and did a deep clean because it was pretty gnarly. I shrugged my shoulders and said thanks.

Attachments

• 20240106_102752.jpg
    20240106_102752.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 5
If you can find the make and model of the keyboard you like...do a search on Ebay! That's what I do on my liked but not made anymore stuff.

I have a HP Pro Book that I love the feel of the keyboard, if that helps.

What I would like is a full-size keyboard, one similar to a laptop keyboard with low profile soft touch keys, backlight and if possible, and multi devise would really be a nice bonus.

If anyone out there has seen, used or are using something similar to what I'm describing please share. I have had many Logitech products, and love them, but they don’t seem to quite have what I’m looking for.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to have a mechanical keyboard but haven't found one that has a feel and quietness of my HP laptop keyboard.

With your requirement of a soft touch low profile keyboard it sounds like you want to replicate the keyboard touch/feel you have with your HP laptop, a worthy goal. This might be a difficult thing to find.

You might look into a low profile (sometimes called "slim") mechanical keyboard with Cherry or Red keys. Something like this:

https://www.keychron.com/products/k...ss-mechanical-keyboard?variant=39559178682457

This Keychron uses Gateron Red low profile quiet mechanical keys. The keyboard has programmable white backlighting (also comes with RGB backlighting, or Christmas tree mode.) The one in the link is wireless but I suppose they have a wired version as well.

The point is you can configure a keyboard with most, if not all, of the feature you want. The customizable part is the key type (Red, Blue, Brown, etc.) and the corresponding touch/feel/travel properties each key has. You might want to go into a computer store and try a Red Gateron keyboard to see if it's suitable.

I got a regular height, clicky type wired mechanical keyboard, the Keychron C2 for Christmas 2022 and I LOVE IT!! Best keyboard I've ever used and it's not an expensive one either.

Last edited:
As I mentioned before I have many Logitech keyboards and mice. I would love to get another Logitech as they are my go to. However I'm not finding exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm leaning towards a Logitech The Master Series MX Mechanical Illuminated Performance Keyboard. I typically spend 6+ hours a day behind the keyboard, so feel and durability are important for my needs.

With your requirement of a soft touch low profile keyboard it sounds like you want to replicate the keyboard touch/feel you have with your HP laptop, a worthy goal. This might be a difficult thing to find.

You might look into a low profile (sometimes called "slim") mechanical keyboard with Cherry or Red keys. Something like this:

https://www.keychron.com/products/k...ss-mechanical-keyboard?variant=39559178682457

This Keychron uses Gateron Red low profile quiet mechanical keys. The keyboard has programmable white backlighting (also comes with RGB backlighting, or Christmas tree mode.) The one in the link is wireless but I suppose they have a wired version as well.

The point is you can configure a keyboard with most, if not all, of the feature you want. The customizable part is the key type (Red, Blue, Brown, etc.) and the corresponding touch/feel/travel properties each key has. You might want to go into a computer store and try a Red Gateron keyboard to see it it's suitable.

I got a regular height, clicky type wired mechanical keyboard, the Keychron C2 for Christmas 2022 and I LOVE IT!! Best keyboard I've ever used and it's not an expensive one either.

Have you used the Keychron? It looks promising.

Last edited:
Check Newegg.
I bought an Arteck wireless keyboard. It has an onboard battery that charges with a USB cable. Lasts a good long time between charges. I bought model HW 197-3 because I like a keyboard with a 10-key pad.

I just found my old IBM model M keyboard from 1987. Still works, however, the right shift key is a bit sticky.

I can only describe the experience as what it feels like to type on an electric typewriter, and considering the audience here, you know what I'm talking about. The clickity clack is so nostalgic I can stand it.

My wife had a fit and did a deep clean because it was pretty gnarly. I shrugged my shoulders and said thanks.

If you like that and want to blow that dough, look at a das keyboard.

https://www.daskeyboard.com/daskeyboard-6-professional/

Understood. I was commenting on king over queens post re: the old ibm style keyboard. For you, I kinda like the one MissMolly mentioned.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09LH4KF5H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nope. Don't get a keyboard with oversized keys. It's not going to be the same size keys as your other computers, like your laptop, and you will constantly be fighting to type efficiently because your hands are unaccustomed to the larger size.

In fact, my wife bought that keyboard at your link and we returned it for this exact reason.

I would love to have a mechanical keyboard but haven't found one that has a feel and quietness of my HP laptop keyboard.

All a matter of preference I suppose.

I like the loud, clickity clack feel and sound.

I have two mechanical keyboards (have two desktops which I use).

My main one is an Unicomp Ultra (with buckling spring keys like the old IBMs). Another is a mechanical keyboard made in China with nice loud :) blue switches. The latter is a gaming keyboard but I use it like a normal one not for gaming, but just for typing.

Nope. Don't get a keyboard with oversized keys. It's not going to be the same size keys as your other computers, like your laptop, and you will constantly be fighting to type efficiently because your hands are unaccustomed to the larger size.

In fact, my wife bought that keyboard at your link and we returned it for this exact reason.

They are not oversized keys. They are oversized letters and numbers on ordinary sized keys.

Back
Top Bottom