King Crab Leg Time

I love all crab. I prefer stone crab cold with mustard/mayonaise sauce. King crab hot with butter.

When I was traveling regularly to NYC I would often order king crab at the Oyster Bar on 7th Ave at 54th (since closed).... they would cook it and cut ~1/3 of the shell off and put it under the broiler... all I had to do was put a fork in and pick out the meat and eat it... Yumm!

We used to go to Danny's grand seafood palace on restaurant row, they had an awesome piano bar in the back. Sadly it closed in late 2006, they had an awesome king crab leg dinner , real soup to nuts kind of thing, I used to add a steak to it. Danny's Skylight Room - - Hell's Kitchen - New York Magazine Bar Guide They were there for 20 years, i only discovered it around 2002.

Have a 17.5' Aluminum boat and took two buddies out on Thursday to Oregon Coast to crab in Tillamook Bay. Picked up 18 keepers to split. Here we get Dungeness which are extremely tasty. Have them cleaned, cooked and ready to eat three hours after catching. Munched on a crab cocktail last night.

I do love King Crab also and had the chance to go to Bobby Chin's a couple times in Chicago. The volume they do is incredible.

I truly feel for y'all who have to rely on frozen seafood. From somewhere you're not certain where it came from or the conditions it lived in. And don't bother asking the server, they either don't know or care.
Fresh seafood is the one thing I really enjoy living here near the gulf coast in Louisiana. I usually don't eat seafood out of state unless I know where it came from and if the restaurant knows how to cook (especially NOT overcook!!!!) seafood. Oh, if you're boiling a crab or other seafood until it turns bright red then IMO it's overcooked. Down here we boil for only a few minutes (4-8 depending on what it is) then let it soak a few more so it absorbs the seasoning. Done that way the meat is firm and easier to peel.
Got me hungry! I might have to eat boiled blue crabs for lunch today.

For the best and freshest, but not cheap crab legs, go to fishex.com. I send them as gifts and once you buy theirs, you won't ever get them from Costco or a supermarket. The get them straight off the boat. Again not cheap, but the best.

+1

DW's client sent her a 'basket' from FishEx a few years back; the best seafood we've had here in flyover country. Agree that it's not the cheapest, but on high days and holy days we splash out and indulge ourselves!

It's sad to see that the younger generation has missed the sheer joy of growing up with shellfish as a major part of the daily diet. Growing up on the east coast, lobster, crab, clams and shrimp were not special treats, but more in the way of today's hamburgers, pizza or subs.

HUndreds of personal stories about clamming and crabbing in the 100 Acre Cove, to feed the clan of 20 to 30 aunts, uncles, cousins and friends.... next to the ocean in the big back yard of my mom and stepdad.

DW's folks had a place on Buzzard's Bay , on Cape cod, and he hosted monthly lobster parties for the entire neighborhood... maybe 50 to 60 lobsters, along with clam chowder, fried and steamed clams and littlenecks on the half shell.

All through our young years, the "treat" was to go to Valle's Steak House, for seafood meals, with all kinds of shellfish and clam juice cocktails, topped off by a 1 1/2 lb lobster.... (extra lobster for $.75) and the entire meal at a cost of $4.95.

In college, my room mate's folks had a place at the end of Mere Point, Maine... and on date weekends, ten of us (my DW included... before we were married) would gather for a Lobster feast. Hody and I would skin dive for lobsters during the days before the party, so we'd have about 20 lobsters and crabs (along with a case of beer).

Then there were Fraternity Parties on Popham Beach with 60 or 70 guys and gals, steaming lobsters on hot rocks covered with seaweed.... partying well into the evening (and maybe the next morning). Larry, our fraternity cook, hosted the entire affair, and it was a staple for all four years of college... in May of each year.

Then, shrimp... Each year, on my way back to Rhode Island, I'd stop at the wharves in Portland Maine... when the tiny shrimp were "in"... Big wooden barrels filled with these one inch shrimp.. for sale @ $.06/lb. 25 lbs to bring back and deep fry, for a very tasty treat.

Then later, after we were married, shellfish beach parties near our home in Vineyard Haven and after that, when we moved to Falmouth MA, we lived near to DW's sis and my BIL... they lived in Grey Gables, at the end of the Cape Cod Canal. He set out lobster traps in the canal so, with an hour or two of work we'd have a dozen or so (mostly legal) lobsters for ourselves and (then) our five children.

Spoiled... to the point that we won't order or buy lobster, so as not to sully the memories of those wonderful days.

Last edited:
I truly feel for y'all who have to rely on frozen seafood. From somewhere you're not certain where it came from or the conditions it lived in. And don't bother asking the server, they either don't know or care.
Fresh seafood is the one thing I really enjoy living here near the gulf coast in Louisiana. I usually don't eat seafood out of state unless I know where it came from and if the restaurant knows how to cook (especially NOT overcook!!!!) seafood. Oh, if you're boiling a crab or other seafood until it turns bright red then IMO it's overcooked. Down here we boil for only a few minutes (4-8 depending on what it is) then let it soak a few more so it absorbs the seasoning. Done that way the meat is firm and easier to peel.
Got me hungry! I might have to eat boiled blue crabs for lunch today.
Who gets to eat king crab fresh?

Seafood and fish freeze very, very well. I'll gladly take flash frozen right after harvest over "fresh" that has been sitting around for many days.

It's great if you live on the coast, and I enjoy the local seafood - especially the fabulous gulf shrimp havested here. But I also enjoy fish and seafood from the Pacific NW and other regions.

All through our young years, the "treat" was to go to Valle's Steak House, for seafood meals, with all kinds of shellfish and clam juice cocktails, topped off by a 1 1/2 lb lobster.... (extra lobster for $.75) and the entire meal at a cost of $4.95.

When I was a kid, Valle's Steak House in Braintree was the place we went to for special occasions. I always got a lobster, usually baked and stuffed with bread crumbs and scallops.

When I got older, the place to go to impress a date was the Minot Light Inn. Right on the water with twin lobster dinner for $9.99.:dance:

My kids love seafood. But around here it's expensive. I don't think children from poor family can afford it. When I was living near Half Moon Bay, we had wild salmon practically every day. Much cheaper to get a big fish from the boat and make all sort of meals out of it.

All this crab talk made me hungry for the little crustaceans. Picked up three Dungeness at Costco seafood counter today. Some sweet corn, some sourdough bread and a few cleansing ale's. Doesn't get any better. My teeth are already sweating.:dance:

Im in the store yesterday, I go to the fresh fish aisle, and low and behold what do I see? The little wooden bucket with the seaweed sticking out of it, packed with live blue claw crabs. What shocked me more was the price hahah. It was no longer 12 for $ 3 dollars or even 12 for 30 dollars, BUT $ 9.99 a pound. When did they start a per pound price on Blue claws, it was always a certain amount per crab. Anyhow, im all crabbed out from my earlier king crab feast.

Call me strange, I actually prefer the less expensive snow crab over the king crab.
It is OK, but a PITA to crack. Like one of the other posters here, my DW gives it to me to crack.
I am waiting for a sale on Dungeness. they are pretty meaty and easier to handle IMO

A few years for our anniversary, I ordered lobsters from back East. It was fun tracking them on the FedEx website, but the shipping was a killer. We finally decided to go to a very nice restaurant by the ocean, and have them cook10 oz. lobster tails for us. It was less expensive, the view was great, and someone else cooked them.:)

We just went to The Lobster to celebrate my youngest child's graduation. There were two type of lobsters, American, I assume that's Maine Lobster, is for $39 per pound and California, I assume it's Carribean Lobster, is for $65 per pound. The frugality and LBYM in me kicked in big time. I settled for the cheaper lobster but it was so delicious. I think perhaps grilled lobster tastes the best.

In our RV trip to the Canadian Maritimes and US Northeast in 2014, we bought lobsters and had them cooked at the pound, then brought back to our RV to enjoy.

After each of us having a 2-lb lobster twice, we were good with lobster for a while. Paid something like $25 for each two-pounder.

I'm going to Canada next month for both lobster (Canadian type) and wild King Salmon. While there I might have Dungeness Crab and King Crab too. All in the planning. What can I say I'm a foodie.

Last edited:
We just went to The Lobster to celebrate my youngest child's graduation. There were two type of lobsters, American, I assume that's Maine Lobster, is for $39 per pound and California, I assume it's Carribean Lobster, is for $65 per pound. The frugality and LBYM in me kicked in big time. I settled for the cheaper lobster but it was so delicious. I think perhaps grilled lobster tastes the best.

Wow thats expensive, but I am glad you enjoyed it.

Just had a $260 lobster dinner at Mim's in St. Thomas USVI last night. Got two 3 lb lobsters - one tail stuffed with crabmeat and the other with a coconut curry sauce. Delicious! Great atmosphere right on the ocean and nice staff too. Tab included 2 drinks, a bottle of wine, 1 appetizer and 2 desserts in addition to the lobsters. Expensive but worth every penny!

From an Asian market nearby...

Attachments

• IMG_0336.JPG
    IMG_0336.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 23
Mentioned this thread to my 54 Y/O son, and he reminded me of when he was 6 or 7, and used to go crabbing with grandma.. My mom, who was in her 70's at the time would take the 17 foot rowboat out across the cove, to the bullrush area, at high tide. Son Kerry would row the boat backward, and my mom would stand on the seat in the rear, with a net, on a long pole... scooping up crabs as they scurried across the sand bar. Too many crabs for a bucket, so they'd be dropped into the bottom of the boat.. dozens and dozens...crawling over each other, and DS with feet up on the gunwales. The entire family would go down to the dock, to watch this crabby group come in with the evening meal.
This was circa 1970, when the Dept of conservation was liberal on enforcing limits on residents of 100 Acre Cove.

http://www.exploreri.org/siteReport.php?siteID=50&src=criteria

Just had a $260 lobster dinner at Mim's in St. Thomas USVI last night. Got two 3 lb lobsters - one tail stuffed with crabmeat and the other with a coconut curry sauce. Delicious! Great atmosphere right on the ocean and nice staff too. Tab included 2 drinks, a bottle of wine, 1 appetizer and 2 desserts in addition to the lobsters. Expensive but worth every penny!

That sounds like an awesome feast!

Mentioned this thread to my 54 Y/O son, and he reminded me of when he was 6 or 7, and used to go crabbing with grandma.. My mom, who was in her 70's at the time would take the 17 foot rowboat out across the cove, to the bullrush area, at high tide. Son Kerry would row the boat backward, and my mom would stand on the seat in the rear, with a net, on a long pole... scooping up crabs as they scurried across the sand bar. Too many crabs for a bucket, so they'd be dropped into the bottom of the boat.. dozens and dozens...crawling over each other, and DS with feet up on the gunwales. The entire family would go down to the dock, to watch this crabby group come in with the evening meal.
This was circa 1970, when the Dept of conservation was liberal on enforcing limits on residents of 100 Acre Cove.

Barrington River - 100 Acre Cove: Rhode Island Blueways
Love the story. I enjoyed it even more when i heard your son has fond memories of his grandmother.

Back
Top Bottom