One year in....

doneat54

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm not going to get too detailed here, but have been giving some thought about "how it's been".

I was laid off 22 days before my 55th birthday, 1 month before I was going to retire anyway, and given a pretty sweet severance bonus package after 30.5yrs in 3 megacorps. That was Jan 4th 2017.

With some real nice $$ padding, I went nuts traveling in 2017. 11 trips, 7 with our RV trailer (one 20 days long) others by plane including each almost 2 weeks in Europe and the Caribbean. Saw the total solar eclipse on a beach in SC. Although DW was with me exactly half of those nights away, it was made clear to me that was a "one-off" year and next year would be more tame.

Otherwise, as I expected, I had ZERO regrets and was not bored in the least at any time. Only downside is that I have some had health issues over the last nearly 2 years that are sapping energy from me and limiting how much I can do. The good news is that my oncologist has cleared me, I have recently, I have been a cancer survivor for 9 years. Not miserable, but very puzzling and frustrating.

So just moments ago, I created a new tab on the cash retirement pile spreadsheet called "Travel 2018" and did a "soft move" of the funds DW and I agreed upon would be allotted for travel.... minutes after texting a travel agent/family member my Amex # to book a Caribbean cruise for March. This 2018 travel budget is about 1/3 of last years and knowing us, and the couple we are traveling with in March, we will destroy the entire budget before we get home from the cruise. Point is, we love to travel, but only now will I have to meter out some $$ every year and figure out how best to spend it. We love the big vacation$, but also really enjoy "camping" with the RV in New England and that can be done very inexpensively. DW will work for another 3-4 years as planned, so her vacation time is not unlimited as is mine.

Otherwise, I had tried to hold to a routine, during the week anyway. Set my alarm every morning M-F for 9:00 an almost always got up then (never been a morning person). Weekends I would just leave open and usually DW and I would do social things, or go out to eat. Until we got this last 14" snowfall, I had been walking 2-3 miles on wooded trails 5-6 days a week with our two dogs, and lost 15 lbs. Cold and ice don't bother me (spiked boots) but I am not a snow shoer or X-coutry skier do deep snow and walking is over. Just hoping that we get some melt and the snow mobilers pack down at least a few of our favorite trails so we can walk again.

I have found that even the stuff I most like to do, I still don't want to do any one thing more than a few hours a day, but luckily the "list" of stuff to do is long. All of those things that when I was w*rking thought "yeah, right, when am I going to have time to do that?" are now perfect distractions and shift in focus... and I don't HAVE to do any of them. Huge pleasure can be found just cleaning up and organizing a cabinet or two... and getting rid of stuff.

Surely don't miss w*rk, but have to make an honest effort to stay in touch and do things with former co-workers, some of whom are really good friends. Luckily they all still like to do stuff out of work and have put up with me covering my ears when they start talking about w*rk stuff.

Best wishes to all for a great 2018, hope you can live the life you imagined as well...

Last edited:
With a work record like that, you deserve a severance bonus beyond sweet - more like colossal!

Uhh, Ok. Maybe that is why I am tired all the time:confused:?? <I'll edit...>

Well I too am a year in. We did a lot of travel (3 weeks in Europe) also. Funny you should talk of organizing and getting rid of stuff I was doing that today. My biggest thing is prioritizing what I want to do in the day. I don’t miss work either.
I’m glad I pulled the trigger on ER and it sounds like you are too.

Year in 2/1/21018 :dance:

Email yesterday asking for help training. Considering it if pay is right

2 long trips: Japan / Korea + Belgium / Amsterdam / Luxembourg

1 long trip coming up: Australia

1 planning in 2018: Budapest train to Bucharest

NW up 21% :)

I'm getting ready to announce my retirement in April (after bonuses are paid) :) and realized it will be next year before either of us can start SS, which made me a little queasy. So, since my department is in the midst of a huge project, I may offer to stick around through the fall if the $$ and conditions are right. That's fewer months we'll be pulling so much from our stash. We'll see how much they like me. I've been there 30+ years. Reading doneat54's account of life makes me even more ready to go.

Well we have a pretty long bridge to SS, including 4 or so years of out of pocket healthcare after DW retires. But they are all just line items in the spreadsheet. Nonetheless, as I am sure is the same with all, there is always some anxiety, we wouldn't be human if there weren't. But I will live in a van down by the river before I go back to corporate America.

pretty-vans-meme-in-a-van-down-by-the-river-the-steven-assanti-story-youtube-vans-meme.jpg

Yyyeeeaah, it would probably be one of those....

I am 1.5 years in. The 1st year I resolved not to spend my time organizing or doing DIY home projects. We went on a 10 week "Civil War Sites" RV trip, 2 weeks in Japan, solar eclipse, and 2 week RV trip to visit DS. I concentrated on getting exercise everyday. I either take a class or meet people for a walk 6 days a week at 9AM. I need to lose 15 lbs but am still working on the method.

2nd year, same as the 1st, adding in home repair and decluttering projects. Travel will include more RV travel, 1 week at a resort in the Northwoods, and 5 weeks in New Zealand.:dance:

Three years FIRED in February. (2) cross country trips in RV. New York City for (2) weeks. Planning a Europe trip now. We are more fly by the seat of your pants planning trips. Stay busy volunteering, exercising and doing whatever we want, when we want. Life is good.

Well I too am a year in. We did a lot of travel also. I don’t miss work either.
I’m glad I pulled the trigger on ER and it sounds like you are too.

+1. I'm 10 months in. Spent about 11 weeks travelling. More coming up this year. Let's go!

In my 9th year of retirement, I just wanted to report that it just gets better and better, or at least it has for me. I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to work for any reason. Having FUN is one of my top priorities now. :)

Approaching my 11th year of retirement. Enjoying life. Truly grateful to have been able to retire at 56. :dance:

Traveling and snowbirding kept me away from my home base for more than 8 months last year. :D

Can hardly remember any details of w*rking. :LOL:

Mega-motors contacted me twice in retirement, to see if I'd be interested in coming back. :nonono: Nope, having too much fun. :cool:

omni

FIRE'd one year ago this coming Saturday. I honestly don't know how I ever had time to work. Played a lot of golf this past year, but mostly just did whatever I felt like doing each day, which sometimes was nothing at all, or just puttering around the house. With 20 acres there's always something to do.

Haven't done any travelling yet as DW is still working and we had one daughter married off last summer and another wedding coming up this summer. We're really homebodies anyway, and enjoy sitting around the backyard campfire in the summer stargazing, making s'mores and enjoying a cold drink or two. After DW retires we do plan to take a break from winter somewhere in the south, Florida I suppose.

Absolutely no regrets about retirement at 55, especially this time of year...year-ends had become unbearable for me. I'm so happy I don't have to deal with that anymore.

Back
Top Bottom