King Crab Leg Time

Frog and turtle? Anyone here knows how to clean them? I will pass.

I dont know if they do it with the frogs and turtles,I didnt wait around to see.
But the fish are scooped out of the tank, placed on a board then WHACKED in the head with a mallet. Yeah Ill pass on this scene.

I've gigged and cleaned plenty of frogs. Very simple. Cut off the legs and pull off the skin, then throw everything else out.

My grandfather used to catch, clean and cook snapping turtles, but those skills were beyond me by the time I left frog and turtle country.

Mostly in South frog legs are floured and fried. In New York, I learned to love French style sauteed frog legs.

Ha

Last edited:

They are still alive. No killing from me. I only indirectly kill lobsters and crabs through boiling. Now killing grasshoppers is a different story.

But seriously, I've had frog legs in Canada. I shall give them a pass. Never had turtle, but I too shall give them a pass. I'll just stick to lobsters and crabs. Much tastier.

Well I know how Not to clean a turtle! Learned turtle anatomy that day😁.

It's not hard, after the turtle is dispatched simply crack his side open. The meat is mainly in the leg, neck , and tail. Organ meat is also usable. IIRC there's seven different types of meat on turtle.

Many turtle soup recipes call for boiling the turtle whole and after an hour or so dismantling the beast. I don't like the notion of cooking with intestinal marinade.

Last edited:
10 lbs colossal legs ordered, be here Friday. Gonna be a King Crab 4th of July!

I love frog legs too both deep fried;

32954371454_ef3306cd19_z.jpg

And sauteed;

33702624922_7442443513_z.jpg

We are gonna enjoy a lot of crab - :)

Love king crab, but I'm not a fan of frog legs. I've had them before, and they do taste kind of like chicken, as I was told before trying them. But they gross me out a bit. I'd rather just eat chicken. Cheaper and similar taste, without the icky factor. YMMV

I read somewhere that frogs are ok to eat but some toads can be poisonous. So I avoid them both.

Crab arrived yesterday;

35527727441_c42ca290b9_z.jpg

First meal will be enjoyed tonight;

35270825930_8dfaf5aa7a_z.jpg

Looking forward to my first sample "straight from the source"

Worth $40/lb. Wonderful. Zero "off taste" even in the meaty body sections. Very little of the "white pasty yutz" anywhere. Rich crab flavor, tender and meat cracked out of leg section whole with just a nick and a snap.

I put 3 lbs on the barbee to just warm them up and the hot coals give that wonderful "shell flavor" to the meat. We had crab and asparagus dipped in melted butter and had just enough bits for the dogs to have a taste over their grunches.

I have been lucky to get crab this good at the grocery for $20/lb, but I really feel "lucky" when I do as it's not a regular event.

Glad it was so good. Will keep this in mind for our next "splurge" dinner at home.

They had a 5 day opening in our local area after a 6 year closing:

9637-albums164-picture1500.jpg

We also got several Tanner Crabs.

Back
Top Bottom