Know anyone that had to 'un-retire'?

No. Most I know never retired.

I think there are many shades of grey in the stages of 'retirement'. I know of several folks who have retired from an engineering or manufacturing career, and are now working part time at Lowes or the local hardware store. Not because they need the money, but because they enjoy some aspect of the job. And, because it generates a bit of 'mad money'.

I think there is a big distinction between working a post-retirement job because you enjoy it and working a post-retirement job because you need the money.

I think there is a big distinction between working a post-retirement job because you enjoy it and working a post-retirement job because you need the money.

Exactly. I stumbled into a low-stress, relatively high-paying, and close by (3.4 miles) job post-retirement that I stayed in for about five years. The people were decent, I could get time off when needed, and the hours suited me. But when conditions went south I had the freedom to quit, and did.

Many of the others there were also retired from previous careers and did not have that option because they were saddled with too much debt.

I am working p.t. by choice teaching an online class at the university which I love. I knew a few people also (not very well) that retired in 40's from professional careers and were sorry in their 60's because they have to penny pinch so hard. No clue if they tried to go back to work at some point.

Exactly. I stumbled into a low-stress, relatively high-paying, and close by (3.4 miles) job post-retirement that I stayed in for about five years. The people were decent, I could get time off when needed, and the hours suited me. But when conditions went south I had the freedom to quit, and did.

Many of the others there were also retired from previous careers and did not have that option because they were saddled with too much debt.
I un-retired after 9 months or so. First there was an independent, part-time thing from home, then a great offer for full time - 18.5 mile drive, though.

I had to take it, as the cash flow and money saved will fund necessary things. Spouse is younger, so that had additional bearing on things.

DH retired from his career at 57 (mandatory age). While we don't need the money, he continues to do contract work when available. Sometimes he works 40 hrs/week, other times he has no work. He's happier when he has something to do, and hasn't found any hobbies to keep him busy. So he works.

I had a summer job as a whitewater rafting guide; not for the money but for the fun. I'll do it again next summer.

One of my friends sold an almost paid off house and then built a new one that ended up costing far too much. He was planning on retiring this past spring (with a reduced pension), but can't afford to do so because of the new larger mortgage. Had he remained in the old house he'd be retired today.

Slightly askew of the topic: about 20 years ago a colleague (single/childless) at my work place celebrated her 55th birthday at lunch with some of her friends. I ran into her as she returned, having stopped at the HR office first. She said, "Now that I am 55, I thought I should sign up for the 401(k) and start saving for retirement." Our employer was providing a 100% match up to 8% of our contributed salary at that time. I sometimes wonder if she ever retired, much less retired/returned to work.

I knew several. Most took the lump sum benefit instead of the pension annuity. When 2000 and 2007/2008 hit their investments tanked and they had no long term income stream available. They went back to working in the coal mines again.

I know one who after retired spent $40,000 redoing their kitchen. One spent a year traveling the US with his DW on a motorcycle. Another bought some rentals, had a fire, had a roof replacement, and a lengthy eviction. YMMV.

Curt Shilling, twice. The first time he blew through $50 million on a video game start-up that failed. Most recently, he was fired for making comments similar in nature to a presidential candidate.

A co-worker returned to work after his business faiiled.

A colleague of mine retired, then came back about 18 months later in a contracting position. Her mother needed long term medical care and had not planned as well. So she worked in a low stress role for about 2 years to bridge the gap without impacting her own plans too much.

I have a couple friends who have had trouble staying retired... not for money... just they want to keep working.

One is someone who I volunteer with on a community effort. He is a retired military officer who went on to become a city councilman, then ran the bus/light rail system, and now serves on the regional transportation and governments board. He keeps saying he's done - but he can't give up working in public service.

I have a had a bit of trouble with the wanting to work just a bit. (and appreciating the extra $$).

Right now I work two days a week at a job-skills training program. Several times a month, DH suggests I quit because he enjoys staying home 7 days a week so much.

As long as it is rewarding and I can remember how to do it, I hope to stay with it. But, that desire could change. Being fully retired was fun.

I take off for trips whenever I ask. When/if I get "turned down" for time off, I'd definitely give my notice. For years I had to work; it is nice to know that I can work without needing to.

I don't know anyone who had to return to work due to finances. Most of my friends and family who retired did so with nice pensions. My dad retired with a military pension, then became a cop and collected a civil service pension. Brother did the navy for 25 years, than got a job with the post office.

I have a p/t job but that's because I like what I'm doing and have absolutely no responsibility. lol

I know a guy who did it twice. First time he "retired" and was going to make easy money flipping houses to pay for it. Of course that flopped and he came back to work. then a couple years later, he "retired" again, this time planning to day trade his way to easy street. That lasted less than 6 months. He's still working. I wonder what kinds of debts he has to pay off for these two disastrous attempts.

I know two different people who had different kinds of retirements than they expected because of the crash of 2008. In both cases, they had overestimated their risk tolerance and sold everything at the bottom. One was about 60 and the other was about 50. Both had to downgrade their retirement plans due to the unexpected losses although both have stayed retired.

I think there are many shades of grey in the stages of 'retirement'. I know of several folks who have retired from an engineering or manufacturing career, and are now working part time at Lowes or the local hardware store. Not because they need the money, but because they enjoy some aspect of the job. And, because it generates a bit of 'mad money'.

If one found a job he/she enjoyed and it had decent "freebies": meals, health insurance, defined benefit pension after a few years, discounts on purchases, etc....it might be a sweet deal.

Or if you were driving your wife crazy being home all the time.....

My ER failed because I failed to plan. Let me explain; I became FI when I hit 20 in the military. DW hit 20 2 months after me. In the private sector in Jan of 2015 the BS bucket overfilled and I had a chance to jump out of a contract. Great right? Wrong! FI? Yes, but what to do all day. DW was confused that I wasn't working. Why would I stop working when her 76 yr old father was still running his own company. Retire? Why she said? 8 months into that trial run ER I went back to work. Great job and awesome salary. For 14 month now we have been having some fantastic conversations about retirement. With DW's 45th birthday just around the corner she is finally warming up to the idea. She rates her second COLA pension in 5.5 years so that is looking like the real RE date. So I guess mine was a mental ER failure and not a financial failure.

Last edited:
Yes. Also many people follow their real passion. "Retired" buddies work at publishing, choir director, vintner, evangelist and, of course, golfing and tennis. Some of the golfers work on the course in return for free rounds. There are even some that blog and get ad revenue. And perform tech advice roles for credits. But none get up and go to work.

Thank Heavens I haven't had to go back to work. The mental/emotional/spiritual space I can now inhabit is priceless. I wake up each morning and, simply, enjoy my first cup of coffee. Personally, I know few people who are free this way. Most of my retired friends are doing "something" for money....

I failed at un- retiring. The plan was to work short contracts after a year. A year went by and I started looking and landed a contract back at mega Corp. I lasted 4 days till I gave my two week notice. I've not looked for more w*rk since, and have turned down any offers.
The taste of freedoms been to sweet to give up.

An older colleague of mine at the last corp I w*rked at retired at age 70. He was ~very~ financially secure, multiple homes, nice cars, mucho $$ in investments.

He returned to the office a few years later on a contract basis, and continued in that gig even after I retired (early of course).

I asked him frequently why he bothered to return to work, etc, and the fact that he should travel, party, etc.

He said after retiring he was tired of hanging around the house / cabin and pulling weeds. He completed all his hobbies (whatever that means), and was just bored. As his occupation required him to travel globally, he said the last thing he wanted was to climb on another airplane.

He's now 81 and still in the office. I guess he didn't plan for his time in "retirement". A lesson I frequently remind myself, when I'm pulling weeds.

_B

I dunno. I guess some people really do love their jobs and prefer to be in the office rather than at home.

I don't suffer from this and look forward to my hobbies - :)

Back
Top Bottom