L.L.Bean (finally) Truncates its Guarantee

I agree with posters who say that if they remove the lifetime guarantee, they need to reduce their prices.
That makes no sense; they made clear that they're still going to offer the same level of quality service as they've always intended to offer, considered on a case-by-case basis. The change in policy simply precludes abuse.

Could we try owning our opinions here? My comment does not make sense to YOU. Case by case is not acceptable to me value-wise because different products and items on a product may have different times to failure and the sole decider of the refund is LL Bean. While it is possible that after one year I might still have gotten a full refund on the coat, I might have gotten a paltry or zero amount. Given the downside risk, I might not purchase at LL Bean in the first place unless the prices were lower vis a vis other options.

I agree abuses can occur with a lifetime guarantee. But in my case, I might have used the zipper on the old coat 720 times (2 times 120 days x 3 years.) I think a zipper should have more life than that, it is critical to the coat being of use, and given the zipper and the coat's construction, it can't be replaced by a tailor (I looked into that.)

Your case may be an anomaly. I would want to assess how they treat customers overall.

The LL Bean announcement highlights examples of abuse by people who were not original owners (one report here)
The outdoor specialty retailer said returns of items that have been destroyed or rendered useless, including some purchased at thrift stores or retrieved from trash bins, have doubled in the past five years, surpassing the annual revenue from the company’s famous boot
LL Bean actually made two changes to the return policy. One is to require proof of purchase, the other is to put a limit of one year for returns. If the problem was mostly abuse carried out with rescued items, as they announced, just requesting proof of purchase would curtail the abuse. The change from lifetime guarantee to one year has quality implications and is a significant change in the implied contract with the customer.

OHJosh makes a valid point. The products they sold were intended to last a lifetime. At least that is what they promised and also what buyers expected. That is no longer the case. To say "case by case" is a meaningless statement in the context of a discussion on guarantee.

Lost in this announcement and discussion - they also ended their "free shipping", replaced with a $50 minimum purchase to qualify. Like any business, they are free to price as they see fit. I share the opinion of others, this is a sign that the "institution of LLBean" is being replaced by "just another clothes seller" and they will need to make other changes in their marketing and product lines to stay relevant.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom