laptop or something else

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been traveling quite a bit lately and have to carry a laptop for my part time job. I also carry my personal laptop. I would like to find something that would be smaller and would cover my basic requirements. checking my accounts, email, reading this site, local paper. maybe something like surface. I noticed reading this site that a lot of you use tablets. do you have recommendations on brands, operating systems, models? thanks

frank

I have a Kindle Fire and it works well for many of those functions. The downsides to me are that I dislike typing on its virtual keyboard and I'm not keen on the limitations on Android that Amazon has built into it so I couldn't recommend it.

There was a thread on Chromebooks earlier this year with opinions on that option. I'd intended to get a tablet and still may but the Chromebook is a nice halfway option and not too expensive. Very light, about the weight of iPad 1.

I have an iPad and love it, it will do everything described in the OP. I use it far more than our desktop PC or our laptop now.

Microsoft's Surface (Pro) has it's appeal, but I wonder if they will ever reach critical mass as they were very late to the game - so far that's not clear.

Android tablets seem to have gained traction too, but I have very little experience with them...maybe someone else could comment there.

It seems tablets have all but killed off the netbook niche. Here's one of many articles The Netbook is Dead. The iPad Killed It - Businessweek, but I assume netbooks will retain some niche.

Last edited:
they are coming out with a new surface with the attachable keyboard. anyone know anything about them?

Your choice of hardware should be dictated by the software you want to use. If you want to run Windows programs, get a Surface Pro, otherwise one of the other tablets may be an option.

There was a thread on Chromebooks earlier this year with opinions on that option. I'd intended to get a tablet and still may but the Chromebook is a nice halfway option and not too expensive. Very light, about the weight of iPad 1.

I have an iPad 1 and a cheap Acer Chromebook, used solely for financial transactions. I was going to get another new iPad, but now I think I am just going to get a Samsung chromebook with the strong battery. They seem so much quicker downloading Internet, plus I won't have to deal with fingerprint smudges and being kicked out of a site, which annoys me. They have these neat little stands now that swing over the couch or chair, and I will just lay it on the. I already just bought a 7 inch table for travel.

I have an iPad mini that I just love. I chose that over a regular iPad because of the size and weight difference. I tried my son's iPad for about 20 minutes and found that it got to be very heavy and I needed 2 hands or a lap or table. The mini is much easier to hold with one hand and I love the view size.

I thought I would dislike the keyboard but I got used to it very quickly.

I have an iPad 1 which I use almost exclusively (have a laptop too) and it works well for all those things you mentioned. The keyboard might take some getting used to, if it's not the kind of thing you're accustomed to.

I have an ipad (the third version) and have a Logitech cover which converts to a keyboard. This works great for web surfing, reading Kindle books and stuff like that.

However, it really depends on what software you want to use. I find that the iPad doesn't let me do two things that I want to do. First, I sometimes need to read redlined Word documents and it doesn't work for that. (There may be apps you can buy to work around that but I don't want to have to buy them). Second, I can't play World of Warcraft on my iPad.

I am now looking at convertible notebooks (Windows 8) that enable you to have a small light notebook that can convert to a tablet. Right now, a lot of manufacturers are coming out with new ones so the options will be better in a month or two.

The Dell XPS 12 is nice. Also the Lenovo Yoga Pad 2 (announced but not on sale yet) looks very nice.

I have the latest version of iPad that I travel with. I use it mainly to text, email, browse the web, some work with pages and numbers. It's all I need

I like my Kindle Fire HD for travel. Would like a keyboard but once you add that it starts getting to be laptop size so I live with the swype keyboard. I don't like how Amazon limits the platform but haven't found too many limitations. I found a utility that can convert google play apps not otherwise found on Amazon into an app that can be run on the kindle.

I have a surface pro and it is perfect for me. Mostly because I have some Windows software I wanted to have on the go, and It is pretty much a duplicate of my desktop in a tiny little package. The stylus is also great. Writes like a fine tip pen, not the clumsy capacitive "fingertip" handwriting that my iPad has.

I only wish I had waited for the Surface 2 to come out.

SIS

I use my iPad with Logitech keyboard almost exclusively at home, and exclusively when I travel. I even have the HDMI adapter so that I can watch programs, movies, etc on TV's in hotels and houses that we rent.

I have been traveling quite a bit lately and have to carry a laptop for my part time job. I also carry my personal laptop. I would like to find something that would be smaller and would cover my basic requirements. checking my accounts, email, reading this site, local paper. maybe something like surface. I noticed reading this site that a lot of you use tablets. do you have recommendations on brands, operating systems, models? thanks

frank

I'm reading this on a nexus 7 at Starbucks. Costs $229. Only weighs 0.7 lbs.

My prime device is a 10" Nexus. Bought it just before going to AUS/NZ earlier this year, and it has served me very well.

I have access to several other notebooks, but have pretty much given them up. The old 17" HP notebook is on top of the TV cabinet, and serves up Netflix and other items to the TV.

We always used a laptop/notebook until we decided to travel for nine months.

We decide to buy an ipad. After 12 months of use I can say that we will never buy another laptop. Next purchase will be another ipad or ipad look a like. Why...weight, space, convenience, charge time....you name it.

I was reluctant. DW was insistent. She was oh so right. The reason that we need another is that I just about have to pry it our of her clenched hands whenever I need it. Yes is was more expensive...but worth it IMHO.

You dan't beat an ipad IMO. Wait a few weeks snd a brand new one is about to hit the mstket.

You dan't beat an ipad IMO. Wait a few weeks snd a brand new one is about to hit the mstket.

I love my iPad and use it a lot. But, for many people it can't be a complete substitute for a laptop. If you want to use software that doesn't run on an iPad then you can beat an iPad.

they are coming out with a new surface with the attachable keyboard. anyone know anything about them?
I read a few articles yesterday about the surface 2 tablet from MS. It appears to be a better device hands-down. The number and types of devices like keyboard which can be purchased separately are also impressive.

Where it lacks, at least for now, is in the number of apps. And I think there is some caution in the market about MS, and this product line just failing.

The keyboard thing (do you need one or not) really seems to be a prime mover from here forward. I came to that conclusion when the idea of getting one for F-I-L arose. I think that if the keyboard integrates well, then he might be able to use it.

There also are very nice netbooks and lighter notebooks at this time. Since this field of devices is wide open at this time, I'd focus on the key functions you need, rather than what others have/prefer.

I switched from a laptop to a Samsung 7 tablet last year for about $169. It got rid of several pounds of bulk. I can easily check email and surf the web. It's a much better e-reader than the laptop and syncs well with my Amazon account. I have never accessed financial accounts when traveling due to security concerns. I can live a few weeks without checking my balances. What I gave up is the ability to use a full function Excel and typing ease.. There is a simple spread sheet on the Samsung but it has limited funtionality. I type simple emails and I wouldn't waste my time trying to make posts here. You are all fine with me disappearing for a few weeks and some would probably prefer it to be permanent.

I switched from a laptop to a Samsung 7 tablet last year for about $169. It got rid of several pounds of bulk. I can easily check email and surf the web. It's a much better e-reader than the laptop and syncs well with my Amazon account. I have never accessed financial accounts when traveling due to security concerns. I can live a few weeks without checking my balances. What I gave up is the ability to use a full function Excel and typing ease.. There is a simple spread sheet on the Samsung but it has limited funtionality. I type simple emails and I wouldn't waste my time trying to make posts here. You are all fine with me disappearing for a few weeks and some would probably prefer it to be permanent.

:LOL: I doubt I would be missed either.

Good info and price on the Samsung. I plan to do some traveling in the future and have thought about converting to an Iphone or something similar so I could use it for internet too. But I'm old school and like using my old flip phone and don't think the display would be to my liking on the iphones anyway. A Samsung 7 or something similar would be a good solution for me, especially for the price. I do like my laptop for home use.

Back
Top Bottom