Last chance for you to save my Lovage plant

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW can't buy the nice plants at a plant sale. Instead she sees that $4 box in the corner marked "remnants" or "junk". So she bought it home and we used most of the plants. One that has really taken off has been identified as Lovage.

Lovage is in the celery family. Stalks are tough. It is an herb. Apparently, it was real popular in the middle ages. We have tried to find uses for it. My browser found you could use it anywhere you use celery. Or you could do magic things with the seeds. None of which appealed to me.

I am looking for someone to tell me something great they have done with this old-time herb. If not, it is history. Please save this plant.

Never heard of it, so I had to look it up. Looks like almost all parts of the plant can be used in cooking or baking. Such as in soups, stews, breads, etc.

The big question is do you like the flavor of it? If not, then pull it up.

I use lovage in place of celery for stocks and stews a lot. For recipes that call for chinese celery I think it is a better substitute than normal celery because it has a stronger flavor

For a quick soup I'll use just the leaves or thinner stems. If I'm doing a big batch of stock that simmers for a long time I'll put the thicker stems in and simmer them for a long time and then strain the stock to remove the vegetable chunks.

Back
Top Bottom