LG 65 OLED TV at Costco

FYI, if there's a Video Only near you it might be worth a trip. Heard a radio ad offering Black Friday pricing this weekend and figured I'd go take a look. Picked up the LG 77", 5 year warranty, wall mount, and free same-day delivery for a penny under $3K.

Thanks. Closest is 2 hour drive away. I called and they told me they'd knock $100 off for my gas cost. Anyone know what Costco price matching is?

BTW, SAM's Club is listing the 77" for the same price as Costco plus a $100 gift card and a $100 bluetooth stereo speaker that can be used with the TV for back speakers for surround sound. Their return policy is as good as Costco, but their warranty I don't think is as generous. They give 2% on membership credit, but not on using their credit card.

I have a membership at both Sam’s Club and Costco. Sam’s never offers the five year warranty in the price which has always made Costco the better buy. If you don’t care about the warranty then the $100 Sam’s gift card may be a better choice for you. Costco also offers a $100 Hulu credit if you have any interest in that. And the Bluetooth speaker promotion is through LG, not the retailer. I just got mine yesterday from LG. It’s really a very mediocre Bluetooth speaker worth about $50. I have no use for it.

Thanks. Closest is 2 hour drive away. I called and they told me they'd knock $100 off for my gas cost. Anyone know what Costco price matching is?

Costco does not price match. They will give you a refund if Costco lowers the price within 30 days, but not if you find it cheaper at a competitor. I don’t know how Video Only can offer it for so much less than Costco. We don’t have any those stores around here so I have no experience with them.

I'm trying to talk myself into upgrading our main TV from a 55" LCD to a 65" OLED. It's confusing knowing you can buy a 65" UHD TV for anywhere from $250 to $2500+. Though I can see a difference in the picture quality when they're side by side in a perfectly lit store with carefully chosen content, I wonder if (older vision challenged) buyers can really see any difference once you get whichever TV you choose at home (with no direct comparison) - unless you consume a lot of content requiring better specs (e.g. faster refresh for sports, etc.).
OLED is very different technology than LED TVs. OLED panels have infinite contrast ratios so blacks are perfectly black. If you are a movie/video buff, and you can enjoy your TV in a darkened room, then OLED is hands down the way to go. Particularly since the price gap is now so narrow between the best TVs in each category. There is a small chance of screen burn-in with OLED panels which is not a risk with LED TVs. However, Rtings.com ran some long term scenarios and concluded that burn-in for the average user is not a concern as long as you're not constantly watching something with static images.

LED panels are brighter and good ones can still be had for less than the cost of an OLED TV, so if you mostly watch video or streaming content in a room with windows and sunlight, then your best bet is probably one of the better (brighter) LED TVs. FWIW I have not made up my mind yet. A really good Samsung QLED is about 1/3 less than the LG OLED. Luckily enough for me, I'm in no hurry and TVs seem to get cheaper all of the time :)

Quick question on TV set, do they have Bluetooth that I can connect to my AirPods so that I won’t wake up the whole house?

Quick question on TV set, do they have Bluetooth that I can connect to my AirPods so that I won’t wake up the whole house?

I use Bluetooth off my LG (non-OLED) TV for a keyboard with touch pad. One of the apps on the TV is a web browser. This turns my TV into a large computer that I can do any browser function such as check my emails, read forums like this one, display photos, etc.
I also use Bluetooth off the TV to connect to my Bluetooth headphones. It is a unique headset that not only receives the TV's audio, it can then "share" that audio to a second set of headphones so two people can watch the TV through headphones. DW and I use these headphones to share music together while on walks is another example they are good for. Here's a link to them;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0152GBS66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OLED is very different technology than LED TVs. OLED panels have infinite contrast ratios so blacks are perfectly black. If you are a movie/video buff, and you can enjoy your TV in a darkened room, then OLED is hands down the way to go. Particularly since the price gap is now so narrow between the best TVs in each category. There is a small chance of screen burn-in with OLED panels which is not a risk with LED TVs. However, Rtings.com ran some long term scenarios and concluded that burn-in for the average user is not a concern as long as you're not constantly watching something with static images.

LED panels are brighter and good ones can still be had for less than the cost of an OLED TV, so if you mostly watch video or streaming content in a room with windows and sunlight, then your best bet is probably one of the better (brighter) LED TVs. FWIW I have not made up my mind yet. A really good Samsung QLED is about 1/3 less than the LG OLED. Luckily enough for me, I'm in no hurry and TVs seem to get cheaper all of the time :)
I’m aware of the differences, but I still contend most people would have a tough time actually seeing the difference once you get whatever you choose home, with ordinary quality content nothing to compare to.

And you must realize QLED is a tweak of LCD, not equivalent to OLED....

I’m aware of the differences, but I still contend most people would have a tough time actually seeing the difference once you get whatever you choose home, with ordinary quality content nothing to compare to.

And you realize QLED is a tweak of LCD, not equivalent to OLED....

I would not agree. My brother has OLED. When I go to his house and watch programming I've seen on my TV, I can see the difference. An example is the TV show Survivor. Lots of outdoor tropical scenes with lots of shadow and light as the video moves under the tree canopy or the camera shoots from full sun to something in the shadows is rather startling on his set compared to mine.
I liken the difference as similar to the audio quality of a good sound system compared to an average one. A trained ear hears the difference without a side-by-side comparison. Untrained may hear the difference side-by-side but standing alone, may not realize what is missing. But there's a reason for hi fidelity in audio as there is in video. The more sophisticated the audience is, the more the quality is appreciated.
However, he had to walk away from one of his OLED TV's. The 55" set his wife had in her art studio at home fell victim to the infamous 'Burn-In'. She had the TV on some news station that had a banner at the bottom of the screen with fixed red areas. Now that shows up on what ever the TV has playing.

Last edited:
I own the 77" OLED. Is it a great TV? Sure it is. However, for the price, I would expect the panel uniformity to be very good and quite frankly it isn't. On top of that, with OLEDs you have to worry about burn in. So now, whenever my wife watches CNN for more than 20 minutes, I ask her to change the channel.

If LG offered a No burn in guarantee like Samsung, then the OLED would be a no brainer IMHO. Does anyone know if the costco warranty covers burn in?

I own the 77" OLED. Is it a great TV? Sure it is. However, for the price, I would expect the panel uniformity to be very good and quite frankly it isn't. On top of that, with OLEDs you have to worry about burn in. So now, whenever my wife watches CNN for more than 20 minutes, I ask her to change the channel.

If LG offered a No burn in guarantee like Samsung, then the OLED would be a no brainer IMHO. Does anyone know if the costco warranty covers burn in?
Costco doesn't confirm the reason for return if it's within their warranty. At least they didn't on other items I've returned. I returned one TV that had an intermittent wireless wifi issue; it would cut out after about an hour. Watching wifi smart apps like Disney+, the TV would loose the ability to even find the wifi source until the turned the set off for an hour. Seemed to be heat related; after running for a while, something in the set got hot and the wifi would fail. I called my local Costco who told me to it back. Here's how they worked the return; They did not try to confirm the problem. They said they are not able to confirm any reason for any product claimed to no meet it's design claim.
Offered me full cash value of the most similar TV they had in stock. The original TV model was no longer available. (Most TV's update models every year, hence the LG OLED this year is CX. Last year was C9, the year before C8 and so on) Or take the newer model of the same brand if in stock. If I took the cash value, they offered to put it on a debit card for store credit or hand me over actual cash in US currency.
They did this for a mattress I returned as well. 15 year warranty, on year 7 it developed a divot where I laid. This was a memory foam mattress. I didn't even need the receipt. They were able to go back over the years and find my purchase on their computer. Saw I paid around $500 for the mattress on sale. The closest they had in stock was a $700 mattress. I was offered the $700 mattress in exchange or cash.
I've also exercised the return policy on a car battery. It would not hold a charge. Costco doesn't test batteries, just gave me cash back. I was then able to repurchase the battery at today's cost, but this also set the warranty time back to zero. In this case it was 3 years 100%, prorated after that. Because the battery/tire department has it's own pay point, the customer service didn't offer me an exchange, just the refund and opportunity to walk over to their battery/tire department and purchase another if I chose.

Last edited:

The Square Trade policy that Costco sells does not cover burn in. Newer OLED sets are less likely to suffer from burn in than earlier models. It’s rare that I hear someone say their set suffered from burn in. Most likely you will retire this set long before anything is wrong with it because newer technologies will eventually make the set obsolete.

And you must realize QLED is a tweak of LCD, not equivalent to OLED....

I held off on buying an OLED for many years because I was also skeptical that the difference was noticeable enough to justify the much higher prices. But now that I own two OLED sets I firmly believe that the difference is substantial, even when watching broadcast TV shows. The picture just looks much richer and sharper than my Samsung LED TV.

But prices have come down significantly on LG OLED TVs. When the 65” LG CX was first introduced earlier this year Costco sold it for $2,449. Now it sells for $1,849. At $2,449 I would have a hard time justifying it. But at $1,849 it’s not that much more expensive than comparably featured LED sets from Samsung or other high quality manufacturers.

It's my understanding burn in is an issue with extended watching where there are static areas or logos. We plan to use this TV for movies and some sports. Not extended news. This is a concern and thanks for bringing it up. The TV in our living room runs many hours on news channels during the day. The new OLED is for movies and night time entertainment in a dark den with very little light from outdoors.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

It's time to get serious about the best entertainment set up. We found this deal at Costco...for $1850. I want to explore old movies and want the best picture. This TV has individual pixel lighting so the detail is perfect. As opposed to one background light for the whole picture. Does this make sense? Are we wasting our money?

https://www.costco.com/lg-65"-class...n-plan-bundle-included.product.100657326.html
We bought a LG OLED 4k 65 inch tv 2 or 3 years ago (likewise from Costo, but online and delivered). We paid about $2,500 on sale, to give you an indication as to how prices have dropped. The model # is OLED65B8PUA. Right after we bought, it a newer model became available that was touted to have a better graphics processor.

We have had zero issues with it and the picture is fantastic (has 1908 hours on it per the TV's stats). Noticed no degregation over time. It has a feature that at some predetermined time the picture will adjust itself for normal degregation to minimize the picture fade. We have been quite pleased with it.

LG uses a proprietary operating system and not android, so that does limit you in some things you can do (you can't side load open source video players like Kodi).

One thing that was not mentioned so far is that at least with our older model LG OLED tv is when watching a real movie, one with 24-36 frames per second) (or one converted to video) is when the camera pans (moves from right to left/left to right), the resultant movement of the image is very jerky (I forget the technical term for this). It is a characteristic of OLED technology. When we got the LG TV, it was quite noticeable and annoying. We must have gotten somewhat used to it, as I don't notice it as much. The new LG models may not display this jerkiness, but I don't know, just something to look into.

8k resolution TVs are available now. I wonder if their prices are approaching reasonable levels.

Last edited:

We use an Apple TV box for streaming with our LG 4K setup which also controls the stereo system. With Apple TV you can connect any headphones via Bluetooth. We use it a lot that way.

It also means we’re free of whatever OS LG uses.

If you are on the fence about buying an OLED TV because of the high price, take a look at Vizio’s new OLED models. They come in either 55” or 65” sizes and they are on sale at Best Buy for $899 and $1,499. LG still produces the panels while Vizio provides the processor, speakers and cabinet for it.

https://www.gamesradar.com/save-up-to-dollar500-on-a-4k-vizio-oled-tv-with-a-120hz-display/

Wow even frugal me might have to look at those.
Still on a 37" Toshiba LCD that's only 720P.

If you are on the fence about buying an OLED TV because of the high price, take a look at Vizio’s new OLED models. They come in either 55” or 65” sizes and they are on sale at Best Buy for $899 and $1,499. LG still produces the panels while Vizio provides the processor, speakers and cabinet for it.

https://www.gamesradar.com/save-up-to-dollar500-on-a-4k-vizio-oled-tv-with-a-120hz-display/

It only comes up with $200 off, not $500 on the 65" for me when I follow the link and log in to Best Buy. $1,7999 down from $1,999.

It only comes up with $200 off, not $500 on the 65" for me when I follow the link and log in to Best Buy. $1,7999 down from $1,999.

It’s a “hidden” sale where you only get that price if you create a My Best Buy account first, but there is no charge to create the account. See the article I linked for details.

It will go into the bed room and the Plasma 65" I have there will be a Christmas present for one of my sons. (yea, I'm THAT cheap. Plus it offsets the cost of my new OLED. )

I had that same idea for the TV in my media room in basement. I offered the old one to my son (granted, the old one is "only" a 53 inch Samsung LCD as i recall).

He said, Dad, my roommates and I have TV's bigger than that.

Our kids certainly live better than we do in some respects.

This was a few years ago, but i still have not upgraded. Maybe this will be the year.

Last edited:

It’s a “hidden” sale where you only get that price if you create a My Best Buy account first, but there is no charge to create the account. See the article I linked for details.

I understand. That's why I said I followed the link and LOG IN to Best Buy.
When I don't log in, the price is $1,999. When I do log in the price is $1,799. Maybe it's a regional thing? Has anyone else been able to log in and get the price promised of $1,499?

If you don't care about black levels for darker room viewing, sure. OLED is simply an overall better picture than any LED, backed up by independent ratings. I think a lot of folks that say this have never owned an OLED.

The best pics have been, over time: Quality CRT->quality plasma->OLED. And it's noticeable to me across generations.

Last edited:
We have a 55" LG OLED and a 65" Sony OLED. The colors are excellent on both - especially outdoor shows like nature or football games. Right now I'm watching I Dream of Jeannie. She's looking good on my OLED.

Back
Top Bottom