LG 65 OLED TV at Costco

Rianne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It's time to get serious about the best entertainment set up. We found this deal at Costco...for $1850. I want to explore old movies and want the best picture. This TV has individual pixel lighting so the detail is perfect. As opposed to one background light for the whole picture. Does this make sense? Are we wasting our money?

https://www.costco.com/lg-65"-class...n-plan-bundle-included.product.100657326.html

I'm holding out that the 77" will come down below $3,000 before I pull the plug and get an OLED. I'm currently viewing on a 75" (not OLED BTW) I bought in November of 2016 and every time I watch it, I'm amazed at the color, clarity and quality. I only paid around $800 back then and it was one of, if not the cheapest at the time. It will go into the bed room and the Plasma 65" I have there will be a Christmas present for one of my sons. (yea, I'm THAT cheap. Plus it offsets the cost of my new OLED. )

Last edited:
We've had a 65" 4K OLED by LG for almost 2 year now, and we love it!

If you are going to use something a lot for many years, why would you think you were wasting your money? Why waste a lot of your valuable time watching something not nearly as nice? - quality experience counts.

Last edited:
LG OLEDs are the best in the business, got a 2017 model and wouldn't get any other type at this point - the OLEDs have the best black levels and picture around. Great for Xbox 4k gaming too.

We have an LG 65" and LG 55" OLED and they are great and far better than our Samsung LED 4K TVs. However you need a real 4K source to really take advantage of the picture quality. 4K media players will do that but cable companies and streaming services such as Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime do a very poor job with 4K and even HD. We have a very robust internet connection but the broadcast quality is just not that great.

It's time to get serious about the best entertainment set up. We found this deal at Costco...for $1850. I want to explore old movies and want the best picture. This TV has individual pixel lighting so the detail is perfect. As opposed to one background light for the whole picture. Does this make sense? Are we wasting our money?

https://www.costco.com/lg-65"-class...n-plan-bundle-included.product.100657326.html

Good price.

But Costco doesn't offer wall mounting?

So I'm more inclined to get it from BB if they match the price but you can pay them $200 for wall mounting.

That is a considerable discount over the comparable Sony A9G 65" OLED TV that I am currently leaning towards, but still shopping!

Rtings.com has very detailed reviews of all of the OLED models. Here is a link to their review of the 55" panel of the CX class. The short version is, they really like it.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled

Edit to add: Amazon's price is similar, although doesn't include the warranty. Not sure the Sony is worth and extra $600. Hmm.....

Last edited:
I think nowadays a consideration of what OS a TV has is an important one.

I personally like AndroidTV OS and very hesitant to use any proprietary OS systems as they may create a headache down the road.

Just my 2c and also waiting for Sony 77 OLED prices to come down more.

Have had no issues with webOS on the LG, seems to have all the good apps and they all run fine. Even got the 'beta' Comcast TV app for VOD which is not on every platform. Every once in a while I have to power cycle the TV because the apps get a little sluggish but it's not that often.

Agree with what you're saying to some extent but webOS is really not an issue here - eventually apps on a TV have issues because the OS is not kept up to date over the years, but that applies to all TV/OS just like with older phones.

Last edited:
We have two 65" LG OLEDs now and love both. No issues at all with webOS or any other concerns. Beautiful picture.

Looks like a fantastic tv and a good price.
My only thought is would it be worth waiting to see what black Friday deals will be as they are only a few weeks away?

I'm trying to talk myself into upgrading our main TV from a 55" LCD to a 65" OLED. It's confusing knowing you can buy a 65" UHD TV for anywhere from $250 to $2500+. Though I can see a difference in the picture quality when they're side by side in a perfectly lit store with carefully chosen content, I wonder if (older vision challenged) buyers can really see any difference once you get whichever TV you choose at home (with no direct comparison) - unless you consume a lot of content requiring better specs (e.g. faster refresh for sports, etc.).

From what I know you can't go wrong with LG, Samsung or Sony.

Last edited:
Looks like a fantastic tv and a good price.
My only thought is would it be worth waiting to see what black Friday deals will be as they are only a few weeks away?

Costco has a price match guarantee and no question return through January if you buy now. (90 day)

If you have the Costco credit card and Executive membership, that's 2% each, for 4% off. Also, using their credit card, the warranty extends out 4 years without additional cost. First, the factory warranty is 1 year. Costco doubles that warranty. Use the Costco credit card doubles the warranty again to 4 years. 4 year warranty and 4% cash back is going to be tough for BB or other resellers to beat. Add on the 90 day no-questions return policy and price matching and it's a no brainer.
On top of all that, the current listing on Costco includes a 3 year aftermarket warranty. This is added at the end, years 5, 6 and 7. So 7 year warranty for no additional cost.

Though I can see a difference in the picture quality when they're side by side in a perfectly lit store, I wonder if (older vision challenged) buyers can really see any difference once you get whichever TV you choose at home (with no direct comparison) - unless you consume a lot of content requiring better specs (e.g. faster refresh for sports, etc.).

+1

I'm of the opinion overall TV quality has reached the point where almost all big screen sets have a good picture. How much more are you willing to spend to get a very, very good picture? Hey, it's only money and if it makes you happy you might as well blow that dough. :)

I'm holding out that the 77" will come down below $3,000 before I pull the plug and get an OLED. I'm currently viewing on a 75" (not OLED BTW) I bought in November of 2016 and every time I watch it, I'm amazed at the color, clarity and quality. I only paid around $800 back then and it was one of, if not the cheapest at the time. It will go into the bed room and the Plasma 65" I have there will be a Christmas present for one of my sons. (yea, I'm THAT cheap. Plus it offsets the cost of my new OLED. )

FYI, if there's a Video Only near you it might be worth a trip. Heard a radio ad offering Black Friday pricing this weekend and figured I'd go take a look. Picked up the LG 77", 5 year warranty, wall mount, and free same-day delivery for a penny under $3K.

Costco has a price match guarantee and no question return through January if you buy now. (90 day)

If you have the Costco credit card and Executive membership, that's 2% each, for 4% off. Also, using their credit card, the warranty extends out 4 years without additional cost. First, the factory warranty is 1 year. Costco doubles that warranty. Use the Costco credit card doubles the warranty again to 4 years. 4 year warranty and 4% cash back is going to be tough for BB or other resellers to beat. Add on the 90 day no-questions return policy and price matching and it's a no brainer.
On top of all that, the current listing on Costco includes a 3 year aftermarket warranty. This is added at the end, years 5, 6 and 7. So 7 year warranty for no additional cost.

All good points I wasn't aware of. Don't belong to Costco as it is over an hour away for me.

So love this. The first one of these I bought I had waited for the price to drop and thought I got a decent deal but 'returned' it twice in the subsequent months and saved another $700.

I now use a 55" LG CX as my gaming computer monitor. Very beautiful.

The OLED sets will have the best picture quality, but don't have all the brightness of LED/LCD TV's. The OLED's also have a wider viewing angle if you need to watch the TV from off to the side. But of course the OLED sets are more expensive.

RTINGS.com is my go-to source for ratings to make sure the TV does what you want at a price you want.

We purchased the 65” LG OLED from Costco earlier this year, and this week we purchased the 77” LG OLED after the price dropped to $3,449.00. Both sets are fantastic and I have no regrets about spending the extra money to get OLED sets even though they have LED sets for much less. The picture quality is just amazing and worth every penny considering how many years these sets will be useful for.

Costco offers a five year warranty included in the price and a 90 day return policy. They ship sets for free, and if you want them to set it up and take away the box they charge $20 for white glove delivery. There is no other retailer that will match the combination of Costco’s price, warranty, and generous return policy. You do not need to be anywhere near a Costco. You place the order online and it shows up a few days later. Even if you never set foot in a Costco warehouse it’s worth buying the $60 membership to get an LG TV set from Costco and get all of the benefits that go along with it.

We purchased the 65” LG OLED from Costco earlier this year, and this week we purchased the 77” LG OLED after the price dropped to $3,449.00. Both sets are fantastic and I have no regrets about spending the extra money to get OLED sets even though they have LED sets for much less. The picture quality is just amazing and worth every penny considering how many years these sets will be useful for.

Costco offers a five year warranty included in the price and a 90 day return policy. They ship sets for free, and if you want them to set it up and take away the box they charge $20 for white glove delivery. There is no other retailer that will match the combination of Costco’s price, warranty, and generous return policy. You do not need to be anywhere near a Costco. You place the order online and it shows up a few days later. Even if you never set foot in a Costco warehouse it’s worth buying the $60 membership to get an LG TV set from Costco and get all of the benefits that go along with it.
Thank you! We're new members an shopping at our brand new Costo is like shopping Disneyland:) I wasn't sure about the delivery. Did you buy the stand? I don't think they will wall mount.

I'm trying to talk myself into upgrading our main TV from a 55" LCD to a 65" OLED. It's confusing knowing you can buy a 65" UHD TV for anywhere from $250 to $2500+. Though I can see a difference in the picture quality when they're side by side in a perfectly lit store with carefully chosen content, I wonder if (older vision challenged) buyers can really see any difference once you get whichever TV you choose at home (with no direct comparison) - unless you consume a lot of content requiring better specs (e.g. faster refresh for sports, etc.).

That's how we think too. Also, most of our TV viewing is cable, Netflix, or Amazon Prime so I'm guessing that anything more than a 4K TV is a waste as the source signal isn't that great to begin with.

BTW, SAM's Club is listing the 77" for the same price as Costco plus a $100 gift card and a $100 bluetooth stereo speaker that can be used with the TV for back speakers for surround sound. Their return policy is as good as Costco, but their warranty I don't think is as generous. They give 2% on membership credit, but not on using their credit card.

Back
Top Bottom