LG 65 OLED TV at Costco

Yes still using Consumer Reports for some things. They do have labs and have been doing testing for many years. Was a long time Stereophile and Sound & Vision subscriber and also started out in Engineering. We can agree to disagree which I think is fair. I'll enjoy my experience and you enjoy yours. Cheers.

I'll drink to that!
take care

We have the LG CX 77” OLED in our family room. We live by the ocean and get extreme glare from the water into the house. The TV is right next to the sliding glass patio doors where all of the sunlight enters the room. We had a Samsung LCD TV in the room for many years and it was so bad that we just gave up trying to watch TV until after sunset.

The LG TV is perfectly viewable in the room even with the blinds completely raised. There is no glare at all and the view from the sides is just as good as the view from straight ahead. And the TV is extremely bright. I could actually make it brighter if I wanted to but I don’t need it to be any brighter than it is.

You would be hard pressed to find any credible review from a reputable source that would argue that OLED is not the best TV picture you can buy today. LCDs can get slightly brighter if that is really important to you but OLED screens are very bright. The best Samsung QLED TVs come close in picture quality to OLED, but they cost just as much and the picture is still not as good.

Samsungs are also known for having a lot of problems with sound bars using EARC connections. Read the Sonos forums and see how many Samsung owners are frustrated with their inability to decode a Dolby Atmos signal.

But the worst thing about Samsung TVs is they still don’t support Dolby Vision. We watch a lot of Netflix shows in Dolby Vision and the picture quality is absolutely amazing. I can’t imagine spending thousands on a high end Samsung TV and still not being able to watch shows in Dolby Vision on them.

The LG CX 65” at Costco for $1,849 is a steal. With the five year warranty and the Hulu credit and free speaker they are offering an amazing deal on this set. I would not buy this set from anyone other than Costco though because you will definitely want a five year warranty on a set this expensive and other retailers tend to charge hundreds of dollars for the extended warranty.

You would be hard pressed to find any credible review from a reputable source that would argue that OLED is not the best TV picture you can buy today. LCDs can get slightly brighter if that is really important to you but OLED screens are very bright. The best Samsung QLED TVs come close in picture quality to OLED, but they cost just as much and the picture is still not as good.

Samsungs are also known for having a lot of problems with sound bars using EARC connections. Read the Sonos forums and see how many Samsung owners are frustrated with their inability to decode a Dolby Atmos signal.

Only my opinion, but a great picture is only part of the experience. Quality sound is a must (for me at least) and most sound bars lack compared to a good pair of speakers.

If I had $3000 to spend on TV and audio I'd spend $800 - $1000 on a TV, $300 - $400 for receiver, and $1200 - $1500 for speakers. They put a lot of effort into the audio of a movie and I want to hear every bit of it.

Only my opinion, but a great picture is only part of the experience. Quality sound is a must (for me at least) and most sound bars lack compared to a good pair of speakers.

If I had $3000 to spend on TV and audio I'd spend $800 - $1000 on a TV, $300 - $400 for receiver, and $1200 - $1500 for speakers. They put a lot of effort into the audio of a movie and I want to hear every bit of it.

With the username “Music Lover” I don’t doubt that one bit. If I were you I would just skip the TV and spend the entire $3K on a sound system. You will enjoy it far more than the average audiophile.

With the username “Music Lover” I don’t doubt that one bit. If I were you I would just skip the TV and spend the entire $3K on a sound system. You will enjoy it far more than the average audiophile.

I was just picking numbers out of the air...and to be fair, although I do have a good set of speakers I have no idea what a good basic system would cost these days. :LOL:

I've always been someone that considers the sound just as important as the picture. Even back in days of VHS and 20" TV's I would run the audio through a receiver and a pair of tower speakers. I won't even watch the news through the TV speakers.

I think the 3 things that turned my thinking around most was the burn-in issues (I listen to a lot of news with static banners)

My 3-year old LG OLED has no burn-in and I watch a LOT of sports/news/shows and play a LOT of Xbox and PC games on it with fixed logos/HUDs/etc. It has an automatic pixel refresher that runs every 6 months or so, have no idea if that helps.

Another overhyped issue IMO.

Last edited:
My 3-year old LG OLED has no burn-in and I watch a LOT of sports/news/shows and play a LOT of Xbox and PC games on it with fixed logos. It has an automatic pixel refresher that runs every 6 months or so, have no idea if that helps.

YMMV.
It's pretty much a done deal for us. We'll just move that hutch out of the way. I'll be ordering soon.

So this Costco deal ends on the 22nd, well in advance of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Any guesses if the price will be reduced for those events?

So this Costco deal ends on the 22nd, well in advance of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Any guesses if the price will be reduced for those events?
Out of Stock all over the country, includes the 77" too. He said keep checking everyday, early in the morning and late at night, the two extremes of the day. I guess it's hit or miss. I'm glad we didn't get rid of our old TV and hutch before ordering. :)

Last edited:
Out of Stock all over the country, includes the 77" too. He said keep checking everyday, early in the morning and late at night, the two extremes of the day.

What are you talking about? I put each in my cart and it says it will arrive on Nov. 24th, 5 days from now. Neither 65 or 77 seems to be out of stock to me.

What are you talking about? I put each in my cart and it says it will arrive on Nov. 24th, 5 days from now. Neither 65 or 77 seems to be out of stock to me.
I just called customer service and that's what he said. A big "Out of Stock" came up when I tried to put in the order. I would have bought the 77" too. He said out of stock. What can I say? And they can't guarantee the Allstate and Hulu add ons after 11/22. We're SOL. I'll check a few times a day. He said stock comes in and goes out fast.

Last edited:
It says it's out of stock to my zip code in VA. I changed to a Colorado zip code and I can order it. I was thinking you lived in CO, but it might be CA? No matter. It looks like it's out in some warehouses and not others, and they won't ship between warehouses.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the LG OLED (either 55 or 65, haven't decided yet) but don't know how to get rid of our 50" Panasonic plasma which still works fine. I'm happy to give it away to someone who would pick it up responsibly, but none of my attempts at this have been successful so far. Ideas?

Best Buy is having another sale on the Vizio OLED sets. $899/$1499 for 55/65 inch. The LG is $1,350 so $899 is a great buy for a 55 inch set.

For the 65 inch the LG is $1,849 so the Vizio is not as a great of a savings percentage wise, but still a decent set for the price.

Back
Top Bottom