Life Expectancy Calculator

I'm not sure I'd even want to live to 94.

Talking with DW's father the other day...he's in relatively/quite good health for 92 1/2, but he's tired, and allowed that he wouldn't mind if he didn't see another winter.

Enough is enough.

Talking with DW's father the other day...he's in relatively/quite good health for 92 1/2, but he's tired, and allowed that he wouldn't mind if he didn't see another winter.

Enough is enough.

Yeah. I'm 56, and I'm tired already, lol.

Yeah. I'm 56, and I'm tired already, lol.

Also...all his old friends are gone....if he goes to (say) the mall he never sees anyone he knows.

Sheesh, I only got 82, even though I feel like I'm a fairly healthy guy. No big surprise though, the vast majority of my ancestors died between 70 and 80. Several died young.

Also...all his old friends are gone....if he goes to (say) the mall he never sees anyone he knows.

Makes sense. Everyone else has moved on. Must feel kind of lonely.

but it didn't ask about my own medical condition. Sure seems like a big omission!

It does say that 'the calculator may not provide accurate results for individuals who have a chronic illness'. And as pointed out it does ask you quite a few questions about your state of wellness and your attitudes towards risky behaviors and health maintenance. These calculators are the results of logistic regression analysis of data so are only going to hit the big factors. The most powerful family related issue is going to be cardiovascular disease and they have hit on this. Some other calculators might be more specific and use lipid profile but not everyone would know this to input it and I don't know that it would be more valid anyway. Truly heritable cancer is not that common so even a family tendency to cancer gets lost in the environmental risks such as smoking, viruses and all of the carcinogens we get exposed to in the course of living. AFAIK there isn't a calculator that has been validated prospectively and the insurance companies who likely have the best data keep their risk scoring pretty simple.

I used to look at the Death Clock. It uses only age, sex, BMI, outlook on life, and smoking status and gives you a countdown in seconds until your predicted day of departure. The Death Clock - When Am I Going To Die?

Lifespan Calculator – Test Your Life Expectancy || NM

While not directly asking age, they do ask medical conditions in your family

Thank you for that link.

I was curious to see the question about 'drug use'.

I am currently going through radiation treatment for prostate cancer and I have considered using medical Marijuana. I do not know if that is considered drug use in this context.

bts I am 59 and it said 95 for me.

Last edited:
Thank you for that link.

I am currently going through radiation treatment for prostate cancer and I have considered using medical Marijuana. I do not know if that is considered drug use in this context.

Sorry to hear about the cancer.

Answering yes to that question dropped the age significantly. I doubt it is considering cannabis. Some people very close to me used MJ to help mitigate the effects of chemo and radiation in addition to improving the depression that accompanies that diagnosis.
I would not worry about the negative effects of cannabis other than the draconian laws surrounding the use.

Another question I have: if I check out sooner than this calculator predicts, do I have any basis to file a lawsuit?

91 but my doctor who knows me gave me another 30 years at 67...I think he read the “ Good through” date on the bottom of my foot.

I got 76 which is the oldest any male member of my family on either side has ever lived and has been my goal. I guess this calculator seems accurate to me.

You may want to study my signature lines. How foolish to take some "average" and base your life decisions on it. (please, don't take that personally.) You would be better served by considering your choice of parents... and even that is (quite) suspect.

Sorry about your cancer. Used in your context it would not be considered 'recreational'. So you would answer 'No' if this were your only exposure. I'm pretty sure that MJ would be considered a 'recreational' drug when used for 'non-medicinal' purposes.

Last edited:
Oh! Of course. In addition to lookin to your choice of parents, a discussion with your doctor would, also, be useful.

but it didn't ask about my own medical condition. Sure seems like a big omission!

It does say that 'the calculator may not provide accurate results for individuals who have a chronic illness'...

If one already has a chronic disease, this kind of calculator does not apply. One then needs to look at the prognosis for his specific condition. For example, a patient currently undergoing treatment for cancer should find this calculator useless.

On other less severe conditions, they address high blood pressure, but not other things about your kidney, liver, lung functions.

That means the life span that it gives will be the optimistic upper end that one can expect.

I got 93, which is a lot more than I expect. :)

I have no history of males on my Dad's side, he was an only child and abandoned at a young age. He had a few health issues but never spent a day in the hospital until he was diagnosed with lymphoma at 72 and died 6 months later. Mom lived to 86, dying of "old age", no cancer, no dementia, her body just wore down. most of her siblings lived into their 80s and two are still alive at 90. She was still physically active into her early 80s.I have 2 older brothers in their late 60s and a sister in her mid-60s and all are healthy, normal weight, and active.

Just to be clear that these things were generated and work on a population level but aren't meant for much other than entertainment (and perhaps motivation) for individuals.

Individual organ function tests aren't going to be of much value in an otherwise healthy individual. High blood pressure is highly predictive of future kidney issues, alcohol intake of liver issues, smoking of lung and cardiovascular issues and although no specific question about diabetes, this is likely covered by BMI, diet, exercise and family history of heart disease .

... Individual organ function tests aren't going to be of much value in an otherwise healthy individual. High blood pressure is highly predictive of future kidney issues, alcohol intake of liver issues, smoking of lung and cardiovascular issues and although no specific question about diabetes, this is likely covered by BMI, diet, exercise and family history of heart disease.

Yes, stress on the phrase "otherwise healthy individual".

What I meant in the earlier post was that if one is already diagnosed as having a "weak" liver, or kidney leaking protein or glucose into the urine, etc..., then the calculator result does not apply. Is that correct?

Mom lived to 86, dying of "old age", … her body just wore down.

And you're all right with that diagnosis? What exactly is the medical condition called "old age" that is so dangerous? In any event, I've been "worn down" many times but never (yet) considered it life threatening -- in and of itself.

Okay, let me put it in perspective. I am old enough that I have seen many die unexpectedly much younger than they should have (considered by me). On the other hand, there are several of those folks best described by Louis Armstrong.

Bottom line: I believe in magic. One moment you magically appear, You are given an indeterminate period of time to do whatever you choose to do. (make the best of it) And... suddenly you disappear.

I played the above youtube video,

"When you're lyin' six feet deep, no more fried chicken will you eat
I'll be glad when you're dead, you rascal, you, oh yeah"

DW overheard this lyrics and said it was so mean. :)

Compared to that, this song is much more benign,

Last edited:
DW overheard this lyrics and said it was so mean.

I am sure it was meant to be by the author. In any event, it is only a wish not a threat -- which is a great "turn of phrase."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom