Life Expectancy Calculator

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Every calculator I googled for life expectancy didn't require how old your parents lived. They asked a lot of different questions for a result but none that I found needed parents age of death. Interesting. I would of though that it would be at least a same percent of the equation for coming up with a expected age of death.

I did it in reverse, put in 30 years old and then answered everything as badly as possible to see what would happen. Tells me I'll die within a year.

I'm 53 and got 92 years! Like others, I'm hoping for fewer, high-quality years, than more low-quality years!

I came up with... 90! So I'm gonna throw THAT calculator out!
To the best of my knowledge, no male in my family tree has ever lived past ~75. And they weren't all clustered near 75, either. A couple female members made it into their mid-80s.

90 - eek, noooo!
I'm going over to youtube now, to play Elton John's "60 Years On" from his early days.

Every calculator I googled for life expectancy didn't require how old your parents lived. They asked a lot of different questions for a result but none that I found needed parents age of death. Interesting. I would of though that it would be at least a same percent of the equation for coming up with a expected age of death.

Besides, as someone else said, your parents being still alive, some people's parents die in car crashes, wars, or maybe lung cancer at 45 from heavy smoking. None of which would impact the currently person running the calculator

I would of though(t)

No. You would have thought.

Thanks

A lot of it has to do with lifestyle and environment - at the time. My parents are both very healthy, active, early/mid 70's. No meds except my Dad takes a statin - but he's always been a low healthy weight and exercises, just comes up high on cholesterol tests. Non smokers, rare with the red meat and a weekly drink at most.

They have both exceeded their parents by decade+ measures. Both can be attributed to overall healthier lifestyle choices (which wasn't even a thing in the 40's - 60's), and simply environment. Asbestos, lead, smog, smoke, and a bunch of other things that used to be common but are now thankfully far less so.

My maternal grandmother's breakfast was "a smoke and a good cough", and she was gone at 56. I expect my Mum to sail past 86. And every time she gets a good report after doctor's visit, she sends of a check to her favorite charity.

I got 91. Not only am I gonna have to buy new socks, I'm gonna have to buy a new pickup truck.

92 for me.
Glad I recently bought a 10 pack of panties.

Taking this number with a big grain of salt, as no relative, going back 5 generations has lived past 91. And only two have made it past 82. Yes, I saw the no correlation with family longevity posts, but still, this number is rather unbelievable to me, just saying.

A lot of it has to do with lifestyle and environment - at the time.

Yes, very true. No male in my family (dad, uncles) lived past about 70, and most were dead by their early 60s. But none of them had what I would consider to be healthy lifestyles........most smoked, some drank heavily, poor diet, not much exercise, etc.. I try to lead a much healthier lifestyle than they did, so hopefully I'll be around a little longer :blush:

The calculator says: 87
But, dad died at 95.5 and mom is still alive (brain rot, but, alive) at 95.5
So, I think 95 is better for planning purposes.

Lifespan Calculator – Test Your Life Expectancy || NM

While not directly asking age, they do ask medical conditions in your family

I did it in reverse, put in 30 years old and then answered everything as badly as possible to see what would happen. Tells me I'll die within a year.

I played with it the same way, and it gave the poor person one year to live no matter what age he is, from 60 down to 30.

When I put in 20, it said life would end at 24. :)

I went back and played with it for a 24 year old. I looked at each question and what effect it had good to bad. 6'2", 185 LBS, exp age 76. Before going to next question I picked the question that would put me closest to that exp. age. Most from best to worst were about 3 years. However, two things stand out. Smoking and drinking! Answer the driving question with 2 or more dwi;s and I went from 75 to 63! That was easily the biggest hit.
As far as the family health question, best went up 2 years, and worst down 2.

As mine topped out at 98, I think it is a tad bit optimistic.

but it didn't ask about my own medical condition. Sure seems like a big omission!

In a round about way it does. It ask about blood pressure, smoking, exercise and drinking. All dealing with life style. No internet survey, that I know of, could possibly consider each individuals health. It would not only be very long, but it would have to inquire about almost all medical conditions and still could not predict how you might survive as your DNA would handle the exact same condition different from someone else.

I got 94 if I said don't use drugs recreationally and 85 if I do. I smoke weed occasionally. The question makes reference to drugs like heroin and cocaine. I have a sense they're talking about regular use of hard drugs, as a lifestyle, rather than occasional use of something like marijuana. So that question is a little strange, since you can lose 10 years based on it alone. I'm not aware of any research showing that occasional marijuana use reduces lifespan by 10 years.

I think the calculator is too optimistic. 94? That's a long ways to go. Too long, really. Maybe I need to start using cocaine so I take myself out by 85. Life is nice and all, but I kind of agree with Camus, sometimes it goes on too long (and disagree with Jethro Tull; the tune doesn't end too soon for us all). I'm not sure I'd even want to live to 94.

But the calculator is an interesting corrective to my usual assumption, which is that I've only got maybe 15 or 20 years left (I'm 56). I had calculated my lifespan using a different calculator (Real Age, I think?) many years ago, and it gave me 76. This one gives me at least a decade longer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom