Life Expectancy Calculator

I'm not sure I like the UConn. It has me at 103.5 years. I'm definitely sure that my kids won't like it. ;) How do you spell curmudgeon again?

LOL!

Paternal side is rife with cardiac issues. Maternal side has no such issues; all the aunts and uncles lived to a great age. Unfortunately, the last decade or so was always spent in dementia. I would far rather die.

The U Conn one also has me at 92, consistent with the first calculator. Motivated to try it as several relatives got U Conn degrees, so interest was piqued. Also said I could have up to 9 yrs of dementia. Which actually makes me hope the brain cancer that kills most in my maternal line gets me first, and probably at well before 92. Whatever.

I have to blow that dough, I don't have long to go.

Edit to add: The calculator said 79 and this is post 79 so it must be true.

I got 96 out of UConn calculator, with 2.7 years of misery before I die.

When I changed the Exercise to "never", Current Health Level to "poor", Diet to "poor", it says 87 years, which is still 5 years longer than the life expectancy used by SSA.

And the calculator also says that the health for the above condition is 1% better than average. Makes me think that the average health of the population is very poor.

Uconn says: If I drop a few pounds and stop drinking I get 3 more years, which puts me over 100... so I think I'd rather enjoy myself and go out at 98!

And when I changed everything to the worst possible choice, including education and income, it says I have 10 years left to live, with 5 years of that in misery.

That lifespan of 72 is still longer than that of many people I know who did most things right. Luck or lack of it trumps everything else.

I played with it the same way, and it gave the poor person one year to live no matter what age he is, from 60 down to 30.

When I put in 20, it said life would end at 24. :)

Too funny! I did the same thing. Input 25 overweight, blood pressure issues, heavy smoker and drinker etc., all the worst possible answers. Dead at 26...

See, it's all in your head: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...k-you-are-versus-actual-fitness-2017081412282

No matter how they ran the numbers, if people thought they were “a lot less active” than their peers, this was associated with a statistically significant higher risk of death: at least 18% when compared to the general population (those whose data were not included), and up to 71% higher when compared to people who thought they were “more active.” Again, this is regardless of actual physical activity or other health risk factors (smoking, being overweight, etc.).

Very interesting.

The findings are supported by the previous research of one of the authors. She studied 84 women whose job (cleaning hotel rooms) was very active. Half of the women were informed that what they did for work was very active, active enough to meet recommended exercise levels. The other half got a lecture about physical activity and exercise recommendations, but no one told them that they were sufficiently active. Interestingly, after only four weeks, not only did the informed women report that they were more active, they also had decreases in weight, blood pressure, body fat, waist-to-hip ratio, and body mass index.

Ah, the power of positive thinking. How should the men of this forum put this into practice?

Easy! From now on, whenever you get up from your lazy chair during a televised football game to fetch a beer from the fridge instead of call out to your wife, count that as an exercise. And answer accordingly to online lifespan calculator or survey.

If you drink two beers during a televised game, that's light exercise. Four or 5, that's moderate. A six pack or more, that's heavy exercise.

Last edited:
Very interesting.

Ah, the power of positive thinking. How should the men of this forum put this into practice?

Easy! From now on, whenever you get up from your lazy chair during a televised football game to fetch a beer from the fridge instead of call out to your wife, count that as an exercise. And answer accordingly to online lifespan calculator or survey.

If you drink two beers during a televised game, that's light exercise. Four or 5, that's moderate. A six pack or more, that's heavy exercise.

This exercise also includes the decreasing weight 1 pound curls. Make sure to use each arm for symmetry and work those guns!

Calculator says 92 but I suspect not. I smoked until I was 32 and have the first indicators of COPD show up at 50 although those were asymptomatic. I would be very surprised to last to 92 unless there is a breakthrough in COPD treatment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom