Life Insurance Denied

mountainsoft

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Every year my wife's employer asks her to review her withholdings, medical and dental coverages, life insurance, etc. This year we decided to increase our life insurance coverages slightly, which meant filling out medical forms for each of us. I figured it was an annoying formality and didn't give it much thought.

Yesterday we received letters from the life insurance company that our applications had been denied. Apparently the pacemaker my wife received two years ago and the blood clot she had in her arm a few months later was too risky for them. As the non-member I was denied because my wife was denied. Neither of us were surprised by the decision, but it was still odd to be denied for life insurance. Like "you're gonna die, and we don't want to pay".

Thankfully, they confirmed our original life insurance policies would remain in effect. I'm sure we could probably shop around and find some place that would cover my wife (at a higher cost), but we've been planning to drop life insurance anyway once we retire so I doubt we'll bother.

Financially it's a non-issue, but emotionally it was a bit of a reminder of our mortality. We're not spring chickens anymore and we get closer to death every year. :)

I had something similar happen when I had a pending surgery to remove my gall bladder. I thought it was odd as that is a fairly routine, laparoscopic surgery. Once, I had it out and survived, I was able to get the policy written.

Back
Top Bottom