Light Bulbs

LED's would be perfect for Christmas lights, red and green are common and well, there you go!

But look at the curve I posted! No red needed (1/8th the luminance of green). All green is what you want.

Maybe for St. Patrick's day.

Some new "warm" Xmas LED sets have hit the market this year.

They are pretty good. About 90% there. Enough for me to give them a shot.

The 'warm-white' have been out for a few years. Before that the 'white' were those sort of 'electric-blue-white' - we're are so used to the 'warm' glow of a soft incandescent, which is similar to candle light, the LED white looks stark.

The warm LEDS we have are not perfect, still a little greenish or something. They are OK, I just avoided having them right next to the old filament bulbs, though I'm on the last of those now.

-ERD50

The 'warm-white' have been out for a few years. Before that the 'white' were those sort of 'electric-blue-white' - we're are so used to the 'warm' glow of a soft incandescent, which is similar to candle light, the LED white looks stark.

The warm LEDS we have are not perfect, still a little greenish or something. They are OK, I just avoided having them right next to the old filament bulbs, though I'm on the last of those now.

-ERD50

Exactly! Don't put them side by side and they look pretty good. :)

I've avoided LEDs because of the electric-cool look. These fake warm-look are just good enough.

I just received an order of T10 LED Filament bulbs for a chandelier. Supposed to be 2700K, but give off a harsh glary white light. They're going back. I'm trying another set that are supposed to be 2200K. If they're still not a decent replacement I'm going back to incandescent.

I just received an order of T10 LED Filament bulbs for a chandelier. Supposed to be 2700K, but give off a harsh glary white light. They're going back. I'm trying another set that are supposed to be 2200K. If they're still not a decent replacement I'm going back to incandescent.

Its nice to have that option. Ref: my comments above about banned BR40 incandescent floods.

-gauss

Last edited:
Cheapest I've seen for standard LED bulbs at HD. Not dimmable and not for enclosed fixtures. IMG_1480100288.691874.jpg

I received the new bulbs. Much nicer color! Far more yellow, and less of the glaring white. Interestingly, as I was replacing the bulbs (in a 6 bulb chandelier) I noticed that with each 2200K bulb I added the remaining 2700K bulbs dimmed significantly. Once they were all replaced the new bulbs don't dim as well as the old ones. They go from full power to somewhat dim to off before the dimmer slider even goes half way down. Oh well, you can't have everything. Maybe a new LED compliant dimmer would work better. It sure would be nice though if they could get everything to work as well as it did in the incandescent world.

......... It sure would be nice though if they could get everything to work as well as it did in the incandescent world.
As I recall, incandescents have been around a tiny bit longer.

The dimmer has an easier time with incandescent bulbs because they are resistive loads. The LED's electronics offers a more complex load to the dimmer electronics, and there is interaction between the two.

I believe ERD50 has had some success by leaving an incandescent bulb in the circuit to dampen out the impedance of the whole circuit.

I believe ERD50 has had some success by leaving an incandescent bulb in the circuit to dampen out the impedance of the whole circuit.

I just tried that with the lights above the mirror in our bathroom. I have four LEDs in there and I have incandescents that are unscrewed enough that they don't come on (to fill the empty sockets).

I screwed two of the incandescents in, but it didn't make a discernible difference. That is, the lights would still jump on as the dimmer got to about 50% of the way up.

It's worth a shot. Time to get out the scope and see what the voltage and current waveforms look like...

Oh wait a minute! Why should I be spending time to do that? It's far more fun now to research a place to spend the nights while visiting Cinque Terre, or figuring out which distillers to visit in the town of Cognac.

Back
Top Bottom