Looking back at my intro thread; how things have changed

ER Eddie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Do you ever look at your introductory post and compare it to where you are now? I did that yesterday.

I posted for the first time when I was 51 and a half. I'm nearly 57 now, so that was 5 and a half years ago. At the time, I was feeling very stressed and negative about my job. I was planning to go full retirement at 53, in about 17 months, which was the earliest date possible.

One of the remarks I made in my intro post was, "It's been funny to watch my planned retirement date move from 59 down to 57, down to 55, and then down to 53."

Well, since then, it's been funny to watch my retirement date move in the other direction -- from 53 eventually back to 58, maybe 59.

Since that first post, a lot has changed:

• My stress level on the job plummeted, for many reasons (some toxic people left, my boss is nicer, I have more help, I've stopped caring as much, FI makes me feel free to be almost myself, etc.)
  • Went in for a "minor surgery" and almost died
  • I cut back to part-time a year ago, which has been a big change

Pension has grown a bit, net worth has increased substantially because of the market performance and good investments (thanks again to the people here who provided early guidance to an investing noob). I've got a more realistic view of the pros and cons of both work and retirement.

I'm still making my way through the process. I'm still trying to figure out whether I want to live here or move elsewhere. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do, from the standpoint of meaningful work, after I pull the plug completely at my current job.

Anyhow, I thought it was an interesting exercise, to look back at my introductory thread and see how things had changed.

Anybody else done the same? What are your observations?

p.s. If you're wondering how to find your first introductory post, look under "Search," and you'll find an option for "all discussions started by you."

Last edited:
Interesting thought. I went back and found my introductory post, which was actually over a year after I had registered with the site and had been reading and posting infrequently. This was in August, 2006, only 4 years before my stated target FIRE date so guess that it is not too surprising that I achieved that.

Very interesting thought. Since posting that intro 3 years ago, we have cut way back on our travels because of some health issues.
My advice is to retire young, while your health is good, and your body can stand the rigors of travel.

My "intro" post was on the day I ER'd, although I'd joined a few months earlier and had posted infrequently before that.

I never did any teaching, dabbled in consulting a bit but never really enjoyed it, and gave up golf after a year of frustration in trying to learn it. But I'm still very involved with volunteer activities nearly 8 years later, although in different roles. All in all, ER has been wonderful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom