Looking back, the best decade for you?

What was the best decade in your opinion?

• 1940's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1950's

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 1960's

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • 1970's

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • 1980's

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • 1990's

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • 2000's

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • 2010's

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • current

Votes: 22 21.8%

• Total voters
‘73 to ‘83 was the best decade in my life.

On my 18th birthday in February my mother was blue-lighted to the hospital where she spent 3 months in hospital and nearly died but was fully recovered by the summer. In September I left home to start work and college where I met my future wife and by 1983 we had had a great adventure together and were settled with 2 toddlers in the small market town where we moved back to in 2016 over 30 years later.

70's or split 73-83.... the joys of an irresponsible unsupervised kid, growing into a S/D and RR teen.. managing to survive without getting arrested, a disease or someone pregnant.
Not proud, but it was a wild ride...

Thought about this before, and it was the 80's when I was in my 30's. Struggled with career changes before that, landed in a very public job that had tons of challenges that were fun and most all ended well for me until they didn't in the mid 90's. Kids were young, built a house, was paid way more than previously. I'm reminded of those good times when I hear music of the 80's; not all great music but just evokes good memories.

Those things aside, ain't got no complaints about where I've been and what I've done. Aging has been relatively kind to both of us although DW is experiencing some back issues. Never long to return to the challenges of the past, even with a return of a younger body. Had a call yesterday from a colleague of the 80's. He'd had a meet up with a lot of our cohorts of those days and he said they'd reminisced about a lot of those trying times. Enjoyable conversation but doesn't make me want to go back. I'm happy being a lazy guy just enjoying the days I got left. Let the good times roll.....:dance:

By far this past decade. Got married, moved to Hawaii. Traveled quite a bit, to all the islands, New Zealand, and a bunch of places in the US visiting friends. Moved back to our hometown, bought the McMansion, career's really took off, started a family, brought 3 wonderful children into the world, really was able to position myself for a FIRE journey. The only real bad thing that happened in this decade was we lost my sister to a battle with Stage IV colon cancer and miss her dearly. I hope the next decade is even better. People say the best time of a person's life is when they are retired grandparents, and if that is true than things will just get sweeter with time.

For gratifying my ego, the 80s were the best decade:
- Was considered a "rising employee with executive potential", going from local consulting/support to geographical area client support to local manager to manager of national team by end of decade. I received several free family trips (with spending money) paid for by Megacorp as awards.

- Received many unsolicited opportunities for romantic relationships as I was devilishly handsome, athletic, well-dressed, and a gentleman :cool:. But I chose not to take advantage of those opportunities, and instead married the prettiest woman in the universe.

- Bought our first condo, which almost doubled in value in 3 years, to let us buy our first standalone home. Thought this real estate stuff would be easy :LOL:.

- Started having kids, who still believed Dad was the greatest at the end of the decade.

- Had a front page article in the local Sunday paper about me and my work at the 1984 Olympics, which led to many opportunities to speak at local schools and youth organizations (and deal with more romantic interest).

- With Megacorp's approval continued to be an on air DJ at my alma mater's FM radio station and DJ at local clubs and private parties. No clients ever complained, a lot of them said they listened to me, and it lead to being hired for private parties. Met a lot of musical artists from their station visits and the concerts the radio station sponsored. I gave it up primarily due to the increasing time commitment as my career advanced and the increased romantic temptation/stalking it was generating.

- Started traveling across the country for Megacorp, and it was still new and exciting.

- Sang a duet with Diana Ross (for all of 15 seconds) in Las Vegas.

- Was very active in softball/flag-tackle football/basketball/volleyball/racquetball leagues. Not a star, but I was asked to participate in these things so my athletic talent was either respected our they were desperate :LOL:

- Could eat anything I want and not gain weight. Like those huge steaks at the Traildust in Dallas.

- Only experienced one tragic loss, one of my college roommates. Both Dw and my parents were still alive and active. Family and friends had not yet started dying.

- There is a wide age range among my siblings, but during the decade the range reach college years to mid-30's so we were all able to have a lot more in common and grew closer.

- In general, at that time, "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades"

Again, this is from a pure ego standpoint. Things that were good for my ego were not necessarily good for me. Being older and wiser, the sentiment of "any decade I survive is a good decade" rings true.

Last edited:
It was a blast being a kid and teen in the 60's and early 70's, met and married DH in the late 70's.
But I would say current, is the best so far. Being comfortably retired, our long, hard work from jobs rewarded by pension and investments, living close to family, kids and especially Grandchildren. They are the best!:smitten:

The 1980's was the best decade in human history to be alive IMO.

Be careful! That statement is ambiguous in a way that could get you into domestic trouble! :D

:LOL: That is why I majored in Math and Computer Science, not English. Probably should have wrote " But I chose not to take advantage of those opportunities, and instead married the prettiest woman in the universe". Fixed.

2010 because I retired then, my grandkids were at a great age and I got to spend a lot of time with them, and my Dad was alive.

I thought about this a little bit more and wanted to add that my Dad was alive and it was before dementia robbed him of his last years of life.

I chose the 90's, but I could have chosen the 70's too.

1. In the 90's we had fun times with our kids.

2. We were just building our careers.

3. My job at the time had lots of perks including trips to New Zealand and going to the Super Bowl to watch my team win, the Green Bay Packers.

4. My wife graduated from pharmacy school and my company sold, giving us a huge (to us at that time) payday. We paid off our home and bought new (badly needed) cars.

5. We had a lot of friends to play golf, softball and other sports with.

6. I was running marathons, and probably in the best shape of my life.

-No worries

The 1990s. In 1990 I married my soul mate. I loved her to death. We had some incredible adventures and had 2 kids. It was by far the happiest time of my life.

In 2010 (when I was 54) she dumped me, and I have not been able to find another partner. For various reasons I lost nearly all of my social circle, and it was difficult to replace that support group. So the 2010s sucked for me, and so far the 2020s are worse. Pandemic isolation sucks when you're totally by yourself AND you don't dare spend time around other people because your cancer makes you hyper-susceptible to Covid. Hopefully there are better times ahead!!

Last edited:
Hi GaryInCO, you've had some tough knocks. But sounds like you are doing the right thing being extra cautious. I'm sure there will be better times to come for you. :)

I had a hard time with this. I voted the 90’s but I think it was more like 1996- 2000’s because we had so many wonderful vacation memories during that time as our son was growing up.

But then watching old tv shows and movies from the 50’s that seemed like such a nice, simple time, though I hate the music. lol! .

I do love retirement, but not the pandemic or what is going on politically in our country so I didn’t pick it.

Back
Top Bottom