Looks like we do not have to do anything about global warming...

Who would have guessed there were so many climatologists on this site?
Climatologists, statisticians, psychologists, chaplains, financial planners, astrologers, health care policy--this is one stop shopping.

Pastafarians know the true reason for global warming:

Oh the irony of it all...

When you drive less, grow some food, buy used, live in a smaller house, turn the lights off, unplug the cell charger when you're not using it, make anything last instead of buying a new shiny one to impress the neighbors, etc., etc., etc. - you're saving money while you do nice things for the planet. And it doesn't matter whether you believe climate change is real or just an evil plot by Al Gore.

Isn't it interesting that the "greener" I go, the cheaper my life gets and the closer I get to ER. Go figure!

I've read most of the posts. Perhaps people unconcerned about rising ocean levels (or that don't see it as a big problem - those Bangladeshis can just move!) may have a different take on how important global warming is when they understand that the Southwest U.S. is becoming uninhabitable because of drought. No problem! Just move!
Global Warming Brings Perpetual Drought to U.S. Southwest
This article is quoting an April 2007 Science article that I read back then, but the Science web site is having problems at the moment, and you have to be a member to bring it up anyway.
"Projections of climate change caused by human activities conducted by 19 different climate modeling groups around the world, using different climate models, show widespread agreement that southwestern North America, and the subtropics in general, are heading toward a climate even more arid than it is today. Appearing today in the journal "Science," the research shows that there is a broad consensus amongst climate models that this region will dry in the 21st Century and that the transition to a more arid climate may already be underway.
If these models are correct, the levels of aridity of the recent multiyear drought, or the Dustbowl and 1950s droughts, will, "within the coming years to decades, become the new climatology of the American Southwest," the researchers said."

So can all those Arizonans and Texans and New Mexicans just move? Seems a little less abstract now, doesn't it?

It was this and other articles that made me more or less rule out the Southwest US

as a place to ER, because I have some possibility of living another 30 years.
But even if we can't STOP global warming, I see it as irresponsible to not do what we can to reduce our rate of fouling the planet.

I choose to live as lightly and greenly as I find reasonable, because anything else would be immoral. Serendipitously, as hguyw says above, it keeps expenses down as well. Way down.

Back
Top Bottom