Mattress Recommendations

Packman

Recycles dryer sheets
I searched on this topic, but all posts were quite old. DW and I need a new mattress and have spent a couple of days in the mattress stores. We are leaning toward a Serta I-Comfort which is a memory foam mattress like TepurPedic, except it is engineered not to retain the body heat that Tempur Pedic ones do. The cost for a queen set was $2,000 but I've negotiated the price down to $1,800 with free pillows, protector and extended warranty.

For anyone that may have this type of memory foam mattress we would like opinions on the comfort, and if it was a problem switching from a conventional mattress. We also are considering a plush pillow top Stearns and Foster for about $500 less. You help is appreciated.

We got a temperpedic knock off from an online company called AngelBeds. Seven years later we still love it. Firm yet squishy. :)

TempurPedic. Have had one for ten years and it's still the most comfortable mattress I've ever been on. Spouse and I were about 100 pounds apart at the time we bought it and heavier ruled the old mattress. We don't have that problem with the TempurPedic. Except for a slight rustle of the covers neither one of us would ever know when there's a midnight trip to the.... well, that's probably just too much information. :whistle:

We have a mattress cover on the TempurPedic and that controls the heat factor for us. I would never have a mattress without a mattress cover.

I think I read somewhere that bedbugs can't get in the TempurPedic material. :yuk: I'm sure someone will correct me if that statement is in error.

We've had a top of the line Stearns & Foster extra firm queen size (non-plush pillow top) for about 15 years and it's still going strong. Back then it was ~$900 for the mattress and box spring.

We purchased a latex foam mattress from Costco recently. We are happy with it and knew if we didn't like it we could take it back. I am delighted that it worked out for us because that puppy is heavy!

Last edited:
Here's where you can read topics and ask questions:
Mattress Forum

We are extremely happy with our Spring Air Latex mattress (comfortable and breathable and does not get "hot spots"). But I confess I would love to have this latex mattress setup on the adjustable foundation:
Costco - Nature's Caress

If you purchase a mattress similar to a TempurPedic, and have even a remote idea you're ever going to move, keep the box even if you have to collapse it and store it against the garage wall.

Here's where you can read topics and ask questions:
Mattress Forum

We are extremely happy with our Spring Air Latex mattress (comfortable and breathable and does not get "hot spots"). But I confess I would love to have this latex mattress setup on the adjustable foundation:
Costco - Nature's Caress

We recently got a Serta latex foam mattress. We liked it better than the Tempurpedic in the store and are quite happy with it. Actually what we have is two twins on a king frame - this reduces the jostling when one of us is tossing and turning.

We have two tempurpedics (king in master, queen in spareroom) and like them alot. I do find them a little warmer than a conventional mattress but not a major concern.

We have a Tempurpedic and I cant imagine ever sleeping on anything else again. We had bought 3 different pretty expensive "normal" mattresses and every one of them got 2 distinct ditches in the spot where we laid on it. Each of them was under warranty and was exchanged for a new one until we finally paid the extra for the Tempurpedic. Its as flat as they day we bought it. We live in Texas and have never noticed any heat retention that we had read about. It does get much firmer in the winter time though.

I recently bought two queen-size latex foam mattresses by Englander, and we love them. I found the memory foam to be like sleeping on a brick, even after lying on the different models at the store for extended periods. The salesfolks were starting to wonder if I though their store was a hotel.

We bought the Novaform Gel w/20yr warranty from Costco on sale for $400 this past year. We were using a Novaform memory foam topper on a Somma tube waterbed that was housed in a regular foam mattress for the past couple of years. We thought it would be very similar in feel since this was the same company. DW and I had back pain from it for the first week and we seriously considered returning it. Decided to put the memory topper on the new bed to help us transition. After two weeks of this, we were able to use the new bed w/o the topper. After our bodies adjusted to the firmness, we're both very happy. Looking back, I'm sure the pain we experienced was adjusting from our old bed getting worn down and too soft due to age even though we had replaced the memory foam topper recently.

We've had. TempurPedic for about 10 years; wouldn't sleep on anything else given a choice.

We've had a tempurpedic for about 10 years and love it. When in England last year for 7 months we bought a much cheaper memory foam mattress and it was also fantastic.

<snip>

We have a mattress cover on the TempurPedic and that controls the heat factor for us. I would never have a mattress without a mattress cover.
What type of mattress cover is it?

We have a TempurPedic and love it as well. We do have a cover on it, but it doesn't help too much in regards to controlling the heat.

So, all you Tempurpedic owners: tell us more about the Tempurpedic. Does it come with its own box spring, or is it supposed to go directly onto a platform bed? I have never seen one. I guess I need to find a showroom that has one, and try it out.

Any ideas on how to get a good price on a Tempurpedic mattress? I know they cost an arm and a leg.

So, all you Tempurpedic owners: tell us more about the Tempurpedic. Does it come with its own box spring, or is it supposed to go directly onto a platform bed? I have never seen one. I guess I need to find a showroom that has one, and try it out.

Any ideas on how to get a good price on a Tempurpedic mattress? I know they cost an arm and a leg.
We purchased the mattress and the 'box' it is placed on. Everything fit fine on our bed railings/frame.

We bought one at a local store...just in case we had any problems.

We purchased the mattress and the 'box' it is placed on. Everything fit fine on our bed railings/frame.

We bought one at a local store...just in case we had any problems.

Thanks! That is much simpler than I thought. I'm especially glad to hear that it would fit in a regular bed frame. I need to buy a new bedroom set anyway, but it sounds like I won't have to buy something special for it. I'll just try one out at a local store, then.

"Old lady" observation about bedroom sets. Many of today's mattress setups result in a bed that you need a step ladder to climb on. Before you buy a box spring determine how high you want your bed to be. Also, take a look at your fitted sheets. You may find that your sheets won't fit the new mattress. A decent sheet set can easily cost $60+.

That's a good point, Brat. I am planning to buy a new bedroom set and a new mattress. Being taller than most women, I find that most beds are just too low for me and hard on my joints to get out of, almost as though I was lying on the floor. So, I usually like the tall beds better. Either way, height is indeed important! But then as you point out, mattresses and box springs are different in thickness as well, so it may be hard to figure out how high a bed really is from the display in a store.

Replacing sheets would be pretty expensive too.

I'm also not sure that I would even like a memory foam mattress. It might just feel weird. Maybe if I tried a memory foam topper first I would have more of an idea.

Last edited:
I'm also not sure that I would even like a memory foam mattress. It might just feel weird. Maybe if I tried a memory foam topper first I would have more of an idea.

It's been a while since we bought ours but, IIRC even the toppers are expensive. So, that could be an expensive test. What DW and I did was lay on the display bed for 10-15 minutes. That worked for us, and the sales folks were very accommodating.

We got a Tempurpedic about ten years ago and love it. At our weekend house we use foam toppers from Costco that work pretty well. Not ready to invest in the real thing down there.

We purchased a Costco foam topper for our main Queen mattress that will probably need to be replaced in the not too distant future. We like the feel of the topper so we would probably like the Tempurpedic. Never wanted to take the financial plunge on a Tempurpedic but it's good to hear that everyone loves them and I'm now considering taking the plunge.

What type of mattress cover is it?

We have a TempurPedic and love it as well. We do have a cover on it, but it doesn't help too much in regards to controlling the heat.
We bought one of the better quality mattress covers from Wal-Mart. You could always put a large beach towel between the mattress and the mattress cover if you're still too warm. Lay it horizontally across the bed where your torso goes. We love our TempurPedic!
So, all you Tempurpedic owners: tell us more about the Tempurpedic.
It's the most comfortable bed we've ever owned and we've owned lots of bed. Our TempurPedic is now 10 years old and this is the longest we've ever owned a mattress.
Does it come with its own box spring, or is it supposed to go directly onto a platform bed?
I agree with the other posters that you don't want to have to jump up and onto your bed. We bought both the top mattress and the bottom "box spring" and the bed is sitting right on the floor. That's a comfortable height for us. Had I kept the waterbed frame, I probably would have just purchased the top mattress so the bed wouldn't be so high.

I know there are knock-offs; just not sure of the quality. Yes, the TempurPedics are expensive; however, we believed, and still do, the price was worth it. Theyr'e amazing.

We bought our TempurPedic locally. Keep the box. If you ever have to move the thing, even from room to room, it helps to shove it back in the box to move it. They're wiggly things when they're up on end.

"Old lady" observation about bedroom sets. Many of today's mattress setups result in a bed that you need a step ladder to climb on. Before you buy a box spring determine how high you want your bed to be. Also, take a look at your fitted sheets. You may find that your sheets won't fit the new mattress. A decent sheet set can easily cost $60+.

It's been a while since we bought ours but, IIRC even the toppers are expensive. So, that could be an expensive test. What DW and I did was lay on the display bed for 10-15 minutes. That worked for us, and the sales folks were very accommodating.

We bought a memory foam at the Dump and love it... we did pay extra for the one that allows heat to be channeled... no problem with heat..

As mentioned by some, check the height of the bed... we had bought a new bed and the guy also sold us box springs... when it was delivered you had to crawl UP into bed... it took me awhile, but they took back the box springs and gave me all my money back... (rant... the guy who sold us them flat out lied when we talked to the manager... he said he told us NOT to buy them but we insisted).. now it is at butt level, so it is easy to get in and out...

My son has a topper... it is a 2 inch topper that my BIL bought... but it was for a full or queen and he has a twin... we just folded it over and he has a real nice bed... and it is on top of a foam rubber bed that I had when I was young (they last forever).... we have tried to get him a new bed, but he says he does not want one...

My BIL had his mattress made... he bought the base foam, a middle foam that is different and then the top memory foam... paid someone to glue it all together... he said it is better than the ones you can buy... this was many years ago when the price was WAY high, so it might not be the way to go today...

Back
Top Bottom