Sleep Number Mattress

Having gone through many different styles of mattress (memory foam, latex, etc.) we bought a SleepNumber i8 a few years ago and it has been wonderful. No more backaches, and no "ruts". We bought the adjustable frame but without the split top (so both sides go up and down together) - means we can use regular sheets. We haven't had problems finding sheets that fit. Got ours with a zero-percent financing deal and it will be paid off this month.

We got ours before they were called "Sleep Number"....they were just called "Select Comfort", I think. I'll say that it's lasted a long time without any problems.

Thanks for the feed back.

Our plan is to watch for the next big sales event and buy one. I'm planning to purchase the adjustable base separately thru Amazon. I'll save quite a bit of $. The only issue will be getting them up our stairs because they are heavy. I'll need to hire a couple of guys for that.

Other than watching for sales promotions, has anyone been able to negotiate a reduced price?

We've had a king size Sleep Number with a thick topper that's lasted us about 15 years. We love it and it does help with my back issues. The pump noise isn't bad and I hardly notice it. We did have to replace the pump a couple of years ago when it failed, and cost us about $250 or so. We negotiated free delivery and set up and a basic king metal frame since we were upsizing from a queen. The frame didn't come with the delivery of the bed, so I refused to accept delivery. The driver got on the phone with the sales manager and they reduced the price another $100 and promised the frame delivery the next day. They followed through with the promise. The bed is very comfortable even after all these years.

Love our Sleep Number bed purchased about 5 years ago. Memory foam is too warm for my tastes. I bought a "cool gel" mattress protector for the lower end model (I can't remember the model -- it wasn't the least expensive but the next level up I believe).

Wait for a sale !!! I got mine 40% off and got free installation with that.

We have what I believe is a knock-off of a sleep number bed in the RV. My number is lower than his, but then he can sleep anywhere and on anything. I've ordered a 2" all latex eggshell (convoluted?) mattress topper from foamorder.com for it because I like a slightly more plush feel and latex won't cause hot spots.

Was tempted by memory foam years ago. Got to try Tempurpedic in a hotel. Too hot for me.

Regular bed is an all-latex Sleep Science mattress from Costco, also with a similar latex topper added from mygreenmattress.com.

We bought Comfortaire online. They used to be part of Select Number and splint off many years ago. The price is much less for basically same type item. We've had ours twenty years and recently replaced some parts for under $500, which has refurbished it like new.

2 things about a bed;

1, go big, nothing under a King, you will get bigger even though the bed can't

and 2, this is one of the few times it is OK to spend money, you can't really put a price on a good night's sleep, it is worth its weight in gold and if you dollar cost average, it is pennies a night.

this is one of the few times it is OK to spend money, you can't really put a price on a good night's sleep, it is worth its weight in gold and if you dollar cost average, it is pennies a night.
Yep, every mattress salesman is ready to tell you how little the MondoQuiltedDeluxeomatic costs per night. But there's no way to really know that a costlier mattress will be more comfortable for you. And, even trying one mattress for a few weeks won't tell us it's the most comfortable one, will it?
Before spending $2K (or much, much more) for $300 worth of materials, it makes good sense to sleep on a few weeks. They make them available for such trials, I will certainly take them up on it. There's a huge markup on most mattresses, and cost does not provide a good indicator of comfort or even quality.

Sounds like the OP has made up his/her mind, so FWIW. I offer a theory at the end regarding innersprings, air, foam and water beds.

We had a Sleep Number king size for 3-4 years, we didn't like it but we kept it that long because we paid thousands for it, finally sold it for 10 cents on the dollar. It's not all bad though, just didn't fit our needs.

Pros:
  • Each side adjustable separately, that's great. DW liked her side firmer than me. Someone mentioned it's noisy when it's filling, and it is, but you're not constantly adjusting. You wouldn't be adjusting in the middle of the night often if at all, so you wouldn't disturb your partner.
  • If you're a back sleeper, I suspect the Sleep Number mattress would be great. This may be a critical factor missing in the posts above IMO.
Cons:
  • We're side and stomach sleepers, and the Sleep Number doesn't do well there IME. We tried almost every setting from about 20 to almost 100. What seemed comfy on my side was different than the best setting for stomach.
  • If I woke up on my side, my shoulder was just aching! If I let air out to soften the bed, my spine would be curved, also uncomfortable.
  • If I woke up on my stomach, my back was aching from being arched too much. If I increased air pressure to straighten my back, and then rolled on my side, aching shoulder again.
We have a latex foam now, and it's been a little tricky too even though we have different firmness levels on each side. And we've had water beds too.

Funny thing is I usually sleep better in a hotel room, almost always a basic inner spring mattresses I assume. So we wouldn't count out inner springs, and that's probably what we'll buy next time, even if air and foam are fashionable these days.

I don't know, but my theory is the independent springs allow the surface to conform without the hammock effect air, foam and water beds can't escape? YMMV!

Last edited:
Before spending $2K (or much, much more) for $300 worth of materials, it makes good sense to sleep on a few weeks. They make them available for such trials, I will certainly take them up on it.

Bought the Casper about a year and a half ago. We love it -- one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever slept on and I always get a wonderful night's sleep.

Considerably cheaper than the ones being talked about here. Delivered to your door and you get 100 days to try it out. If you don't like it, they take it away.

"Aha! Here's another 3 a.m. tweet from Deep Mattress!"

(Edited to add quotes)

messaging adjustable base (flex3), .

Last edited:
Bought the Casper about a year and a half ago. We love it -- one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever slept on and I always get a wonderful night's sleep.

Considerably cheaper than the ones being talked about here. Delivered to your door and you get 100 days to try it out. If you don't like it, they take it away.

DS just bought this, delivered in a nonmattress-shaped box while we were visiting. Fun to watch it magically take shape upon unwrapping! His DW thought it was a little cool the first night (they are running the AC at their house) but both thought it was really comfortable. Will see if they keep it.

I've slept on them a few times in hotel rooms and they were horrible! I make a point to check the kind of beds they have in hotels and try to avoid those with sleep number beds. Just couldn't get comfortable on it.

We bought a $300 king size mattress online (from Zinus IIRC) and it's very similar to the $1000 luxury models at the mattress store. Where we bought it from offered a 30 day money back guarantee so little risk there. 2.5 years in and we're still sleeping in comfort. Breathes well during warm summer months, stays warm during winter. It's kind of on the soft side so we placed it directly on the floor after trying it with a set of box springs underneath. It would be equally as firm on a flat platform bed but I'm still puzzling over what advantages a bed frame brings for a pair of healthy 30-somethings (other than aesthetic - making it look like we're grown ups and not flatmates renting a room during college).

Considering we have scant few outside visitors to our private bedroom (perhaps two in the past decade), I'm okay with the bed-on-floor aesthetic.

Sounds like the OP has made up his/her mind, so FWIW. I offer a theory at the end regarding innersprings, air, foam and water beds.

We had a Sleep Number king size for 3-4 years, we didn't like it but we kept it that long because we paid thousands for it, finally sold it for 10 cents on the dollar. It's not all bad though, just didn't fit our needs.

Pros:
  • Each side adjustable separately, that's great. DW liked her side firmer than me. Someone mentioned it's noisy when it's filling, and it is, but you're not constantly adjusting. You wouldn't be adjusting in the middle of the night often if at all, so you wouldn't disturb your partner.
  • If you're a back sleeper, I suspect the Sleep Number mattress would be great. This may be a critical factor missing in the posts above IMO.
Cons:
  • We're side and stomach sleepers, and the Sleep Number doesn't do well there IME. We tried almost every setting from about 20 to almost 100. What seemed comfy on my side was different than the best setting for stomach.
  • If I woke up on my side, my shoulder was just aching! If I let air out to soften the bed, my spine would be curved, also uncomfortable.
  • If I woke up on my stomach, my back was aching from being arched too much. If I increased air pressure to straighten my back, and then rolled on my side, aching shoulder again.
We have a latex foam now, and it's been a little tricky too even though we have different firmness levels on each side. And we've had water beds too.

Funny thing is I usually sleep better in a hotel room, almost always a basic inner spring mattresses I assume. So we wouldn't count out inner springs, and that's probably what we'll buy next time, even if air and foam are fashionable these days.

I don't know, but my theory is the independent springs allow the surface to conform without the hammock effect air, foam and water beds can't escape? YMMV!

I use a body pillow to help with side sleeping. It works great!

Highly recommend Tuft and Needle. Bought a king from them for $750. 100 night free trial. If you don't love it they donate it to a local charity. Loved not having to deal with the local bedding stores and the pricing games. Wife and I love the feel of the new bed. JMHO

Question for the congregation: When you embark on a free mattress trial period, what happens to your old mattress? Stored on its side in the bedroom, then removed by the new mattress company once you accept their mattress?

Amethyst

I have never heard of a company taking the old mattress except as part of delivery of the new. If you decide to hold on to the old mattress, you are responsible for disposing of it.

I simply called our trash collection company and said I will put out an old mattress on trash day. They said fine, just put it in a plastic bag.

When Casper sends your mattress, there is an oversized plastic bag in the box you can use to dispose of your old mattress.

No cost, no problem.

DS's old mattress is leaning on the inside of his garage until big item trash pickup day.

I suggested he just rotate every 100 days among all the mattress companies' trial periods. You could have a one delivered by a new company a few days before the earlier one gets picked up.

DS's old mattress is leaning on the inside of his garage until big item trash pickup day.

I suggested he just rotate every 100 days among all the mattress companies' trial periods. You could have a one delivered by a new company a few days before the earlier one gets picked up.

That's not a bad idea if you're renting short term somewhere for a couple months. "Eh, I decided I don't like the mattress after all!" Get refunded then move on to the next rental apartment and 100 free day trial. :D

As for the question of "what to do with an old mattress"? Craigslist it. HUGE demand for used mattresses. Everyone wants to stick a mattress in their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc bedroom for guests but many don't want to pay more than $80-100 for it. Comfort and newness isn't always first priority. I've sold several mattresses in the past few years. One I priced at $80 and had probably a half dozen interested buyers in the first day, so I know I priced it too low. Other mattress really sucked, like horrible. Think I got $60 for it. Yet another one had rips on it and was also bad. Sold it too.

In other words, you can get paid to allow someone else to haul your old mattress away. :D

This was news to me. Have always read and heard that people absolutely fear and loathe strangers' old mattresses (even unstained ones). So I checked CL. There were no mattresses for sale in my (affluent) area, but "other nearby areas" had many mattresses for sale in the $40-$80 range. Thanks for the tip!

Amethyst

As for the question of "what to do with an old mattress"? Craigslist it. HUGE demand for used mattresses. Everyone wants to stick a mattress in their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc bedroom for guests but many don't want to pay more than $80-100 for it. Comfort and newness isn't always first priority. I've sold several mattresses in the past few years. One I priced at $80 and had probably a half dozen interested buyers in the first day, so I know I priced it too low. Other mattress really sucked, like horrible. Think I got $60 for it. Yet another one had rips on it and was also bad. Sold it too.

In other words, you can get paid to allow someone else to haul your old mattress away. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom