Sleep Number Mattress

have had one for several years - love it. you have to check the # (pressure) nightly, as temperature and atmospheric pressure will alter it thru the day. I've gotten in bed on hot days and seen it all the way up to 100

This was news to me. Have always read and heard that people absolutely fear and loathe strangers' old mattresses (even unstained ones). So I checked CL. There were no mattresses for sale in my (affluent) area, but "other nearby areas" had many mattresses for sale in the $40-$80 range. Thanks for the tip!

Amethyst

None for sale in your affluent area = you've got the market cornered already :)

I chuckle when I see a gross-a$$ mattress on the side of the road or in an illegal dump site in the 'hood. Hmmmmm... some febreeze and a little carpet cleaner and I could make $50 from flipping that sucker... I might save this little hustle in case my 4% rule thing doesn't work as expected. :D

I was SHOCKED there was so much demand for used mattresses but after talking to many of the craigslist buyers it was clear they were sticking them in a guest room to be used between 0-2 times per year and they didn't really care how awesome the bed was. You usually don't want guests getting too comfortable and staying long term anyway, right? Killing multiple birds with one stone. I like it.

By way of introduction, I've been sleeping on air mattresses for about 25 years. I started with Select Comfort and have since moved onto Innomax (same as Air Beds Unlimited).

Initially, I found the experience a life saver. I'd not found proper comfort on any other type of mattress. However, I have not had luck as good as others have with regard to durability. Looking back, I have never had an air mattress of any brand last longer than two years without starting to leak an an unacceptable rate.

I was once waiting for customer service with Select Comfort, and started browsing the internet to look for the cost of spare parts, as I would sometimes replace the air bladder, without replacing the rest of the bed. As in other industries, the wait is much longer for customer support than it is for Sales.

I found Innomax online and ordered the replacement air bladder from them. As I recall, there were some advantages in design and cost, but I have run into the same issue - namely, the air bladders last about 18-20 months in every single case. Perhaps it's because I've moved a lot, or because I toss and turn, but either way, I've come to accept that the cost of my air bladder is about $0.50 a day. It's worth it if there's no other alternative. Having said the above, I acknowledge that not everyone has had this problem.

I'm now going to explore the mattress market again to see if there's an alternative to replacing my mattress every 18 months.

We have a sleep number mattress at our vacation condo and at home. The home one is great. The condo one has problems. It was fine until we replaced the carpeting with hardwood floors. Then the plastic mattress base began cracking and popping. Too noisy now to get a good night's sleep. We took it apart and put it back together. Still noisy. We're going to replace it soon.

We got a Sleep Number p6 split king (2 twin xls) with adjustable base 3 years ago and like the mattress very much. We don't use the adjustable base features very much at all - I thought DH would use it to vary his sleep position to help with his spinal issues, but it didn't work out that way. It's the best sleeping mattress I've ever had, though. We definitely have different preferences for support so that's also helpful.

Funny, we just bought this exact same model and setup this past weekend - to be delivered 4/21. I found it to be very comfortable in the showroom. DW has upper cervical issues and this should assist her in getting comfortable. I snore like a buzzsaw and she is hoping that this can reduce that as well. ;)

We have a sleep number mattress at our vacation condo and at home. The home one is great. The condo one has problems. It was fine until we replaced the carpeting with hardwood floors. Then the plastic mattress base began cracking and popping. Too noisy now to get a good night's sleep. We took it apart and put it back together. Still noisy. We're going to replace it soon.
never got the plastic base pieces. just put a piece of plywood on my old box springs and put the side cushions and air mattress on that. saved couple3 hundred $

Had one for many years - truly happy with it. Left it at my parent's house when we did our retirement-turned-sabbatical in 2011. Used it every time we visited. Finally sold it when they moved to assisted living. Didn't buy another one for our current 2-year final work sentence, but kinda wish we had. Generally nothing but good things to say about the product.

Been looking at these beds (was just in the store today). Still thinking about it. I love my mattress.. but it is almost 10 and I have back issues. I have been wondering if the bed could be hindering my healing.

Our Sleep Number i10 360 split Cal King was delivered and set up on Friday and I love it :dance: :dance: :dance:. My hip pain is just about gone...still twitches just a bit, but I'm sure I can get rid of it with adjusting my 'number'. DH is still on the fence as to whether this bed is better than the one we had.

We get new mattresses when we wake up with aches and pains on a regular basis and that was my problem with our 7 year old top of the line mattress. At times I couldn't fall asleep because my hip pain was so severe.

WRT noise, the pump is almost silent. When reducing air, all you hear is a click, adding air is almost silent and certainly wouldn't wake anyone up. Adjusting head and/or foot is a bit noisier, but wouldn't wake either DH or me up.

WE have had ours for 13 years and it still is awesome. Best bed I have ever owned. The pump broke a number of years ago and they sent us a new one. My chiro said this is the best bed on the market and his always last 20 years at least.

We wound up buying a Comfortaire, which they stopped making within weeks/months of our purchase. It is a third party brand by Select Comfort - that makes the sleep number bed. It is identical except for the bells an whistles (technology). LOVE IT! It took a few months for my back issues to subside. The bed MAY have been a factor.

Some nights I sleep with it softer than others. Love having the ability. I should mention that I did swap in a latex topper into the layers. I had bought a quality latex topper in desperation and was going to add it to our old bed. There was no way to return it so I used it.

Yes, they are expensive. But so are high-end standard mattress sets. I've had my i8 for three years now and it remains one of the best investments I ever made.

Back
Top Bottom