Mesh shoe repair

My grandmother said you may be able to darn the mesh using a navy thread. She said that they use to repair socks by darning the hole. She said it was very common in her day. Probably a video on YouTube. She also said there are cloth press-on (not iron-on) patches. After you darn the shoe, cover the patched area on the inside with one of the press-on patches cut to a little larger than the hole and where your toe rubs the mesh.

Yes - get needle and heavy thread (doubled) and sort of "re-weave".

Then maybe superglue a bit of cotton cloth underneath to protect it from tearing again.

If you are seriously interested in repairing your shoe, you can out bid everyone else and buy this nifty shoe repair machine on ebay.
(Note: click to enlarge--it's an impressive-looking piece of machinery).

Last edited:
Love mesh shoes also. Wear Sketchers. Wear soles down after about 1200-1500 miles. Spend another $70.

Love mesh shoes also. Wear Sketchers. Wear soles down after about 1200-1500 miles. Spend another $70.

The OP's Olukai shoes are great. I have a few, but they are expensive unless you buy from places like eBay and the like. Your mention of Sketchers is a good one. Their shoes are decent and a good value. The other value shoe that I have found to be very comfortable and durable, believe it or not, is the skateboard brand, Vans. Their insole is super comfortable and the rubber on the soles seems extra heavy to put up with the demands of skateboarding. Lots of colors, including mesh. Pricing around $50-$60 depending on what the upper is made of.

Update

We tried to attach a patch inside the shoe, using different patches and compounds, but without success. There is a soft porous material inside under the mesh that won't bond with anything. So I contacted the shoe manufacturer (OluKai), they confirmed the shoe has a 1 year guarantee and indicated I should contact the seller (Zappos) who offered to refund or replace. My original purchase price was 40% off list and the refund won't buy much, so I chose replace, and they just arrived.

They left me the old pair, so I'm going to experiment a bit more with patches and darning.

Back
Top Bottom