metal detectors and treasure hunting

Now you have made me curious about how the things work.. if you can find gold, you probably could find titanium! I have only ever seen the detectors at the beach,

Maddy the Turbo Beagle said:
BUM: I wouldnt have thought of the beach. Let the tide do the work for you. Otherwise, sounds like quite a bit of digging. What kind of booty have you found (besides the obvious babes at the beach) ;)

Hi Maddy,

MD'ing on the beach is a lot easier than inland. Think kitty litter sifter rather than real digging tools. Hunting high on the beach yields "people junk" like coins, hotel keys, cell fones, beer cans, sometimes jewelry. Hunting near the shore line at low tide yields older, more interesting things like stuff from old wrecks. I've found some spanish silver coins, english coppers, a couple flying eagles (pre civil war pennies), tons of fishing tackle.

You may want a rig that can survive being dropped in the surf. Even though my motto is "Dig 'em All", I guess I'm truly retired because if the digging starts to feel like work I move on. A gold ring 3 inches down sounds similar to a stop sign at 3 feet!

Bottom line(s) - Its alot of fun. I have jars filled with all my cool stuff. I'm thinking of building a glass topped coffee table with a felt shelf an inch or so below to show off the stuff.

Hi Maxi,

I use ebay to check the value of some coins, but I've never sold anything (yet). I enjoy the BS value, when the guys come over. "You found THAT on the beach!?"

Note to all MD'ists in general and coin collectors. Ever think about selling those stashed silver coins? Now could be the time. Silver is way up. I have a bunch of silver (from my days as a part time toll collector). I'm at least gonna dump the Canadian quarters and dimes.

Back
Top Bottom