Minimalist. Your thoughts?

I watched the documentary last night and did enjoy it. It discussed quite a bit more than just the minimalist movement and I would recommend it.

There was a statistic that just blew me away, and that was in regards to advertising $ spent that is aimed at children. In 1983, there was about $100 million spent on it and in 2008 (I think that was the year), it was $19 BILLION!!! So no, we won't have to worry about extreme consumerism going anywhere anytime soon.

I've been influenced by the minimalism trend, and I enjoyed the documentary. Well, I found it 80% enjoyable/inspirational and 20% insufferable. But I guess that's the Gen X in me, never wanting to be part of any "in" thing.

Overall I've found "owning less stuff" and "being less consumerist" to be compatible with LBYM and early retirement. I think tiny houses are adorable but we chose a more practical small condo instead, and the resulting savings allowed us to exit the rat race five years sooner than planned.

I still own plenty of books and too many tea cups but we're down to four bath towels, one set of sheets (wash and dry the same day), and my closet is only three feet wide. Overall, it's felt liberating, but the biggest benefits have been financial ones.

Five extra years of retirement just from downsizing. Not too bad of a deal.

SIS

Just watch a documentary last night on Netflix's called "The Minimalists". I know it is not a new concept to most people and has been discussed in some threads when people downsize or simplify their lives before/after retirement. I do like the idea of reducing the "stuff" in our lives. However, then got me thinking if everyone adopted this thinking and behavior we would most likely see high unemployment and a big drop in the stock markets because everyone stop buying stuff they really do not need. I know this is probably not going to happen because these people are addicted to spending for temporary gratification and are not going to change. This concept seems to appeal more to the "Millennial" generation so it kind of concerns me that over time it will have a impact to the economy and my portfolio :). Then I wonder if the Millennial's are the new "Hippie's" of the 1960's that will eventually become the "yuppie's" of the 1980's-2000's. Personally (age 53) I see ourselves reducing or moving our speeding from "stuff" to experiences (i.e. travel) or to supplement healthcare costs. I'm not trying to make any point here. Just wanted to see if anyone saw the documentary and had any thoughts on this topic.
I didn't see the documentary, but I'd be willing to bet your stated concern won't be an issue on the consumption side for the reason you state in red. Hippie generation idealism hasn't had any staying power to speak of. Declining real income seems a more likely concern, minimalism out of necessity? But that could change too!

Last edited:
Five extra years of retirement just from downsizing. Not too bad of a deal.

Even one year of not working is a big deal to us. I don't know how big a trend minimalism is in general, but the Internet helped open my eyes to the benefits of living with less stuff, less overhead and more free time. If I had to do it over I would have bought a much smaller house. I never realized the extra time and expenses involved in maintaining a larger than we really needed home when we bought our current house years ago. Plus it is easy to fill a bigger space with stuff. I like the following youtube video on middle class clutter:

"Follow a team of UCLA anthropologists as they venture into the stuffed-to-capacity homes of dual income, middle-class American families in order to truly understand the food, toys, and clutter that fill them. Series: "A Cluttered Life: Middle-Class Abundance"

Last edited:
We watched "The Minimalists" on Netflix last night too. What a fascinating and well done show! Thanks for pointing it out. It sure gave us food for thought.

Something F and I felt was not stressed enough in the show, was the near brainwashing that we all experience at the hands of Madison Avenue. They know all about consumer psychology and use every trick in the book to increase their clients' sales. Or at least, so we speculate. Anyway, we think that advertising has a huge effect in fueling our hunger to buy, buy, buy. I know that I have been a lot happier since I started sheltering myself from exposure to advertising at least a little bit. It seems nearly impossible to avoid all advertising, though.

While we are not convinced that we (or most people) would enjoy minimalism to the degree shown in this show, we both think that we are happier when we keep things pretty well decluttered and simplified. But still, I feel a need to own a shower curtain, for example, something that the minimalists mentioned and did not seem to feel was a necessity. We have each lived happily in a 400 sf apartment when younger and felt we had plenty of space. Our present houses are each 1500 sf, and as discussed in the show, we really don't use all that space.

Last edited:
I saw it last night and recommend it highly....especially during the holiday season...

While we were living in Mexico we mostly fit all our possession into two suitcases each. Occasionally we owned more for a specific purpose or time, but always back down to the minimal level when moving on. Here in Austin, TX we have obviously expanded while living in an apartment and working, but as soon as we pull the trigger this next year it will all be sold off and/or discarded, including the car. Back to two suitcases each as we return to Mexico to set up our home base for retirement travel.

We will be leasing a furnished apartment there, so even though our possession will expand it won't have to be by much. It's very nice to live this way, much preferable to the old three-bedroom with three-car-garage full of ever-increasing junk!

I haven't seen it but its in the queue. I've watched a few on the whole tiny house movement which obviously forces minimalism. I think some of it is ramifications of the recession and some of it is technology change. ie do they really have less stuff or it is just all digitized so what use to take bookcases and massive entertainment units now fits on a tiny handheld.

For us its a way to manage my OCD and his ADHD; if our stuff was out, we would be unbearable to live with. We digitized everything we could, bought furniture that does duel duty as hidden storage, and spend money on organization. Everything has a purpose and a place, so if it doesn't fit, you need to get rid of something so it does fit.
Plus we move often (another thing it seems more millennials do than previous generations).. so less stuff is good and furniture really does take beating when you move no matter how much care you take.

I don't have a Netflix account, but my SO does, and she is still signed in on my computer. I think I'm going to ask her permission to watch this documentary on her account :)

BTW, I couldn't find a documentary on Netflix called "The Minimalists" but there is one called "Minimalism: A Documentary About The Important Things" It was made in 2016, so I assume this is the one that is being discussed in this thread?

BTW said:
is[/I] one called "Minimalism: A Documentary About The Important Things" It was made in 2016, so I assume this is the one that is being discussed in this thread?

You are correct.. My bad... It is called "Minimalism". I was surprised it keeps my interest. Not really my kind of documentary. I thought it was well done and gave me some food for thought. Probably no chance of me becoming a "true" minimalist, but I may adopt some of their thinking that would improve my life and happiness.

I just finished watching it. Had to separate it into a few parts, as I found it a little dull at times. This is probably not due to any shortcomings in the film, but because the general message of minimalism and frugality has always been second nature to me.

My parents were classic depression-era types and although the house I grew up in wasn't spartan by any means, money was valued, and purchases were thoughtfully made. On watching this film, my initial thoughts were that the message in the documentary was obvious. However, on seeing the various folk in the film who spoke of previous lives in which they had been addicted to consumerism, it struck me that this is an addiction that wasn't a widespread problem before our current consumer society really began flourishing. I'd argue that even nowadays, while some form of thoughtless consumerism probably affects many people, it only severely affects a certain proportion of the population. Some people abuse recreational drugs, others max out their credit cards, but both sets of people are attempting to seek happiness by "filling a hole".

To me, seeing all these folk talk about what a revelation minimalism was to them seemed a bit like watching someone talk about how their life is so much more meaningful since they gave up alcohol and found (i.e. became obsessed with) religion, for example. In the meantime, I'm watching it, and sitting perfectly happily with a glass of wine, while wondering what's wrong with moderate and thoughtful consumption. However, we do now live in a very different society from the ones that many of us grew up in, and I guess a lot of folk do lose their way. Anything that encourages people to use and enjoy their money wisely is a good thing, in my book.

Along similar lines, I do recommend watching the 2002 4 part documentary from the BBC, titled "The Century Of The Self". I didn't watch all 4 episodes, but did watch at least the first part, and possibly the second (it was a while ago). It details how Freud's theories of psychoanalysis have been used by the big ad agencies to sell things to people that they don't need, by using advertising to link mass-produced goods to their unconscious desires. Beginning at the start of the 20th century, when advertising tended to be much more straightforward and informational, the stark contrast with our modern consumer society that the ad agencies did much to help create (along with the marvel of modern mass-production) is very evident.

Last edited:
Very interesting. In my opinion this film is however a long way from a judgment free look. It too is a powerful attempt to sway opinion.

Ha

They know all about consumer psychology and use every trick in the book to increase their clients' sales. Or at least, so we speculate. Anyway, we think that advertising has a huge effect in fueling our hunger to buy, buy, buy.

One of the more enlightening elective classes that I took in college was one in advertising. You are absolutely correct. There are lots of very smart people working diligently to make people want to buy stuff they didn't know they wanted. They call this "creating value for the consumer".:LOL:

I still get the newspaper and I never look at the ads. They are just a way to get you to think you need stuff you do not. We downsized to a 1400 sq ft house 5 years ago. It is 3 bedroom so we each have a home office as we each do some work from home. Mine is also the guest room. Before I buy something now I ask myself if I will be hauling this to the thrift shop in a few years. I never go shopping to look. When I need something I usually buy online. In the last 10 years I have greatly reduced my possessions. My kids buy us gift cards to new restaurants as they know we don't want stuff. None of my kids are big on having lots of things. They are not minimalists but just a happy medium. When young people say they can't afford for 1 parent to stay home to watch the kids it is because they are living a much higher lifestyle then we ever did. They are making a choice.

I finally watched this last night. So many familiar faces there! I have, at different points, consumed the books and blogs of many of the different people they interviewed. We first downsized in 2010 and then lived in a 14-foot pop-up camper for the majority of 2011. To this day the wife says that was her favorite house. She misses it.

I really enjoyed the trip down memory lane, revisiting the philosophy behind owning less things. Thanks to the OP for mentioning the film!

I got about halfway through it then started watching the American Pickers marathon with DW.

I think the short guy, Frank, is a closet minimalist. He rarely picks anything.

I watched about half too. Seemed to get repetitive quickly, and in general was anecdotal. I'd like to see info from a larger sample size. I'm not against the idea though, if someone likes that approach to living that's cool by me.

I watched about half too. Seemed to get repetitive quickly, and in general was anecdotal. I'd like to see info from a larger sample size. I'm not against the idea though, if someone likes that approach to living that's cool by me.

Yes. I noted that the anecdotal comparisons were generally made to extreme hoarders/collectors making the minimalists look obviously wiser in their lifestyle choices. I'd like to see some lifestyle comparisons where the minimalists are extreme and they are being compared to everyday folks who own a modest home which is well kept and uncluttered.

Last edited:
I'm so minimalist I don't do Netflix! :LOL: Come to think of it, I don't have a TV.

But unless you get the wrong idea, the house I am building has two garages: a two car, and a single car. I will also have a decent sized work shop. I intend to fill them all with wood working and automotive tools. :D

ps. I'm just giving the minimalists someone to shoot arrows at. :cool:

Hey! My income is going to be about twice my living costs so why not? I absolutely hate airports and have no desire to do the international travel thing. I would much rather stay home and tinker or build something. I'll probably buy a nice camper and truck to do some travel around the U.S. too. So you folks don't have to worry. I'll keep the consumerism thing going for you!

I signed up to get this through the library. It will probably be several months to get it.

I watched this documentary a couple of nights ago, and like others I wasn't impressed. The documentary didn't provide much insight into the concept. There was one short segment that got me thinking: a homeless guy (on purpose) claimed that he had reduced the sum total of his possessions to about 50 items. So...how many items are currently traveling through space and time with me? Treating everything that can be individually handled as a separate item (e.g., each sheet of paper, each paper clip, etc.) but not including any disassembly (e.g. a computer is one item, not thousands), my extremely rough estimate is around 20,000. However, this might be wildly inaccurate, which is a little frustrating. I mean, how well do I really know my life if I don't even know my possession count? :confused:

Looks like Spicoli was ahead of his time :cool::
Thanks, best laugh of the day so far...:LOL:

As for the OP, it's a little premature to worry about it IMO, lots more imminent IF you want to worry.

We've definitely decluttered and downsized, and we don't miss "stuff" at all - it was unexpectedly (mildly) liberating. But I am sure we don't qualify as minimalists.

Last edited:
This concept seems to appeal more to the "Millennial" generation.

Personally (age 53) I see ourselves reducing or moving our spending from "stuff" to experiences (i.e. travel) or to supplement healthcare costs. I'm not trying to make any point here. Just wanted to see if anyone saw the documentary and had any thoughts on this topic.

I saw a post on Twitter yesterday that showed how the average Millennial's income is about 60-65% of overall average income. That doesn't help you acquire as much stuff, although part of it is likely that they have not moved into their peak earning years anyway.

The supposed trend that you see with all of these "tiny home" shows would demand that one become a minimalist to fit in 200-300 ft2.

I concur with the shift from stuff to experiences. I think I get more satisfaction from memories and photos of trips than stuff I have.

My millennials are not minimalist but their parents are. We get free Netflix account from them. As my youngest kid confessed she felt guilty to be the one with the highest income in a household this year so she signed up for Netflix and let us use it. Frankly except for watching the Crown, we haven't used Netflix much.

Back
Top Bottom