Moving to Florida from NJ

rathgar

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hoping to move to Florida from NJ. Looking along the east coast from north to central Florida area.
Those who live in the area:
what attracted you there?
are you happy there?
if you moved from another part of the country how was your adjustment?
For those who moved away from family - was it difficult to make friends in Florida?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Within your target zone I've lived in Jacksonville and near Cape Canaveral.

I was active duty in the Navy and job transfers took me to both locations. Retired from the Navy while in Cape Canaveral, then moved to the Tampa area because that's where I found a job.

My wife and I liked both locations. We liked Jacksonville enough that we were hoping to move back there, but the job market did not cooperate. Would have been happy to stay near Cape Canaveral if I had found a job there. We're very happy where we are now in the Tampa area, probably happier than we would have been in either Jacksonville or Cape Canaveral. Both of us grew up in northern states and both of us prefer a warmer climate.

Lots to do in Jacksonville. Large metro area, and naturally lots of traffic.

Cape Canaveral is small town, and very touristy at times due to nearby Cocoa Beach and the space center.

As a military family, we were used to moving and had no trouble adjusting with any of our moves. Chain stores and restaurants minimize some of the differences between cities in my opinion, whether you patronize them or not. Florida summers are hot and humid. I'd think about avoiding neighborhoods with too many tall trees because they will reduce the winds and their cooling effects, and encourage larger numbers of mosquito-like creatures. Bugs love me, no doubt due to my animal magnetism. : )

We found that making friends in Florida was about the same as making friends anywhere else, at least in the neighborhoods where we lived (not on the military bases).

Although we chose our current location due to a job, we are physically closer to family now than we have ever been before as a married couple. But it was purely a coincidence. Pros and cons to living near family.

Why Did You Move to Florida?

would like to hear main reasons why people chose Florida to move to.
Thanks

Moved from Maryland in early 2020 to St. Augustine area. My wife and I love it here. We live in World Golf Villages, single level family home 3bedrooms/2 bath.

Took me less than a day to adjust. With Covid, Florida (St. Johns County) was not a bad place to be.

Benefits are;
Low cost of living compared to Maryland -- Baltimore/DC
More house for your $$$
No income tax -- which means ss, pension and RMDs are not taxed
People have posted real estate taxes and insurance are more expensive
-- I have not found that, our insurance and taxes are less compared to similar
-- property in Maryland
Weather is hot/humid in the summer, but no worse than the summers in Maryland
If you like water activities, this is the place to be -- can be outside/on the water
-- all year
Nice grocery stores; Publix and we are getting a Buc-ee's
Can play golf year-round, there are a lot of nice low-cost courses and some world
-- class ones too
Decent medical care if you are close to metro areas
There seems to be a pharmacy on ever corner

Cons:
Snakes, bugs, fire ants...
Potential for severe storms
Costs of water -- public utility
Tremendous growth / people moving to FL on-going
Jaguars
May need to drive 20-30 minutes to get to Costco, shopping centers...
There are some,not many that are wary of Yankees crossing the Mason Dixon line
Snow birds especially in southern Fl. increase traffic crowding in stores
--- and restaurants
The heat in July, August & September, but you go to the beach, pool and do your
--outside activities early and pace yourself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom