Moving to the Bay Area?

One more fast question....
Several years ago, I confronted a burgler in my home in a suburb of SFO. I detained him against his will for the police but the whole time we were fighting, my concern was not for my own health and safety but for what the State would do to me if I were to detain him in such a manner as he couldn't leave until the ambulance got there.
They have since addressed that problem in Florida where I reside because you are no longer required to flee from a confrontation.
No, California is having serious problems from which they will never recover: As long as the illegal immigration influx continues unabated, and illegals can effect changes in local and state policy, California will continue to falter.
As a matter of fact, the US needs to get rid of that whole "Send me you huddled masses" policy.

It is supposed to snow in the Bay Area this weekend. Down to 2000 feet. Put the bike away! :p

Kramer

Maybe as low as 1000 feet I heard this morning.

Came down to below 800 feet about 7-8 years ago.

Freezing rain in DFW tonight/tomorow/maybe Sunday...

But then it was 80 the past two days... Texas weather!!

Currently at 6 degree in Minneapolis. Teens on Sunday and 20s on Monday. It's getting warm. :-[

Spanky and all: Am so sorry. Should have asked the question. Does California still have the legal mentality where you have to demonstrate that you were in fear of bodily injury and possible loss of life to use a firearm for self or property protection ?

While the high cost of the Bay Area certainly causes a lot of problems, I will say one nice thing is there generally isn't a lot of crime. You pretty much have to be an educated professional to afford to live here, and most crime is committed by your neighbors, so I feel very safe walking around at night in most areas up and down the Peninsula and even in the "seedier" areas of San Francisco. There are some places in the East Bay that are a bit iffy, but for the most part the Bay Area is a great place to feel free to move and be out.

You don't even need a gun to protect your property here 8)

I agree with fireme that I would consider most areas safe.

Statistics-wise, San Jose is generally considered the safest large city (> 500K people) in the US. San Francisco has roughly twice the crime rate of San Jose, which I believe puts it below average safety-wise. Oakland is really bad, but I have never even visited there outside of the airport and I have lived here for over 10 years. A good friend of mine was recently robbed in SF, and she suffered a concussion. But that is just anecdotal, of course, what matters more is the stats.

San Francisco recently passed an ordinance that will require all private citizens (including former law enforcement, etc.) except for law enforcement to turn in their handguns to the authorities by April 1, I believe. I find this unbelievable, but then, that is why I don't live there. It was being challenged in court. I went out to eat in SF on Friday evening and I was reminded just how expensive things are there -- we ate at an average restaurant that charged 50% more than a superior restaurant nearer to me, but these were friends from out of town. Living wage laws, high rents, and anti-biz regs raise the cost of everything in SF.

Kramer

Back
Top Bottom