Music videos

Oh my, that was lovely and so powerful. Brought tears to my eyes—thank you for posting it!

Bringing back a slightly old thread. Heard this the other day and really liked the version of Amazing Grace, done by a rock singer. Kind of a Disturbed "Sound of Silence" type where it builds up. The singer is from Brazil, and he does a lot of cover songs, this one is recently quite popular. I think I did this embedding correctly?

Here's the web link:

This one came up on my You Tube page tonight, seems like Howard Stern really gets some great performances from truly great artists on his show!!

This one came up on my You Tube page tonight, seems like Howard Stern really gets some great performances from truly great artists on his show!!

Wonderful version ..and I couldn't help but get distracted by Steve's unusual instrument.
Thought it was a mandolin at first because of the sound ...but I noticed he was playing typical guitar chords G, C & D with his left hand ( not mandolin stuff ) and it's got 12 strings, not 8 like a mandolin.
So what the heck is that thing?
I poked around and found it:
https://www.veilletteguitars.com/acoustic_merlin.shtml
It's a "guitar" that's tuned an octave higher than a guitar, with doubled strings to get the mandolin sound. Pretty nifty...

Pretty cool.

I was a big SM fan having grown up in his golden age of the 70s. Was happy to see him in concert in 1992. Unfortunately, that concert kind of slowed me down on live performances. We haven't been to many since, especially outdoor.

DW and I were 30, and we were surprisingly old. The "kids" (early 20s) filled the place, which surprised me at first, but then I remembered he had the "Abracadabra" days.

Damn those kids were nuts. Vomit was flowing through the isles. There were fights. One guy got bounced for throwing stuff at the stage. This was after Steve spent 5 minutes chatting about social justice issues.

I attributed it to the fairly new "shed" concept where people tailgated all day and got blasted. As for Steve talking too much -- he did. But the music was absolutely excellent and he had a hell of a band with him.

Jetairliner was probably my favorite rock song of the 70s, especially when included with "Threshold," and not cut.

In later years I learned that Miller heard the original version by Paul Pena, which was unreleased. Pena's version is more bluesy, slower and less funky. Steve liked the blues. This all made sense.

Both are good. Here's Pena's version, which was eventually released a few years after Miller's.

Jetairliner was probably my favorite rock song of the 70s, especially when included with "Threshold," and not cut.

In later years I learned that Miller heard the original version by Paul Pena, which was unreleased. Pena's version is more bluesy, slower and less funky. Steve liked the blues. This all made sense.

Both are good. Here's Pena's version, which was eventually released a few years after Miller's.

Yeah, when I was looking for Jet Airliner by SM, I ran onto this one and listened. Very good blues song. Of course, I'm used to SM's version - and I agree it's an absolute 70's classic! They just don't make 'em like that any more. I guess I'm still stuck in the 60's and 70's (still some good stuff into the 80's - but I pretty much quit listening in the 90s with a couple of exceptions.) It's tough getting old though YMMV.

If I live so long, I dread the day that the oldies stations will be playing Rap/Hip Hop! I just saw a news article saying that those genres were now 50 years old. GAAAaaaaacckkckk! Where DOES the time go?

Back
Top Bottom