Music videos

The first time I saw the Edgar Winter Group play "Frankenstein" live, I was blown away by Edgar's musical skills:

Not sure you old geezers will appreciate this, but man when this randomly comes up in the playlist in my vehicle, this gets some volume:
(Matthew Sweet, Sick of Myself, 1995)

"I'm beginning to think...Baby you don't know"

A little later version of Matthew Sweet, from his Sid and Susie days in 2006 with Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles. Sorry, all of you Linda fans, but I think that this is the definitive version of the song - I just melt with her singing!

I love this one in "unplugged" (acoustic) version (though I'm sure that organ isn't a pedal/pump organ nor is the bass a standup doghouse.)

And here's an even more stripped down version (no organ or bass.) Song begins after interview at about 3:15.

The first time I saw the Edgar Winter Group play "Frankenstein" live, I was blown away by Edgar's musical skills:

In 1969 Edgar's brother Johnny had a breakout album that really caught my ear. It got me started on an exploration of the blues genre. Looking back, that album was arguably one of his best, as he got caught up in heroin addiction that remained an ongoing problem for decades. Edgar got some playing time on one of the cuts on this album, "Drown in my own Tears," a hit tune for Ray Charles in the '50s. And of course he went on to back up Johnny on other albums as well.

I've noticed that Edgar is far more articulate than his brother in interviews -- I suspect that drugs were at least part of that. Johnny isn't the the only musician to damage his career that way, but cosidering his powerful debut, it makes me kinda sad.

Yep, Gord is one my all time favorites. RIP indeed.

Apparently one of the Guess Who's favorites as well:

And Gord returns the favor (not exactly a music video, but a tribute BY Gordon TO the Guess Who.)

Yep, Gord is one my all time favorites. RIP indeed.

Apparently one of the Guess Who's favorites as well:

Burton Cummings does an funny impression of Gordon's unique style in his concerts. Here is an audio sample.

Black Crowes - She talks to Angel's

Love this song..

When my mood dictates, I often play this Black Crowes song in conjunction with "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan. I consider that at least below the surface they are referring to heroin addiction. Addicts often claim experiences with angels in the reverie of the drug.

I know there are other themes each song writer had in mind, but both songs are sad in their own way and a tragic cry to avoid addiction. Of course, that's subjective so YMMV.

God bless Steve Goodman for writing this song. But Arlo Guthrie is the one who turned it into one of the greatest train songs ever. Arlo, not Willie. Arlo tweaked some of the verses that Steve wrote and I wish he had left some of them alone. But Steve really didn't know how to play or sing this song very well. Some of his recordings of this song are almost painful to listen to. Other times you're just blown away by some of his guitar licks. Arlo really understood this song. If I have my way (I probably wont'), they could play this song at my funeral some day. But I want this version played. Arlo's voice changed so much over the year and he just doesn't sing it in the classic way anymore.

I've looked for a YouTube of it, but can not find one: Larry Lujack (Ol' Uncle Lar from radio station WLS - who was a DJ (on and off) from the late '60s until about 1987 I think) used this song to demonstrate the proper way to pronounce "Kankakee" which is a city located only about 40 miles south of Chicago.

This may have been on "Animal Stories" with Little Snot-nosed Tommy (Edwards.) Anyway the gist was that too many people pronounce the city's name as Kank-a-kee. While Uncle Lar "proved" that the proper pronunciation was actually "Kan-ka-kee because that's the way Arlo pronounced it in this song.

It was a lot funnier than it sounds here, but then, You had to be there. And I was. Returning you now...

Poco Rose of Cimarron.

Speaking of Poco, I'm not certain when Randy Meisner left Poco to Join Rick Nelson's band and then on to Eagles, but he had a hiatus from Eagles and did some solo w*rk. From that solo album, I really like this song.

Wait in the track - HARDY and Lainey Wilson
Powerful Song !!!! I might have just Fargo'd his azz and married her....

Back
Top Bottom