My Battery Testers Collection

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Guess I don't need any more battery testers :)

Pictures of the ones I have which are most accurate, from left to right.

Attachments

• testers.JPG
    testers.JPG
    614.3 KB · Views: 18
I have the first one on the left. Is that the most accurate or the least accurate?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I have the first one on the left. Is that the most accurate or the least accurate?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I consider that the most accurate. But it takes a steady hand too as one hand holds down the battery, the other hand a probe.

Last edited:
I'd like one of those 12V auto battery load testers (like they use at Autozone and other places to test your battery), but it's hard to justify the cost for something I wouldn't use that often. And I'm not sure how accurate they are. If they work well and identify a failing battery before it leaves you stranded, I can see it being worth it.

I'd like one of those 12V auto battery load testers (like they use at Autozone and other places to test your battery), but it's hard to justify the cost for something I wouldn't use that often. And I'm not sure how accurate they are. If they work well and identify a failing battery before it leaves you stranded, I can see it being worth it.
You could probably measure the voltage across the battery terminals while someone else cranks the car's starter motor.

Last edited:
I'd like one of those 12V auto battery load testers (like they use at Autozone and other places to test your battery), but it's hard to justify the cost for something I wouldn't use that often.

WV requires an annual safety inspection so during that I ask the shop to do a load test on the battery/charging system. Since the car is already in the shop they only charge ~$3 for the extra test. I guess buying a tester would make sense, paying for it over ten years but by then it'd probably be obsolete.

This looks to be pretty good ( even if it is HF )

Digital Automotive Battery Analyzer

The quick-change oil places will do a battery load test for you - they never charge me (they hope to sell a battery). The real mechanic I last went to for oil change and tire rotation did a battery load test w/o asking. Same thing, they hope to sell you a battery.

It's a good check, when they've told me my battery is marginal, I've noticed that it has been cranking a little slower than usual. But then I go check prices at Costco, Walmart, etc - then change it myself.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom