Tesla specific question

RetMD21

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Is it necessary or even useful to preheat? It's 50ish out and I don't mind if the car is a little chilly for a couple of miles. I think turning the climate control on also preheats the battery but I am going to use about 5% of the battery capacity for my trip today so range isn't a concern. Is using electricity from the wall better than using part of the charge from the battery for heating?

I preheat for my own comfort.

Tesla is doing a decent job of looking after the battery. So I leave that to them.

Thanks. I knew about Trip Planner heating the battery en route to optimize fast charging and thought maybe there was something magical about preheating before driving. :)

If you have a supercharger in your navigation route, the Tesla will automatically preheat for supercharging as you get closer to it. This is important as it speeds the charging process allowing the car to use the full power possible. Even in warmer temps the car will precondition the battery for supercharging.

Seen in many times on my long road trips. :)

Tesla just emailed this article about winter driving. Notice that there is snow on the ground, ha ha.

https://www.tesla.com/support/winte...rce=sendgrid.com&utm_term=23q4_tips_v2_batch1

I think just turning on the climate control will work best for me. I noticed that you can choose which seats to heat. Lacking any consistent work commitment I don't need to set scheduled departures.

I imagine that other EVs have something similar but it is an adjustment coming from ICE

Yeah, last night I told the car (via the app) to precondition this morning by 7:30 am because it was going to be 55 out and I had an early appointment.* The car was not plugged in - it already had 70% charge.

But sometimes 15 mins before we head somewhere I just set the climate remotely if it’s really hot or cold and I want the car to be comfortable.

Generally at home I don’t plug the car in unless we need to charge overnight.

*And then I have to remember to turn the schedule off.

Last edited:
50 years ago I used to preheat the battery in my car so the darn thing would start in 20 below weather. What a pain.

Enter frigid car. Turn on headlights for an exact count of 60 seconds. Turn off lights. Sit in frigid agony for another exact count of 60 seconds. Set semi-automatic choke ('74 Mazda rotary.) Pray fervently. Turn key. Only one (at most two) tries to start. Punch the throttle several times to prime (long before fuel injection) as the engine caught. Hope that today's high would exceed zero and head to Megacorp.

50 years ago I used to preheat the battery in my car so the darn thing would start in 20 below weather. What a pain.

Enter frigid car. Turn on headlights for an exact count of 60 seconds. Turn off lights. Sit in frigid agony for another exact count of 60 seconds. Set semi-automatic choke ('74 Mazda rotary.) Pray fervently. Turn key. Only one (at most two) tries to start. Punch the throttle several times to prime (long before fuel injection) as the engine caught. Hope that today's high would exceed zero and head to Megacorp.
No wonder you moved to Hawaii! :cool:

Tesla just emailed this article about winter driving. Notice that there is snow on the ground, ha ha.

https://www.tesla.com/support/winte...rce=sendgrid.com&utm_term=23q4_tips_v2_batch1

+1 I just saw and read this article from Tesla yesterday. Many good tips and REASONS for scheduled departure setting for cold weather. Last winter, when I would start my drive to work, it would often take 15 minutes of more until the regenerative braking and other normal driving functions were working well if I did NOT have the car scheduled for departure.
Now that I'm retired, its not that much of an issue! :dance::dance:

I remember those days of carbureted gas engines. I'm glad that we have better options. Turning on warm up in the app is awfully easy :)

You forgot the screwdriver to prop the choke open after flooding the darn thing. For old vw a 100 watt lightbulb in the propulsion machine comprtment which covered with blanked worked well in Fairbanks at 30F below zero.
BTW how does Tesla fare at -30F?

You forgot the screwdriver to prop the choke open after flooding the darn thing. For old vw a 100 watt lightbulb in the propulsion machine comprtment which covered with blanked worked well in Fairbanks at 30F below zero.

Better than any other car I have used in 40 years.
Unlike an ICE, the small battery only needs to start the computer.
The start-up is flawless, and the heat starts flowing within 5 seconds.

There is range loss, but that hasn’t impacted me over 11 Minnesota winters.

The light bulb wasn't possible with the Mazda because I was snowed out of my driveway. It was 150 yards from the house.

Now, back in the '60s with my old Oldsmobile, I did use a 100 W light bulb under the crank case. I had to manipulate the automatic choke to get the thing to start and keep it running. What a great time to be alive.:facepalm:

Better than any other car I have used in 40 years.
Unlike an ICE, the small battery only needs to start the computer.
The start-up is flawless, and the heat starts flowing within 5 seconds.

There is range loss, but that hasn’t impacted me over 11 Minnesota winters.

I understand the electrical system, w*rked 15 years with electric trains, 4 300 HP motors per train, with dozens of computers in propulsion/braking/ATP/ATO systems. Both AC and DC motors.

Curious, is that parked outside overnight at -30F?

Last edited:
I understand the electrical system, w*rked 15 years with electric trains, 4 300 HP motors per train, with dozens of computers in propulsion/braking/ATP/ATO systems. Both AC and DC motors.

Curious, is that parked outside overnight at -30F?

No, it was in an unheated garage. There were a number of early owners north of the arctic circle. If you are really curious you may find more information at the Norway Tesla club.

I did leave our Model S in an airport parking lot for 6 days (not plugged in). Started easily,, although I doubt it got to -30.

I let premium connectivity expire after the free trial but I am thinking of resubscribing. I really liked the Spotify access through the car rather than using bluetooth through my phone. The cost isn't a big deal but it is a bit of an annoyance. I miss Android Auto

Back
Top Bottom