My Last "Goals" Meeting

My Last "Goals" Meeting

I'd guess it's a follow-the-money situation. The C-suite execs need to report achievement of *something/anything* to the board so that they will be given their very large bonuses. The C-suite execs get to *achieve* a goal by simply requiring goals from everyone, and they don't actually have to do any of the work of meeting with subordinates to set goals - win-win.

Checkbox management, I always called it. Management checks the box, but accomplishes nothing of value.

All true and, yet, if you’re the kind of person who cares enough to work nights and weekends (or can maintain an illusion that you do, or you want to avoid your family, etc.), have a high pain threshold (all the easy problems get solved before they reach you), are enjoy or are yoked to a high consumption lifestyle and, for one psychological reason or another, you have an ego that requires you to perform and achieve above others, then why not go for it and take the cash? I figure people who trade the majority of their life energy as required to climb the ladder generally earn every penny. YMMV.

Last edited:
My Last "Goals" Meeting

Thanks for all the replies! I love them all. And I totally relate to the PTSD related to goal setting. And just have to ask - if everyone hates goal setting so much, why do companies waste their time on it! I'm a boss and I have to try to extort goals out of people and mostly end up getting "do your job" goals anyway.

Why goals? Because it provides an easy documented roadmap to identify who to fire without a formal RIF. “Look, we really like you John, but you’re underperforming, so here’s the door”. It lowers the risk of lawsuits.

My last mega was a pro at this. In order to avoid the bad PR with a RIF, they would regularly fire a couple people here and there for “poor performance”, being careful to not trip the state reporting requirements. They did the big RIFs too, but used this as an interim approach.

Last edited:
Congrats RobotMom

I told the men the last few months before I retired that I was RIPPED - Retired In Place Pending Exit Date

Seriously, it was nice to slow down to the retirement date.

Congratulations on soon opening your next Chapter of Life

gamboolman....

My last year at megacorp for goals I actually wrote on the form my goal for the year was "retire this year" and left the rest completely blank, and submitted it through the formal system. I was in a safe position that they needed me more than I needed them, and my boss knew I was short timer. I had already transitioned to part time, but still doing as much as my coworkers did full time.

My boss said that I had to fill out the form, so I just put down the required flowdown goals from above mgmt and didn't worry about it. You know the typical corp goals that become dept goals that become group goals that become personal goals. Such a waste of time, all so it makes onto some presentations flowing back up.

Back
Top Bottom